The BigFooty Liverpool Army

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think Borini will be better then your all giving him credit for. Probably the first striker with geniune movement inside the box you have had since Torres was in tip top shape. A huge thing to miss for that long of a time

Genuine movement. Literally one of the strongest assets of both Kuyt and Suarez. But nice effort.

Genuine movement. Literally one of the strongest assets of both Kuyt and Suarez. But nice effort.

In the box?, Hell no

Difference between movement up the ground and making smart well timed runs into the box. Suarez and Kuyt have never really done that. Both are better with the ball at feet and outside the box.

Borini is your fox in the box, Suarez and Kuyt arnt that

In the box?, Hell no

Difference between movement up the ground and making smart well timed runs into the box. Suarez and Kuyt have never really done that. Both are better with the ball at feet and outside the box.

Borini is your fox in the box, Suarez and Kuyt arnt that
Fair enough, did miss the "in the box" bit. Fair call. Suarez not so much but I would argue Kuyt. Fox in the box? Poacher? Not sure what you would call him but he did always seem to pop up and score important goals, almost all the time from inside the box. Kuyt played a lot wide though so it masks his true gifts.

If were to play the way I think we are to play I would have loved us to hold onto Kuyt. Could have scored a lot of goals for us.

He is ridiculously good. His movement and skills and dribbling ability just open up chance after chance after chance. He was at the heart of everything. Big year from him I hope.

His skill to wrongfoot the defender to the point that the defender actually fell over for Borini's goal was brilliant to watch.

Umm no they dont. They all think its insane they are getting more then 10 mill for him. They all wanted him sold before the season started last year seeing him as the weakness in the midfield

Thankfully for Swansea the fans don't pick the team or decide which players are sold!

They voted him 7th in the player of the season awards because he is what he is. A role player. No star or standout feature. Just does his role week in week out. Thats all well and nice but you dont pay 10 mill+ for a role player. If Allen cost 6 mill it would be a good signing. Paying double that is just absurd and a waste of money

He's always going to be seen as this sort of player though, most football fans will never understand the value a player like Joe Allen brings to the team. It's no coincidence that Rodgers was willing to spend £15m (+ £45k/week in wages) of his transfer budget on Allen compared to only half that on the supposedly more talented Sigurdsson. I can't remember the exact quote, but he'd just had a brilliant performance for the Welsh team, and Gary Speed couldn't speak highly enough of him and said that when he'd asked Rodgers about him, Rodgers had indicated that he was the heartbeat of the Swansea team, he was the brain that made everything tick. He seems to be a player all managers love.

We're not going to see buckets of goals, and probably not a heap of assists from him either - but that's not what his game is about, what we will see from him is composure on the ball, and an ability to dictate the tempo of the game (something we haven't seen from a Liverpool player since Alonso). Essentially, you can relax everytime the ball is at his feet because his decision making skills and ability to execute even under pressure are excellent, he just does not give away possession which is what our game will be about this season.

Danny Mills scored the best goal I've ever seen from one of our defenders.

Means **** all really, but if you need a wonder goal to be all the proof you need to assess a player then good luck to you.

I think the point he was trying to make was that Micah Richards couldn't score a goal like that in a million years because Glen Johnson has more footballing talent in his left little toe than Richards has in his whole body. It's not a single goal that's made him a better player than Richards but rather a collection of evidence of acts of skill such as this one over a number of years. Micah Richards is a good defender, he's quick and strong and attackers find it difficult to get past him because of his physical attributes, but in terms of pure footballing ability Glen Johnson is light years ahead and isn't anywhere near as bad a defender as the myth suggests. Once upon a time yes there were question marks over his positional sense, but not anymore.

An absolute w**ker on the field, but off it he is a true gentleman. After a few years at Newcastle where he was a bit of a c**t to be honest, he's changed his ways and for me is the most honest and up front player in the league. He put in some brilliant performances for us last season but at 33 years old it's probably the right decision for both parties for him to move on. I think he's a highly underrated player, his performances for both City and Liverpool in his later years showed he has the talent to have an influence even in the biggest of games.

Umm no they dont. They all think its insane they are getting more then 10 mill for him. They all wanted him sold before the season started last year seeing him as the weakness in the midfield

They voted him 7th in the player of the season awards because he is what he is. A role player. No star or standout feature. Just does his role week in week out. Thats all well and nice but you dont pay 10 mill+ for a role player. If Allen cost 6 mill it would be a good signing. Paying double that is just absurd and a waste of money

You dont know what ur talking about.
Ask the real fans what they think of him

Agger, Lucas, Gerrard & Suarez all started against Gomel - at no point last season in any competition were they on the pitch at the same time.
No wonder we were awful at times last season

I think the point he was trying to make was that Micah Richards couldn't score a goal like that in a million years because Glen Johnson has more footballing talent in his left little toe than Richards has in his whole body. It's not a single goal that's made him a better player than Richards but rather a collection of evidence of acts of skill such as this one over a number of years. Micah Richards is a good defender, he's quick and strong and attackers find it difficult to get past him because of his physical attributes, but in terms of pure footballing ability Glen Johnson is light years ahead and isn't anywhere near as bad a defender as the myth suggests. Once upon a time yes there were question marks over his positional sense, but not anymore.

Like I said, means * all.

Micah got 6 assists and a goal for us last season, and was one of our key attacking/creative players as well as being brilliant in defence in a title winning season. Do you think anyone cares if he did or didn't score a wonder goal against a 3rd division standard team.

Like I said, means **** all.

Micah got 6 assists and a great goal for us last season, and was one of our key attacking/creative players as well as being brilliant in defence. Do you think anyone cares if he did or didn't score a wonder goal against a 3rd division standard team.

FC Gomel aren't 3rd division standard, Belarus has a decent league, they would be lower half Championship material. And let's be clear -Glen Johnson has scored twice the amount of goals Micah Richards has scored over his career and will continue to do so. Micah Richards has no left foot and doesn't have Johnson's dribbling abilities. Johnson has scored some rippers with his left foot. Micah's attacking skills go as far as push the ball past the LB, out sprinting them and whipping a cross in low and hard. He doesn't have the guile or dribbling to beat a defender without pace. Before you take it as a personal attack on your Man City player let me state that Richards is still an excellent at defending, more so then Johnson. That's why he started off as a CB and can still play there. Attacking wise he will never be as good as Glen Johnson and you really need to take your light blue tinted glasses off if you believe otherwise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We weren't allowed to bid for Allen unless another club bid for him first as per the agreement between Swansea, Liverpool & Rodgers. Since Spurs wanted him (albeit at 10 million) we were then able to bid for him and it was simply a matter of then activating his buyout clause as Swansea would prefer not to sell him to us. So 10 million is about right for Allen but if we bid 10 million for Allen he was going to Spurs, not us. I think Allen is a talented player who will compliment Lucas perfectly and/or replace him when Lucas is unavailable. Having no replacement for Lucas and playing Spearing as first choice effectively cost us any chance at top 4 last season. Spearing cannot be anything more then a bit part player who fills in occasionally and plays low profile cup games.

FC Gomel aren't 3rd division standard, Belarus has a decent league, they would be lower half Championship material. And let's be clear -Glen Johnson has scored twice the amount of goals Micah Richards has scored over his career and will continue to do so. Micah Richards has no left foot and doesn't have Johnson's dribbling abilities. Johnson has scored some rippers with his left foot. Micah's attacking skills go as far as push the ball past the LB, out sprinting them and whipping a cross in low and hard. He doesn't have the guile or dribbling to beat a defender without pace. Before you take it as a personal attack on your Man City player let me state that Richards is still an excellent at defending, more so then Johnson. That's why he started off as a CB and can still play there. Attacking wise he will never be as good as Glen Johnson and you really need to take your light blue tinted glasses off if you believe otherwise.

You people really need to get over this obsession you have making out that every time I respond to a post its because I feel one of my teams players has been personally attacked.

A poster has stated that Micah would have to score a goal the equivalent of Johnsons against the Dog & Drake XI to be considered as good a RB as Johnson. I've simply pointed out what a stupid concept that is.

But don't worry, once again you haven't offended me. Simply responding to a post on a discussion board.

As an attacking threat Micah was the best in the league last season. I'm more than happy with that side of his game so don't you worry yourself about that either.

You people really need to get over this obsession you have making out that every time I respond to a post its because I feel one of my teams players has been personally attacked.

A poster has stated that Micah would have to score a goal the equivalent of Johnsons against the Dog & Drake XI to be considered as good a RB as Johnson. I've simply pointed out what a stupid concept that is.

But don't worry, once again you haven't offended me. Simply responding to a post on a discussion board.

As an attacking threat Micah was the best in the league last season. I'm more than happy with that side of his game so don't you worry yourself about that either.

I'm not worried mate. With the quality of your team I would be one of the best attacking threats in the league playing at RB for you lot. To put it bluntly, Glen Johnson could play as a winger, can dribble and has 2 feet. Micah couldn't play on the wing and has no left foot. Micah is more of a defender then a true wing/RB and it is silly for anyone to argue that he is a better attacking threat then Johnson. If he was he'd be a shoe in for England at RB and wouldn't play second fiddle to Johnson.

Micah is more of a defender then a true wing/RB and it is silly for anyone to argue that he is a better attacking threat then Johnson. If he was he'd be a shoe in for England at RB and wouldn't play second fiddle to Johnson.

He was the most potent attacking fullback in the league last season, and one of the most creative defenders in the league. 1 goal, 6 assists from 26 starts or so (Johnson 1 goal, 0 assists FWIW) is a great return for a fullback. Clichy, who was also one of the best fullbacks in the league didn't come close to that return so it's stupid to say that he's only getting results because of the team he plays in.

As for England selection, the day England managers determine who is a good player is a long way away. But if we're going down that line, Stewart Downing is better than Adam Johnson so you better be prepared to pay up well over £20m if you want Johnno.

Anyway, I don't know why we're debating Johnson v Micah again, my only point is that scoring a wonder goal in a Europa League qualifying match against Belarussian opposition does not prove someone is a better or worse footballer than anyone else. Surprised that no Liverpool supporter so far agrees with me on that.

Anyway, I don't know why we're debating Johnson v Micah again, my only point is that scoring a wonder goal in a Europa League qualifying match against Belarussian opposition does not prove someone is a better or worse footballer than anyone else. Surprised that no Liverpool supporter so far agrees with me on that.

No-one's disagreeing with you on that one, merely pointing out that Micah Richards is not a skillful enough footballer to pull something like that off, regardless of the opposition. It's one of many examples of the difference in footballing ability between the 2 players. To make that clearer for you, that goal isn't the argument by itself, but is an example that is being used in the context of the wider debate on who the better footballer is.

From memory you haven't been a fan of the use of statistics in arguments in the past, you should trust your first instincts. Yakubu scored more goals than Balotelli & Suarez this season.

No-one's disagreeing with you on that one, merely pointing out that Micah Richards is not a skillful enough footballer to pull something like that off, regardless of the opposition. It's one of many examples of the difference in footballing ability between the 2 players. To make that clearer for you, that goal isn't the argument by itself, but is an example that is being used in the context of the wider debate on who the better footballer is.

The argument being made was fairly clear. And while I think you underestimate Micahs skill level, I don't really care enough to give it much thought.

What I will say is that football ability isn't a very broad thing, not limited to close skills or being able to score a wonder goal.

From memory you haven't been a fan of the use of statistics in arguments in the past, you should trust your first instincts. Yakubu scored more goals than Balotelli & Suarez this season.

I've always been a fan of statistics in "debates". But no statistics proves who is a better player. What it will tell you is that a defender who contributes to 7 goals through goals or assists in 23 starts, and much more in terms of creative and attacking play isn't as incapable going forward as some are making out.

FWIW Yakubu has had a much better premier league career than Suarez or Balotelli, and was the better goalscorer of the three last season.

But scoring goals doesn't equate to being the better player either.

Let me summarize for you, both sets of supporters are happy with who they have and both wouldn't swap them if given the chance.

Move on dude

Let me summarize for you, both sets of supporters are happy with who they have and both wouldn't swap them if given the chance.

Move on dude

Well, in case you missed it the the post was directed specifically to Man City supporters, perhaps if you want us to "move on" you should have a word to your fellow supporters who seem quite happy to keep the debate going.

I'm happy either way, if someone wants to have a discussion on any issue on a football message board I'll participate if I have something to say.

Sick of ******* coming in here and reading a LFC vs City debate. This thread should be lfc supporters only, anything else should be taken to the main board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back