Home & Garden The BigFooty Guide to getting the Real Estate of your Desires

Remove this Banner Ad

Paging The Dice Man

How's the rennos going??
Each weekend I'm greeted by dozens of boxes of furniture to assemble. Last weekend it was 2 wrought iron library shelves that are 3.4 metres high. This weekend it was a 16 piece wardrobe/cupboard unit for the main entrance. Hopefully I have less work this week and can get the tiling done in the kitchen and then it's close enough for some photos.

Each weekend I'm greeted by dozens of boxes of furniture to assemble. Last weekend it was 2 wrought iron library shelves that are 3.4 metres high. This weekend it was a 16 piece wardrobe/cupboard unit for the main entrance. Hopefully I have less work this week and can get the tiling done in the kitchen and then it's close enough for some photos.

Just keep plugging away at it, that's all you can do.

Can't wait to see the photos

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Selling Houses Australia because they usually have homes with the same issues that everyone has, and realistic budgets (at least as stated, you have to laugh when Shayna says 'I only have $20k' then proceeds to renovate an entire house). I look at it more for ideas to improve my own house without spending thosuands on the wrong areas rather than thinking about how I can pull the wool over the eyes of a potential buyer if I sell it.

After they have shown the house and the suburb I play a game where I try to guess how they will fix up the house so it will sell.

Shaynna uses a lot of paint in the latest fashionable colours. She pretty much clears out all the existing furniture and brings in new stuff to make it look like a modern display home. New light fittings and window dressings. She adds a lot of art to the walls. And cushions! I've never understood the obsession with having 10 cushions on a bed that you have to throw on the floor before you can get in it, but that's what seems to be in vogue. It's not clear how much of these things are paid for by the sponsors of the show and how much the owners have to fork out.

She saves money on bathrooms by spray painting everything then modernising the taps. Kitchens can be spray painted and/or flat pack units installed. Changing internal walls to improve livability can be cost effective.

It's all about emotional appeal. But the trends can change quite quickly. If you are going to spend money on your house to improve the sale price then do it just before you intend to sell so you can incorporate the current fashions. If you are not planning to sell then improve your property to make it even more enjoyable for you to live there.

A bigger lesson that they don't spell out is to not buy a property that will be difficult to sell.

Like the look of this
capi_091c9f8cb4baae2924ddb89b63f5b5c0_d9941bf57851d1970bdf8d858c232ded.jpeg

capi_091c9f8cb4baae2924ddb89b63f5b5c0_90eb507a81140c40305b0618bd1cf947.jpeg

It would need to be North of Sarina to be able to have no walls in winter

After they have shown the house and the suburb I play a game where I try to guess how they will fix up the house so it will sell.

Shaynna uses a lot of paint in the latest fashionable colours. She pretty much clears out all the existing furniture and brings in new stuff to make it look like a modern display home. New light fittings and window dressings. She adds a lot of art to the walls. And cushions! I've never understood the obsession with having 10 cushions on a bed that you have to throw on the floor before you can get in it,

They should challenge Shaynna one time- to decorate an entire house without cushions.

Good. Luck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back