Not open for further replies.
Dec 12, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bombers/Liverpool FC
VVD oh boy, cross fingers.

Yes we got robbed but here's the thing, Virg goes off, oppo get 2 headed goals. Get used to it. Gomez is a shadow of his former self. His lack of aggression led to the corner which resulted in Keane's equalizer. A few minutes earlier he stood off Richarlison and allowed him a shot at goal.

Clear as day Everton was hoofing it to his side trying to get Calvert Lewin to win headers off him

Seems to have a real weakness in the air, and was in no men's land for the 2nd goal

Mar 4, 2002
In a state of flux
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Red Sox, Melbourne Storm
I know it’s not the same sport, and no-one can replace Van Dijk to the same quality if he is out for the year, but in 2019, Richmond lost Rance in round 1, and we went on to win the Premiership when everyone was writing us off. We had a bad few weeks, then found a solution anf righted the ship

Don’t give up is all I’m saying.

archiemoses

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I know it’s not the same sport, and no-one can replace Van Dijk to the same quality if he is out for the year, but in 2019, Richmond lost Rance in round 1, and we went on to win the Premiership when everyone was writing us off. We had a bad few weeks, then found a solution anf righted the ship

West coast in 2015 made the grand final by losing key defenders and creating the weagles web

Is Thiago okay though?

I dunno, we gotta change the way we defend now, we can't play the high risk game without Virgil

Apparently Thiago will miss the Ajax game and will be assessed again after that. Doesn’t sound too serious.

Came here to say the same thing

Nuke Fremantle

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2007
Dullsville
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Only half joking, but should Null and Void be considered with the current COVID status? 🤔

I was thinking before the game that if Everton won we should all start screaming NULL AND VOID like so many Blueshite supporters were a few months back.

Terrible news on VVD but not unexpected. If I was Pickford I'd be keeping a low profile around Merseyside for the time being.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Only half joking, but should Null and Void be considered with the current COVID status? 🤔

Quite funny that the usual suspects are deathly silent on this now when the season has barely stated but were so loud and passionate about it when the season was almost complete.

Venkman

Club Legend
Jul 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Seattle Supersonics
That's devastating, I just don't see us winning it again now - with Alison he's our most irreplaceable player. Goal has to be top four.

Steven Gerrard

Club Legend
May 27, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Melbourn Victory, 49ers
I think we are still capable of winning the league, we just need to be more clinical in attack. Our conversion from shots at goal and shots on target is pretty poor. Villa can put 7 past us yet one of the best front 3 combinations in football can't score more than 4 on a good day. If we start making the most of our opportunities then we will be one of those teams that will concede goals but will score more.

My biggest concern isn't that we won't have VVD back this season, I think we will get by and come the January window we will probably be in the market for a CB, it's that VVD won't be the same player when he comes back, due to lack of confidence in his knee.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
[/QUOTE]
I think we are still capable of winning the league, we just need to be more clinical in attack. Our conversion from shots at goal and shots on target is pretty poor. Villa can put 7 past us yet one of the best front 3 combinations in football can't score more than 4 on a good day. If we start making the most of our opportunities then we will be one of those teams that will concede goals but will score more.

My biggest concern isn't that we won't have VVD back this season, I think we will get by and come the January window we will probably be in the market for a CB, it's that VVD won't be the same player when he comes back, due to lack of confidence in his knee.

The Villa game isn't the biggest concern for me. 3 of the goals were deflections, one of them was from Adrian giving the ball away and another was offside. We conceded a few poor goals at the end but mostly because we'd given up.

Of more concern is defending corners and set pieces now. Van Dijk dominates aerially in the box. As crazy as it sounds we could have really done with Dejan right now.

Venkman

Club Legend
Jul 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Seattle Supersonics
The FA have still said nothing regarding the Pickford VAR decision. Probably covering themselves legally now that they are aware Pickford deliberately butchered Van Dijk putting him out for the rest of the season.

To be fair, I don't see Pickford as being deliberate - it was careless though and there should be some kind of penalty for doing that to another player and possibly ending their career. Richarlison was deliberate though and his carry on after the incident made it pretty obvious that he's an A grade flog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back