The Bigfooty Liverpool Army

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Said it elsewhere but World Club Cup > League Cup

It's a trophy we are yet to win and it's hard to even qualify for the tournament, take the chance and bring it home.

I've obviously gone the unpopular opinion. I want to win everything but given the hectic schedule would prefer the first team not to leave England as I'm more concerned about the league than anything else and that period and the possible fatigue into January is when we are most likely to lose it so any extra rest we can get we should take.

Not saying the world club cup is a lesser trophy I just think it is not important enough to further fatigue the first team. Maybe it's just me but I usually pay little to no interest in it normally.

Pep starting Aguero, Stones and Walker on the bench for their CL game. You'd think with D.Silva our they'd go something like this.

Ederson
Walker Stones Otamendi Mendy/Zinchenho
Fernandinho
De Bruyne B.Silva
Mahrez Aguero Sterling

Not at their strongest that's for sure but it's normally a cracking game. Firmino, Robbo, Hendo & Mane should be fresh

I've obviously gone the unpopular opinion. I want to win everything but given the hectic schedule would prefer the first team not to leave England as I'm more concerned about the league than anything else and that period and the possible fatigue into January is when we are most likely to lose it so any extra rest we can get we should take.

Not saying the world club cup is a lesser trophy I just think it is not important enough to further fatigue the first team. Maybe it's just me but I usually pay little to no interest in it normally.

I get what you're saying but outside of the Prem and Champions League, this is the trophy we need to win. For a start, it's the only major trophy we haven't won. As a big football club we need to tick all the boxes and say yep, we've won that, we've won that and we've won that too.

Secondly, whilst the WCC is not considered that important amongst European players, it is a big deal outside of Europe. More international recognition for a start. More fans in other continents will know who we are if we do win it. South Americans and Africans regard this as very serious. By winning it, hopefully we can win it, it should make players like Firmino, Becker, Mane, Salah etc, players who all would have grown up taking an interest in this tournament, feel 6 foot tall, which will only benefit the team.

Third, prizemoney. I think it's about 5 mill. Every bit helps.

Fourth, Liverpool get to wear the FIFA gold badge for 12 months. Imagine walking out on to the Emptihad later in the season against City with the FIFA Gold Badge on our shirt which is notice to the world that we are the WORLD CHAMPIONS of club football. That's something money can't buy. Money can buy you real estate on any kit but it cant buy you the FIFA gold badge. I want that badge. If we win it, commentators will not only refer to us as European champions, but World Champions. We will officially be the best team in the world. Pretty hard to call yourself the best in the world if another team rolls you in that tournament.

Fifth, nothing breeds winning trophies quite like winning trophies. Get the confidence up even more as well. It will also stop the opposition fans trolling us if we win it. It's probably the easiest trophy to win once there, yet the hardest to qualify for. So why not go for it while we can?

Sixth, which follows on from the fourth point, the KOP singing "WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS THE CHAMPIONS OF THE WORLD", or something like that. Forget all the other benefits, this benefit alone makes winning he WCC worthwhile.

Again, I get what you're saying, you want the Prem, believe me so do I, boy do I want the Prem, but winning this trophy brings a multitude of benefits, some not even the Prem can deliver. And the club knows this.

Ederson possibly hurt this morning. City squad looking a little thin.

For me it has to be Ox-Fab-Hendo this weekend. Wijnaldum to come off the bench pissed off: worked last time.

FIFA would blow a gasket if we sent an understrength line up to Qatar in order to focus on the EFL Cup. The kids will play v Villa, and we will see what happens.

Pep starting Aguero, Stones and Walker on the bench for their CL game. You'd think with D.Silva our they'd go something like this.

Ederson
Walker Stones Otamendi Mendy/Zinchenho
Fernandinho
De Bruyne B.Silva
Mahrez Aguero Sterling

Not at their strongest that's for sure but it's normally a cracking game. Firmino, Robbo, Hendo & Mane should be fresh

I reckon Pep will go Cancelo at RB and Walker to partner Stones at CB. Better option than Otamendi / Fernadinho.

For me it has to be Ox-Fab-Hendo this weekend. Wijnaldum to come off the bench pissed off: worked last time.

FIFA would blow a gasket if we sent an understrength line up to Qatar in order to focus on the EFL Cup. The kids will play v Villa, and we will see what happens.

Yep, agree. Fab controlling from deep, Hendo pressing / winning the ball back and Ox attacking / shooting from long range seems just about right for City. If we need a goal Gini on for Hendo, if we are in front Milner on for Ox to control the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get what you're saying but outside of the Prem and Champions League, this is the trophy we need to win. For a start, it's the only major trophy we haven't won. As a big football club we need to tick all the boxes and say yep, we've won that, we've won that and we've won that too.

Secondly, whilst the WCC is not considered that important amongst European players, it is a big deal outside of Europe. More international recognition for a start. More fans in other continents will know who we are if we do win it. South Americans and Africans regard this as very serious. By winning it, hopefully we can win it, it should make players like Firmino, Becker, Mane, Salah etc, players who all would have grown up taking an interest in this tournament, feel 6 foot tall, which will only benefit the team.

Third, prizemoney. I think it's about 5 mill. Every bit helps.

Fourth, Liverpool get to wear the FIFA gold badge for 12 months. Imagine walking out on to the Emptihad later in the season against City with the FIFA Gold Badge on our shirt which is notice to the world that we are the WORLD CHAMPIONS of club football. That's something money can't buy. Money can buy you real estate on any kit but it cant buy you the FIFA gold badge. I want that badge. If we win it, commentators will not only refer to us as European champions, but World Champions. We will officially be the best team in the world. Pretty hard to call yourself the best in the world if another team rolls you in that tournament.

Fifth, nothing breeds winning trophies quite like winning trophies. Get the confidence up even more as well. It will also stop the opposition fans trolling us if we win it. It's probably the easiest trophy to win once there, yet the hardest to qualify for. So why not go for it while we can?

Sixth, which follows on from the fourth point, the KOP singing "WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS THE CHAMPIONS OF THE WORLD", or something like that. Forget all the other benefits, this benefit alone makes winning he WCC worthwhile.

Again, I get what you're saying, you want the Prem, believe me so do I, boy do I want the Prem, but winning this trophy brings a multitude of benefits, some not even the Prem can deliver. And the club knows this.

Can't argue with much of this at all. Do you think FIFA would crack it if we won the semi with an understrength team then brought all the big guns in for the final after they play vs Villa? Because Monterrey FC (expected opponent for semi) is a much easier opponent than Villa in the LC.

Similar POV was noted on talk sport UK radio last night (our time). The effervescent Natalie Sawyer suggested best keep the firsts in England for the reasons you mentioned. Although the $ for winning the carabao is no where near the world clubs, it has history and winning it will provide a platform of which we can launch our assault for the PL.

Here is natalie

737ffc85118c9fc8494c209f9a0adcb9.jpg
Ro6rqko.jpg

Agree with all of this. City having a few issues balances out the corresponding fixture last season when Liverpool limped into the Anfield game against these, having played Spurs, Chelsea and Napoli away, as well as PSG and Chelsea (League Cup) at home in the 3 weeks leading up to such a crucial fixture.

Playing your biggest rivals (for the league) on your home turf is the best chance to directly affect the outcome of the final league table. Ox is in form and doesn't mind scoring against these either. Their defense can't be all too thrilled about the prospect of facing Liverpool's front 3.

We don't need to play the CWC to know we're world champions. All the best players in the world play in Europe, therefore if you win UCL then it means you're the best team in the world.

Remember the last time we went to the middle east? 3 or 4 players got sick, nearly derailed our season.

But alas we will send our strongest team to Qatar because as others have mentioned, FIFA wouldn't allow otherwise.

We don't need to play the CWC to know we're world champions. All the best players in the world play in Europe, therefore if you win UCL then it means you're the best team in the world.

Remember the last time we went to the middle east? 3 or 4 players got sick, nearly derailed our season.

But alas we will send our strongest team to Qatar because as others have mentioned, FIFA wouldn't allow otherwise.

It really is the equivalent of Richmond being forced to play the division 3 amateur premiers from each state.

Despite that bravado our best performance at the World Club Cup and the Intercontinental Cup before is to finish runner-up 3 times (2005, 1984, 1981)

United on the other hand are the only English team to have won it (1999, 2008)

"Lesser" comp or not it's a chance at a trophy, something we haven't won before and it also stops the mancs from having bragging rights as the only English team to have won it.

Last year at Anfield we went with Alisson-Gomez-Lovren-VVD-Robertson-Wij-Hendo-Milner-Mane-Firmino-Salah with only Keita and Sturridge being used off the bench (Fabinho and Shaqiri were not used).

Then Fabinho didn't start the game at the Emptyhad either.

Only two trophies I have not seen us win and that's the league, and also the CWC.

We get way more money from this than the league cup too, absolutely more important

Shame about the Qatar trip though, if it was in Tokyo I would've been there

Lord knows how we didn't win CWC under Benitez. We lost 1-0 in the final, but the way I remember it they must've scored from their only attack and we completely dominated them, just couldn't score.

EDIT: Looked it up. 17 corners to 0, 21 shots on goal to 4. Oh lawd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back