The Bigfooty Liverpool Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As scary as the defense looks at the moment it's not like we are shipping a lot of goals.

Jim Beglin said in commentary that we have only conceded 5 goals (IIRC) in the league since VVD got injured. The problem is more up top than at the back.

My team for Burnley

Mane-Minamino-Shaqiri
Thiago-Henderson-Milner
Robbo-Fabinho-Matip-Neco
Alisson

Subs: Kelleher, Phillips, Rhys, Arnold, Wijnaldum, Jones, Ox, Firmino, Salah
Always thought Minamino gets into great positions, only for Firmino to get in the way. Roberto is way off the boil. He just doesn’t score enough nor make chances.
Id give Minamino and Shaq a prolonged chance. The current forwards can’t score, give others a chance.

The COVID uncertainty and the fact we are bleeding money by not having fans at games isn't helping the situation.

If the vaccine is succesful enough and fans can start attending games again, it will turn things around, but that's not going to happen in the short term.
Fans won’t be attending games by early 2022 at the latest, is everything for ark plan. Need to accept that and try and create a virtual fan experience. We’re on the same level as every club. Have to somehow get the tire somewhere else.

Weird game really - we're on the front foot for most of it but just don't seem to be getting anything going, I think most of the issues are tactical now. As scary as the defense looks at the moment it's not like we are shipping a lot of goals. Partly that's just because the way to play us is to sit back and keep the full backs pinned out wide, but if you're just looking to hit on the break it's not like the defence is under constant pressure and Fab has been playing very well. I think Jurg just needs to find a tweak now to try and un glue that front third - perhaps play mina as a false 9 and get more short passing in to the box, or play back more and use our fast players looking for more through balls, even getting more long shots going would be something it's not like guys like Shaq, Fab and Ox can't hit them. It seems bad, but you've got to trust in Klopp in his time with us there's been a few different models and it just feels like the current one has just run it's race.
Don’t find the defence scary, tbh. The problem is having the team push so far up the ground that on the counter, teams are starting to use their forwards to run in behind. Man United did a fantastic job of doing this. Just unlucky with some offsides and Allison saves.
The team needs to hurry up and find some risky passes or take shots, take the initiative. Right now we’re okay with having 70% possession yet 2-3 shots on target. We’re too safe with the ball. Thiago tried to open up play, take a risk. The forwards just won’t take a shot.

My team for Burnley

Mane-Minamino-Shaqiri
Thiago-Henderson-Milner
Robbo-Fabinho-Matip-Neco
Alisson

Subs: Kelleher, Phillips, Rhys, Arnold, Wijnaldum, Jones, Ox, Firmino, Salah

Definitely time for a shake up but I'd still play Mo. Don't care about the Cup, even when we're playing the Mancs.

Not sure Shaq can play 2 games in 4 days.

I'd give Phillips a start against Burnley, he should be suited to hoofball. That'll allow Fab back into midfield.

Mane-Taki-Salah
Thiago-Fab-Hendo
Robbo-Phillips-Matip-Neco
Alisson

Jim Beglin said in commentary that we have only conceded 5 goals (IIRC) in the league since VVD got injured. The problem is more up top than at the back.

Except VVD does provide offence. And Henderson at full back is not providing the same drive. And Robbo and TAA are under a lot more defensive pressure without senior CB’s. It throws tha whole thing out

Except VVD does provide offence. And Henderson at full back is not providing the same drive. And Robbo and TAA are under a lot more defensive pressure without senior CB’s. It throws tha whole thing out

Oh, I know. Having arguably our 2 best mids playing CB has had a negative effect at the opposite end of the ground. I am not arguing against that. What I am saying is that everyone keeps pointing out our problems in defence when they aren't actually glaring problems. More focus needs to be put on the front 3 and their ineffectiveness of late.

Reddy is right and a few of you guys have said the same thing. It's robbing Peter to pay Paul. We are losing our two best CM's in midfield because they have to play at CB, domino effect. The whole thing is out of whack and our creativity and scoring has suffered for it. I dont really see a way to suddenly fix it without getting Gomez, Matip and VVD back and healthy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh, I know. Having arguably our 2 best mids playing CB has had a negative effect at the opposite end of the ground. I am not arguing against that. What I am saying is that everyone keeps pointing out our problems in defence when they aren't actually glaring problems. More focus needs to be put on the front 3 and their ineffectiveness of late.
Even when clearly ineffective Klopp doesn’t change it. Surely Minamino and Origi should get more minutes.

Even when clearly ineffective Klopp doesn’t change it. Surely Minamino and Origi should get more minutes.
Minamino has been a disappointment, has not reached the level we all expected of him. Can say the same of Naby Keita although his excuse is his continuing spate of injuries.

Reddy is right and a few of you guys have said the same thing. It's robbing Peter to pay Paul. We are losing our two best CM's in midfield because they have to play at CB, domino effect. The whole thing is out of whack and our creativity and scoring has suffered for it. I dont really see a way to suddenly fix it without getting Gomez, Matip and VVD back and healthy.

It looks like Gomez is pretty much no chance of playing again this season. We'll know soon enough when the PL squads are submitted on 1st Feb. Van Dijk recovery is getting a fair bit of press, seems like he is a quick healer. Returning from ACL injuries in 5-6 months is possible if everything goes well. I suspect we'll see him towards the end of March / early April if his good recovery work continues.

The fix for it is signing a new defender, no ifs or buts. There's a few issues with it - we are out of non homegrown places on the roster. If we sign a non home-grown player we must remove one from our playing roster. Obvious one would be Adrian who is now 3rd choice keeper and seems to be finished at the club. Low wages, we could easily pay out his contract and let him leave.

Other option is a home grown CB. Seems certain that Gomez will not play a part again this season. Remove him from the playing roster and that's easy enough if we can find a home grown player to sign.

Either way the noises out of the club seem to suggest Jurg wants it done but FSG don't want to do it due to financial concerns. Which I do respect but should say Fab get injured after the transfer window closes we're gonna probably miss out on top 4 and that's going to cost the club far more in terms of lost revenue then overpaying for a CB right now.

I predict we'll get a deadline day saga signing. If only we hung on to Dejan for another season!!

very confusing as to why Origi and Minamino are treated like a 38 year old Rickie Lambert. Minamino scores a nice goal and gets ghosted for 3 games. look at Orgi's minutes this season, how's a striker supposed to do anything with this? it reads like an actual joke the manager is playing on him or something

Screen Shot 2021-01-20 at 9.43.23 am.png

13 minutes? lmao

Yeah. We're technically missing 4 of our rusted on first XI from our title/CL winning team by taking Henderson and Fabinho out of the midfield.

I can't believe we aren't having a serious crack at getting Tomori on loan from Chelsea. Lampard is saying that he can't get him game time because Chelsea have 5 centrebacks to pick from and a loan would be best for him. AC Milan want to loan him but are insisting on a buyout clause at the end of the loan which looks like Chelsea don't want. Remove Gomez from this season's squad and register him. Send him back to Chelsea in the summer. Job done.

I can't believe we aren't having a serious crack at getting Tomori on loan from Chelsea. Lampard is saying that he can't get him game time because Chelsea have 5 centrebacks to pick from and a loan would be best for him. AC Milan want to loan him but are insisting on a buyout clause at the end of the loan which looks like Chelsea don't want. Remove Gomez from this season's squad and register him. Send him back to Chelsea in the summer. Job done.
Militao from Real is another option.

Minamino has been a disappointment, has not reached the level we all expected of him. Can say the same of Naby Keita although his excuse is his continuing spate of injuries.
He played in the last game we scored in. Kick started the 7 goal rout. Since then? Completely benched. Klopp can’t keep having his coach’s favourites because right now the team is suffering for it.
Firmino is awful this season. Surely any other option is at least worth a try.

We lose our set piece threat without Virgil, too. He scores at least 6 goals per season and a lot of them in big games
I remember reading somewhere before VVD got injured that since he joined the club he was actually our 4th highest goal scorer behind the much vaunted front three. Crazy stat if true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back