Home & Garden The BigFooty Guide to getting the Real Estate of your Desires

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually have a job interview for a furniture store next week. (not like discount cheap Fantastic Furniture, but not "high end" either) Any tips at all??

I honestly have no idea how I got this interview in the first place, I have no experience whatsoever in this field.

tell them you might initially have no IKEA what you're doing, but you are a fast learner and shelf-reliant, and that's all that mattress.

After they have shown the house and the suburb I play a game where I try to guess how they will fix up the house so it will sell.

Shaynna uses a lot of paint in the latest fashionable colours. She pretty much clears out all the existing furniture and brings in new stuff to make it look like a modern display home. New light fittings and window dressings. She adds a lot of art to the walls. And cushions! I've never understood the obsession with having 10 cushions on a bed that you have to throw on the floor before you can get in it, but that's what seems to be in vogue. It's not clear how much of these things are paid for by the sponsors of the show and how much the owners have to fork out.

She saves money on bathrooms by spray painting everything then modernising the taps. Kitchens can be spray painted and/or flat pack units installed. Changing internal walls to improve livability can be cost effective.

It's all about emotional appeal. But the trends can change quite quickly. If you are going to spend money on your house to improve the sale price then do it just before you intend to sell so you can incorporate the current fashions. If you are not planning to sell then improve your property to make it even more enjoyable for you to live there.

A bigger lesson that they don't spell out is to not buy a property that will be difficult to sell.

It's OK for gauging ideas and thinking about what you can do for your own home that won't break the bank, and what looks like a lot of work on a home you might be looking at that is really just new paint and some colorful cushions.

There are ways to add value to a house, but a lot of people seem to think that anything they do will appeal to other people. There's a reason most houses have boring neutral decor, you can improve on plain but it's hard to mask having ugly. I cringe whenever you see one of the houses on the show with a giant purple kitchen, bathroom full of garish fixtures etc. If you have a 1970s bathroom with hideous tiles people will probably accept that they'll need to re-tile it, but if you have spent $50k putting in a 'dream' kitchen that is hot pink then it will put most people off.

I reckon a lot of the time what looks good on TV would look pretty cheap and nasty up close. It's not Love It Or List It where they spend $200k at a time.

House prices are gonna crash because global financial crisis. House prices are gonna crash because global financial crisis...

<house prices go up>

House prices are gonna crash (when this pandemic hits). House prices are gonna crash (when this pandemic hits)...

<house prices go up>

House prices are gonna crash WHEN JOBKEEPER RUNS OUT. House prices are gonna crash WHEN JOBKEEPER RUNS OUT.

<house prices go up>

House prices are gonna crash coz we at war with China...

<think again>

It's OK for gauging ideas and thinking about what you can do for your own home that won't break the bank, and what looks like a lot of work on a home you might be looking at that is really just new paint and some colorful cushions.

There are ways to add value to a house, but a lot of people seem to think that anything they do will appeal to other people. There's a reason most houses have boring neutral decor, you can improve on plain but it's hard to mask having ugly. I cringe whenever you see one of the houses on the show with a giant purple kitchen, bathroom full of garish fixtures etc. If you have a 1970s bathroom with hideous tiles people will probably accept that they'll need to re-tile it, but if you have spent $50k putting in a 'dream' kitchen that is hot pink then it will put most people off.

I reckon a lot of the time what looks good on TV would look pretty cheap and nasty up close. It's not Love It Or List It where they spend $200k at a time.

My ex-flatmate basically painted her whole house aqua. With the occasional wall left white.

There is no doubt in my mind, she will have to re paint the whole thing if/when she sells.

Those white houses with blue accents in Santorini look amazing.

Like many other types of architecture, they belong where they are. People actually thought mock Tudor was a good idea.

Well yeah, they do.

Actually come to think of it my mates walls arent even that colour.. ill try google it

I've used a bit of colour in my house. Not hot pinks or anything. More dark colours. My kitchen is a dark blue and I've painted a couple of black feature walls. Everybody who has seen it love it, including people who would have no hesitation in telling me that it looks shithouse if they thought so.

siseraquagreen.jpg

Yeah I think it's pretty much this colour.

Meanwhile what I did in my apartment- was to paint one wall grey, to match the kitchen.

And the bedroom wall is purple. So if I were to sell, I'd maybe go over the purple- but the living room would stay the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've used a bit of colour in my house. Not hot pinks or anything. More dark colours. My kitchen is a dark blue and I've painted a couple of black feature walls. Everybody who has seen it love it, including people who would have no hesitation in telling me that it looks shithouse if they thought so.
My hallway is blue same colour as the water on my birthday
The top one
iu

Walls facing the trees are green 3rd one down
iu

rest of the house is off white stone colour

My hallway is blue same colour as the water on my birthday
The top one
iu

Walls facing the trees are green 3rd one down
iu

rest of the house is off white stone colour

I prefer downpour tbh. But your blue is still really nice.

Not a huge fan of green, but that is a nice green.

Mission Brown can be cool again, I swear it...

Give it a few years it will be back

I remember we painted the bottom timbers on our veranda on the holiday house MB back in the 70s
Its bound to trigger a nostalgic revival

siseraquagreen.jpg

Yeah I think it's pretty much this colour.

Meanwhile what I did in my apartment- was to paint one wall grey, to match the kitchen.

And the bedroom wall is purple. So if I were to sell, I'd maybe go over the purple- but the living room would stay the same.

That's almost what my youngest has in his room. It was a Disney paint. This is it:

1617744137420.png

His room was originally a dark maroon so it was a massive pain to paint over.

Most of our house is a colour called Prairie Smoke. I can't quite find the exact one. Something like this:

1617744391420.png

Im about to repaint my outside a slighlty darker greyer version
Wifes not happy with the off white I painted last year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back