The BigFooty Aston Villa Army

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 7, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Rabbitohs, Villa, McLaren F1, ENG
Mod Edit: continued from http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?p=24223971#post24223971

Wow, McLeish not only has killed our season, he killed this thread as well.
Ding dong the witch is dead!!

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~2771920,00.html

Aston Villa can confirm that Alex McLeish's contract has been terminated with immediate effect.

tumblr_lwvoq6Atq51qii6tmo1_500.gif

tumblr_lwvovz1Z281qii6tmo1_500.gif

New signing Brett Holman was also asked to comment

00046113-leadimage.jpg

Says it all really....

Aston Villa: Season stats highlight horror showing under Alex McLeish
Source
After yesterday's news that Alex McLeish had been relieved of his duties we can reveal the stats that highlight why it was a decision that had to be madem by Randy Lerner.

■ Joint lowest club position in the Premier League (fifth from bottom), in common with 1994-95, 2002-03 and 2005-06.

■ The lowest number of club goals ever, 37, in top-flight football (i.e. since 1888). The previous worst was 2005-06 (42).

■ The lowest number of club wins in top-level League football (7) since 1986-87 (eight, relegation year).

■ The lowest number of club wins in the Premier League (7) – the last worst was 2005-06 (10).

■ The lowest club points tally since the relegation season of 1986-87 (25 years), when they finished with 36 points.

■ The lowest club number of points in the Premier League (38) – the last worst was 2005-06 (42).

■ Equal highest club number of home defeats in the Premier League (8) – the last was in 1993-94.

■ The least number of club home wins ever in top-flight football apart from 1890-91 when five were won at home, but only 11 home games were played then (19 now). Only two games were lost at home in 1890-91 (8 in 2011-12).

■ Four is the least number of club home wins ever in top-flight football at Villa Park (i.e. since 1897).

■ One home win since November 5 (13 home matches).

■ Villa finished this season with ten league games without a win (D5, L5) and scored just twice in their last six matches. W 2 D 9 L 8 since the start of the 2012 year.

■ Villa have drawn 17 Premier League matches this season, equalling the most ever in a 38-match season, with Newcastle United (2003-04) and Villa themselves (2006-07).

■ Villa have failed to win all eight Premier League matches they have played on a Sunday this season.

■ Villa have lost 22 points from winning positions this season, more than any other club in the division.

Know much about his time at Molde mojito?

I'd be very excited about this if it happens. Hopefully he is given some time and get us playing some attractive, attacking football.

Know much about his time at Molde mojito?

I'd be very excited about this if it happens. Hopefully he is given some time and get us playing some attractive, attacking football.

He led Molde to their 1st championship in 100 years last year. That was an effort and a half in itself.

9 games into the current season and Molde's sitting 2nd, one point behind Stromsgodset. Davy Angan, striker, is joint top of the goalscoring charts, with 7 in 9.

He's doing well. Would have thought he'd want a bit more time at Molde to develop further, but it was always likely that he'd end up (at some point) at a higher-level club.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer ends interest in Aston Villa job

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has pulled out of the running to be the next Aston Villa manager.
The 39-year-old Molde coach had talks with Villa on Friday about succeeding Alex McLeish, who was sacked on 14 May.
"Solskjaer wants to stay in Norway with Molde, living in his home town and not disrupting his family. He wasn't offered the job by Villa although he impressed Randy Lerner in talks on Friday. Villa are understood to be sympathetic and not devastated and Lerner is relaxed about the process."

But it emerged on Tuesday that the former Manchester United striker no longer wants to be considered.
Villa are sympathetic to Solskjaer's reluctance to uproot his family and owner Randy Lerner will continue to consider other candidates.
Norwich manager Paul Lambert, Swansea's Brendan Rodgers, Wigan boss Roberto Martinez, who turned the Villa job down last year, and Brighton manager Gus Poyet have all been linked with the vacancy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18170050

Looks like OGS has pulled out

Looking like it's going to be Lambert. Apparently he has had a bust up with Norwich and walked out...

hmm very interesting

Paul Lambert has reportedly resigned from his post as Norwich City manger following a bust-up with club officials.

The Scot is said to have reacted angrily when his employers refused to grant him permission to speak with Aston Villa.
http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/norwich-city/news/paul-lambert-quits-norwich_29184.html

PAUL LAMBERT quit as Norwich boss last night. The Scot resigned following a furious bust-up after the club refused to give Aston Villa permission to talk to him.

Lambert will walk into the vacant Villa job, with owner Randy Lerner and chief executive Paul Faulkner identifying him as their No 1 choice yesterday

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...Norwich-after-furious-row-over-Villa-job.html

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think the home kit looks great, not a fan of the wedge under the neck though. Will definitely think hard about ordering one.

Fixture

West Ham away opening day isn't going to be an easy assignment.

Also, like previous seasons we have some horrible stretches...

United (H), City (A), Arsenal (H) in a row is close to as tough as it gets.

Liverpool (A), Chelsea (A) & Tottenham (H) in the space of 12 days isn't much easier either.

Where abouts do you lot order your Villa shirts from? I've usually gone with kitbag for prem league clothing. Not sure which other online stores are worth looking at.

I'm definitely going to get the home kit this season. There are a few retro t-shirts as well that look quite decent. Here's hoping next season brings about a bit more joy...but looking at those consecutive games Goose posted, it ain't going to be easy.

Where abouts do you lot order your Villa shirts from? I've usually gone with kitbag for prem league clothing. Not sure which other online stores are worth looking at.

In the past I have just used the official website. Not sure if they are much more expensive than other websites, but if the difference is small I'd rather the money go directly to the club than some other distributor.

Looks like this is going to happen...

Source

Feyenoord's Karim El Ahmadi is target for Aston Villa
Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert is homing in on Feyenoord midfielder Karim El Ahmadi to become his first signing.
The 27-year-old Netherlands-born Moroccan international has been with Feyenoord since signing from home town club Twente Enschede in 2008.
But new Villa manager Lambert is now keen to bring him over to England.
"We're in talks at this moment, those talks are ongoing and we hope to reach a positive conclusion with Feyenoord and the player," said Lambert.
"Karim is a player who I feel could definitely improve our squad.
"He has experience of big club football and also at international level.
"He can pass the ball well and he could be an important player for us in central midfield. Let's see how things progress. We're very hopeful."

Also strong rumours we have Peter Whittingham coming back to the club from Cardiff.

Apparently very close to signing Yacine Brahimi from Rennes. Mid/wing type. Only 22 years old.

On loan initially with an option to buy after the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back