Mega Thread The Big Roughy IS IN THE CLEAR!!

Sep 11, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Every game, the talk seems to centre about Roughie.

A few years ago, he was missing easy set shots and people shrugged it off as something that he will 'get better with age'.

Two years on, he's gone backwards in many regards. Where he was once arguably the second best young tall in the competition, he's gone massively downhill.

So what does it mean for him? Dad said to me whilst watching the game that he thought he'd signed with the Gold Coast - and whilst I don't hope that's true, it makes me wonder ...

If not, Wallsy had it right when he called Jarryd lazy in the last quarter.

Something needs to give. If he's not going to kick straight, not going to lead, do we turn him into a back? ...

trickynat

Debutant
Aug 18, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He's probably in the dressing room having his last shower with the Team for a while - time to soap up with Box Hill for a while and not come back until he's hungry and wants to work for the privilege of playing for the Hawks!

Aug 15, 2009
The Riverina
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Every game, the talk seems to centre about Roughie.

A few years ago, he was missing easy set shots and people shrugged it off as something that he will 'get better with age'.

Two years on, he's gone backwards in many regards. Where he was once arguably the second best young tall in the competition, he's gone massively downhill.

So what does it mean for him? Someone said to me whilst watching the game that they thought he'd signed with the Gold Coast - and whilst I don't hope that's true, it makes me wonder ...

If not, Wallsy had it right when he called Jarryd lazy in the last quarter.

Something needs to give. If he's not going to kick straight, not going to lead, do we turn him into a back? ...

I was just thinking exactly that. Something is drastically wrong with Roughy, he just doesn't seem to care, there is zero effort. Frankly at this point he is a major liability to the team. Can't help but wonder if he is heading to GC. They need to bring in Dowler immediately, at least he will have a go and he is a much better kick than roughy.

Northhawker

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2009
Over the river
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melb Heart, SA Spurs
He was pathetic. Wont chase, wont work once the ball hits the deck, and continually misses easy shots at goal. Needs a spell with Box Hill along with Murphy who is simply not up to it.

bigbuddyboy

All Australian
Oct 10, 2009
Ivanhoe
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
A lot bigger worries than roughy in my opinion.

The whole team is down (hodge and buddy exempt), we have worse players, and worse NON-PLAYERS who are representing the hawks at the moment.

Murphy is the worst player in recent history. He wouldn't get a game in an under 18 team. And that's the truth. Anyone ACTUALLY SERIOUSLY believe otherwise?

EightyNineChamps

All Australian
Apr 21, 2009
Down a few blocks
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This year it has been the same with Roughie, absolutely Zero efforts, if it looks a little hard he puts up the white flag!!!!

I don't want to hear anyone trying to defend him either, Yeah I know he had a few mates that were just passengers, but ffs he is one of the key blokes in this side and if he can't rise today of all days and put in the 1%'s then it's is off to Box Hill till he can show some desire and effort.

And don't even get me started on lack of effective tackling, I don't care what the numbers say we had, I reckon we only had about 20 effective tackles all night.

GAS PANIC

All Australian
Dec 22, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
His kicking has really become embarrasing and I cringe when he gets it which is unfortunate as he usually is a great mark. I agree with the general opinion of most poeple that he should be thrown into the back line as the so called 'gorilla' while someone like dowler or schoenmakers goes foward just for structural purposes.

WA Hawk

Debutant
Jul 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
A lot bigger worries than roughy in my opinion.

The whole team is down (hodge and buddy exempt), we have worse players, and worse NON-PLAYERS who are representing the hawks at the moment.

Murphy is the worst player in recent history. He wouldn't get a game in an under 18 team. And that's the truth. Anyone ACTUALLY SERIOUSLY believe otherwise?

Didn't everyone say that about Dawson?

Roughie needs to head to the backline and monster CHB.

Wasn't Drago recruited as KPF? Instead of trying to turn into into the monster, let him play to his natural advantages and get Roughie having to work.

SergioGeorgini

Cancelled
May 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Was absolutely useless tonight. If Clarkson had any balls he would send a message by dropping him. Season is over anyway.

But of course he won't. The stubborn dwarf wouldn't even move him into the backline tonight but instead persisted with him in the forward line even though it was blindingly obvious he had zero impact. His kicking for goal has been s**t for ages, besides one good patch last year.

Drop him then bring him back as a backmen. Has been the most overrated player in the competition since 2008.

His work rate is poor and unfortunately I see that at training blame it on coaches as they are not providing the right messaging he is out of contract and I would not be forking out to much for him.

Either backline or box hill. Like many of our players he has went downhill quickly

there are one or two players have improved since 2008 namely Cyril the rest went backwards which is due to the coaches

Hawksgirl4eva

All Australian
Oct 7, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
he should be going to Box hill, and if he doesnt lift this season and he keeps on showing this lazy effing attitude, i will send him a ticket to the gold coast and then take him to their stadium myself.
if it means that we dont lose players who are actually TRYING then bye bye roughy.

but of course it will never happen, the angry dwarf migget effing num head(picked that line up from my dad) will never drop him, clarko seems to have a thing for players that simply cant play.

lickmerocks

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2007
heaven
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers, Kings,
I personally think there is something going on with him that we havent been told and its only a gut feeling. I saw the same things/signs going on with Hay and Thompson for a couple of years.

Looks disinterested and would prefer to be playing at Leongatha with his mates.

worke rate and effort is non existent.
Body language and general demeanour is terrible.

Someone needs to remind him that playing AFL on a Saturday night in front of 60 thousand people is not all that bad.

I havent seen him crack a smile for about 12 months.

Back