Society & Culture The BigFooty Guide to getting the non-gender specific person of Your Desire (Part 8)

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I love MMA, trained in boxing and MMA for a number of years but i cant defend the general pub crowd of a McGregor card. The regulars who show up for a fight night card are pretty normal people but the hoardes are morons and for some reason seeing the violence on screen makes them dumber, drunker and more aggressive.

I must say I haven't been to a pub for a UFC in a long time, much prefer watching at home by myself or with some mates.

Some relations went to a pub for McGregor v Khabib and they got in a blue, though I think they're the morons you're talking about.

At the Melbourne UFC (Whittaker v Adesanya) the crowd around us were normal, basically a footy crowd. There were two absolute dribblers though, i saw one come back to his seat with 4 beers, though he was buying 2 at a time for he and his mate, fair enough. Then his mate came back with 4 for himself!

The main dribbler in the pair had one main catch cry "COME ON GUYS, BLEED FOR MELLLLBBBBBOOOOUUUURRNNNNEEEE!", said it over and over, yeah these fans give the rest of us a bad name.

Generally much more enjoyable to be honest. 5-10 mates, two mates bring slabs, someone brings barby stuff and snacks. $55 day with food, drinks and mates.
Should hook up a tv outside. So beers & bbq & spa and men fighting until the death.

Sounds like a great wayto spend an afternoon

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I must say I haven't been to a pub for a UFC in a long time, much prefer watching at home by myself or with some mates.

Some relations went to a pub for McGregor v Khabib and they got in a blue, though I think they're the morons you're talking about.

At the Melbourne UFC (Whittaker v Adesanya) the crowd around us were normal, basically a footy crowd. There were two absolute dribblers though, i saw one come back to his seat with 4 beers, though he was buying 2 at a time for he and his mate, fair enough. Then his mate came back with 4 for himself!

The main dribbler in the pair had one main catch cry "COME ON GUYS, BLEED FOR MELLLLBBBBBOOOOUUUURRNNNNEEEE!", said it over and over, yeah these fans give the rest of us a bad name.

The "Just Bleed" MMA fans are truly awful.

Apr 3, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney

ive been to one ufc fight and im fairly certain everyone with small man syndrome in melbourne was there.

that being said i was at the bayswater hotel so i only have myself to blame

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
ive been to one ufc fight and im fairly certain everyone with small man syndrome in melbourne was there.

that being said i was at the bayswater hotel so i only have myself to blame
The beer barns, the true birth place of MMA

I avoided them like the plague

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
To be honest i think the internet was the birthplace of MMA, or at least have resulted in the growth of it. And yes the MMA forums can be interesting places ha ha
They would have live streamed from the carparks in the 70 and 80s every Friday and Saturday night

Feb 17, 2006
Terror Lake
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Isotopes
To be honest i think the internet was the birthplace of MMA, or at least have resulted in the growth of it. And yes the MMA forums can be interesting places ha ha
IIRC it gained mainstream attention when there as a lockout during an NBA or NHL season. MMA and poker tournaments stepped into the breach for ESPN and stayed.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't like MMA at all, but UFC is a phenomenon. UFC 1 was actually in 1993, and they are up to 500-something now. Dana White and friends bought it for $2m and sold it for $4b within 15 years. The Chuck and Tito doco on ESPN is interesting to see how it grew from the early days. The highest rating event ever had 2.4m pay per view buys. The first event had 80,000.

I appreciate the skill of boxing and martial arts but watching someone get knocked to the canvas and their opponent comes flying in to punch/kick them in the head before they've landed and needs to be dragged away by the ref, yeah nah no thanks.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't like MMA at all, but UFC is a phenomenon. UFC 1 was actually in 1993, and they are up to 500-something now. Dana White and friends bought it for $2m and sold it for $4b within 15 years. The Chuck and Tito doco on ESPN is interesting to see how it grew from the early days. The highest rating event ever had 2.4m pay per view buys. The first event had 80,000.

I appreciate the skill of boxing and martial arts but watching someone get knocked to the canvas and their opponent comes flying in to punch/kick them in the head before they've landed and needs to be dragged away by the ref, yeah nah no thanks.

I believe the UFC is one of the most well run sporting orgs in the world, the pandemic has shown that too, i reckon in April last year there was only horse racing and UFC to watch. They have a vertically integrated model, their own streaming service, roster of fighters, even own arena in Vegas where they had events without crowds. They even appear to have influence in the right political areas to allow them to operate pretty seamlessly during the pandemic.

The way they market their fighters is second to none too, sporting orgs around the world should analyse this, particularly when it comes to marketing women sportspeople. Ronda Rousey was a phenomenon and there was no tokenism about it, they put some resource behind her and helped make her a star, she was the biggest draw post Lesnar and pre McGregor, headlined some massive shows.

That sale for $4b is interesting, while it's true it doesn't say how much they sunk into the business, lucky the Fertittas have deep pockets. They also had influence on the Nevada State Athletic Commission, it would appear the Fertittas knew NSAC would sanction MMA there before they bought the UFC, meaning they got a real bargain.

Also since the sale to WME the UFC is probably worth around 6-7 Billion now i believe, astonishing really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Agree 100% about the business. Wasn't that long ago MMA was barely a niche sport, now the elite level comp of it is worth billions and the top fighters are household names. They definitely promote the individual aspect of the sport. If 1m people want to watch Connor McGregor or Ronda Rousey then they make sure those athletes see their share of the purse. You draw you profit.

Aug 13, 2007
Vancouver
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oilers
Agree 100% about the business. Wasn't that long ago MMA was barely a niche sport, now the elite level comp of it is worth billions and the top fighters are household names. They definitely promote the individual aspect of the sport. If 1m people want to watch Connor McGregor or Ronda Rousey then they make sure those athletes see their share of the purse. You draw you profit.

I don't think I can name any others. A guy at my kids gym actually made the card once though. I've watched a few of the events. It's not bad when you get a bunch of people together, bit of a bbq, place a few bets etc. I actually perfer boxing but MMA is run so much better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back