Mega Thread The Big Roughy IS IN THE CLEAR!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Rough being at where he is must be the hreatest moral boost for the rest of the group one could ever wish for. It is almost impossible to guess where we would have finished with playing all season, but he couldn't take part in any of it.
The main thing is he has the all clear on the "C" scare, so whatever he can contribute will be a bonus.

Rough is far and away our most important player. Not just for his impact all over the ground, but also his presence and leadership. Many are underestimating the impact of him playing on the team, even if his output is low.

Rough being at where he is must be the hreatest moral boost for the rest of the group one could ever wish for. It is almost impossible to guess where we would have finished with playing all season, but he couldn't take part in any of it.
The main thing is he has the all clear on the "C" scare, so whatever he can contribute will be a bonus.
Precisely. You almost wonder in fact whether he'll do a Jason McCartney and pull the pin after that one game. All depends on what levels of fitness he'll regain. Def not expecting to see him play on the ball, however. Instead likely will be a stay home forward – which will be awesome I reckon.

Precisely. You almost wonder in fact whether he'll do a Jason McCartney and pull the pin after that one game. All depends on what levels of fitness he'll regain. Def not expecting to see him play on the ball, however. Instead likely will be a stay home forward – which will be awesome I reckon.
Roughy is not the type to retire like that
If he thought he couldn't give the entire season, he'd have retired already

No chance.

Jason McCartney came back as a statement of human spirit against the perpetrators of the act of terrorism in Bali. His comeback was a poignant stand made by one but on behalf of many.

On the flip side there are plenty of professional athletes who have competed post cancer. Rough can just come back for Rough.

Just put on a Hawks Swans match on the IQ box.
Meant to watch the 2014 gf but chose the wrong game, the rd16 gf rematch at ANZ stadium (the one with the exposed bolt threads).

Geeze we were brutal then. It's the middle of that 3 week stretch where we belt 2 legit contenders in Freo & Sydney by 80 & 90 odd points. Then follow it up by mashing Carlton by 130ish..

Anyway. This is Rough's comeback game from the first melanoma surgery.
Hopefully a sign to come for his 2nd comeback against Essendrug*.

That first quarter was woeful from us from memory
Wasn't too bad. Port were just manic in their attack. They couldn't capitalize on the scoreboard due to our defending causing them to have set shots from difficult spots and most general play shots being under pressure. We managed to weather the storm in the first quarter before soundly beating them over most of the rest of the game. Our guys switched off and into preservation mode a bit too early and let Port get a sniff of blood.

Wasn't too bad. Port were just manic in their attack. They couldn't capitalize on the scoreboard due to our defending causing them to have set shots from difficult spots and most general play shots being under pressure. We managed to weather the storm in the first quarter before soundly beating them over most of the rest of the game. Our guys switched off and into preservation mode a bit too early and let Port get a sniff of blood.
Yes - our last quarter wasn't that great either!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had a stroke in the last 10 minutes.
I was really unwell and on heaps of pain medication (but still went to the pub to watch it of course). Was with a Hawthorn hating friend who was getting very excited in the last few minutes. I remember not feeling stressed perhaps a lot longer than reasonable due to the drugs I was on - and then there was that Ebert kick .... and I was a wee bit nervous at that point.

I had a stroke in the last 10 minutes.
I wimped out, I'm ashamed to say
When Port got it back to under a goal, I turned off the TV and walked laps around the lounge room shaking
Then I checked the score on my phone, and only when it said "final score" did I put the tv on again
Never in my life have I done that, I just couldn't stand it
Funnily if I'm at the game I'm not nearly as nervous

When Port got it back to under a goal, I turned off the TV and walked laps around the lounge room shaking
Then I checked the score on my phone, and only when it said "final score" did I put the tv on again
I did that once but on the radio.
Was the 87 prelim when Stynes gave away 15m penalty for Bucky to goal after the siren.
Couldn't bear the last few mins thought it was all over then wow we had won, amazing the euphoria!

I have that too! Way less nervous/angry/crazy when at the game.

I stick with it - Port's last goal elicited an incredibly loud '* OFF HAWTHORN' which invoked an eye roll from the wife and scared the dogs. I stuck with it though, but that was likely more damaging to my vital organs. Same in the 2013 prelim, I basically didn't say a word from sometime in the second quarter until the ball was cleared right before the 'get the hearse for the curse' line at which point I'm pretty sure anyone living near me would have heard me go ballistic.

It is different at the game though. I was at the 2012 preliminary and didn't get anywhere near that level of despondent when we were on the rack. I guess being amongst numerous other Hawks fans fills with more positivity and hope.

I was with a bunch of Eagles and Dockers supporting mates, all of whom were going for Port and getting very excited.

I remember being unnaturally calm about it. Though once the final siren went my hands were quite clammy

Yep. At the game I'm relatively calm.

On TV all hell breaks loose. I think it is not being able to see the whole ground on TV which makes it harder to watch.

My bro hates watching games on tv with me, I think I yell more at the tv than I do at the game. I think it's the extra agro of the commentators. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back