Home & Garden The BigFooty Guide to getting the Real Estate of your Desires

Remove this Banner Ad

Just talking to a mate tells me the town has doubled in size since Covid
You cant get to the Dr Plumber or Electrician unless you were booked in as an old client
He is a plumber who already is booked out for the year
Theres no rental properties as everyone is on Air BnB
So there wont be any new tradies coming to town

Houses used to take years to sell now people are flipping them and making 50 g
Now theres places selling in hours unseen over the net.

luckily I got the sparkies and the plumber over today ...old client

Last edited:
Dunn
Just talking to a mate tells me the town has doubled in size since Covid
You cant get to the Dr Plumber or Electrician unless you were booked in as an old client
He is a plumber who already is booked out for the year
Theres no rental properties as everyone is on Air BnB
So there wont be any new tradies coming to town

Houses used to take years to sell now people are flipping them and making 50 g
Now theres places selling in hours unseen over the net.

luckily I got the sparkies and the plumber over today ...old client
Where's this?
Real estate in Hobart has been going gang busters since COVID and people realise with the Nbn they can work from home.

I was planning on breaking into the market in anticipation of a Covid-slump

Even with that not happening, I'm still tempted to enter and get my foot in the door ASAP. If the recession didn't deflate house prices, I'm not sure what will - I just see the market getting further and further away the longer I wait.

It all feels like a Ponzi scheme.

I went to a mates house (renter), i mean apartment the other week. Lovely large living room (much bigger than mine), a good master, a decent ensuite, another bathroom, open kitchen- again great size. Then... lol.. there is this random coffin room its so fking weird. Rectangular shape, with a smallish window at one end.

You wouldnt even want to use it as an office, its horrible.

Luckily shes a cat fosterer. When she needs to put sick cats in "lockdown" thats the room she uses. But yeah.. its just like a weird oversized storage room otherwise. I said i would have rather that space to just be tacked onto the living room making it one giant living room.

Some of the design choices of previous eras really make you scratch your head.

My old neighbours' place (very very similar to mine, the 1960s was a period of copy paste) had a brick wall in the middle of their house separating the kitchen from the living room. Maybe 2-3m wide and 2m tall, so not even tall enough to reach the ceiling and clearly not structural. Who the hell thought that was a good idea? They knocked it over ASAP. We both had the miniature bathtubs that are about 1-1.2m long. Who thought that was a good idea?

My childhood house had a rumpus room- completely unliveable. Imho mum and dad are mad not to convert that... would not even be that difficult. Install a better ceiling, seal off in a better way the "under the house part" (basically the area where you would store a dead body if u had one. Was 100% no go area could not convert ).. put in floorboards or even carpet.

Done.

Could be a second living space, games room, part office.. whatevs.

I'm waiting for construction to start on a new home and the wait is killing me!

We bought a house in Mougins, it’s just up the hill behind Cannes, France. We first visited it in May 2020, and made an offer the next day( after looking at around 50 other houses in the preceding 18 months. We finally took purchase on October 1st 2020.

We moved in yesterday... we’ve done a hell of a lot of work and there’s still more to go but it’s liveable.
I will put some before and after photos together soon when I have the time and share... we bought for 600k euros and the agent we bought through is already suggesting it’s now a 740k house.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We moved in yesterday... we’ve done a hell of a lot of work and there’s still more to go but it’s liveable.
I will put some before and after photos together soon when I have the time and share... we bought for 600k euros and the agent we bought through is already suggesting it’s now a 740k house.

Cant wait to see the pics.

Its funny.. when I was younger, even into my 20s+, i cgaf about this topic. My mum/aunty/cousins would all be chatting about it and I'd just sit there. Now cant get enough.

Who you building with?

Building with a smaller scale builder this time which is a little nerve racking.
Have built with Simonds before and it was good enough... house seemed to age/crack fairly quickly and there were a few things they had to come back to repair but were mainly good to deal with.

Any property investors looking at Geelong at the moment? Reckon that'll be the next spot I look at for our next house. Growing city, close to Melbourne, close to the Avalon airport and obviously nice proximity to the Great Ocean Road and towns out that way.

Any property investors looking at Geelong at the moment? Reckon that'll be the next spot I look at for our next house. Growing city, close to Melbourne, close to the Avalon airport and obviously nice proximity to the Great Ocean Road and towns out that way.
Head over to the geelong board- theres an off topic thread, post and ask in there if you want.

Changeover costs with stamp duty, agent commissions and conveyancing mean you need to make $30-40k every time you buy and sell or you make a loss.
Na bro. I bought it for 500k and sold it for 600k 5 years later so I made 100k profit. This is what real estate dotta com told me.

Fast train and work from home will be good for house prices down there

I have no interest in buying and selling right now but if I was selling or renting out my place I would be tempted to take the piss.

Say it's worth $500k to buy or $500 a week to rent in nice round made up numbers. I wonder if i just said $600k or $750 a week whether the COVID panic buying is enough for someone to bite.

I have no interest in buying and selling right now but if I was selling or renting out my place I would be tempted to take the piss.

Say it's worth $500k to buy or $500 a week to rent in nice round made up numbers. I wonder if i just said $600k or $750 a week whether the COVID panic buying is enough for someone to bite.
Nah, I don't reckon.

Nah, I don't reckon.

I dunno. Everyone I have spoken to that has sold recently has done so basically overnight. Everyone that has bought has had offers trumped. People get emotional with houses and overpay.

One of my friends sold a place recently that was immediately put up for rent by the new owners for about $150 a week more than we (me and the seller) thought it would be worth. Will be interested to see how long it stays listed at that price.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back