The Bigfooty Liverpool Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Half chance, half chance, half chance
As good as Mo is, he isnt someone say like God. Robbie tucks away 1/5th of a chance never mind half chances. We need a goalscorer like that in the summer.

Firmino's powers are waning and has never been a big goal scorer. He continues to drift more into a 10 and deeper into midfield as he gets older. Salah, Mane and Jota are all wingers. We need a deadly goal scorer to put inbetween Mane/Jota and Salah.

So what now?
All eggs into the PL basket now to make sure we get into the top four to secure CL next season. With CL next season we can hopefully attract that big time goalscorer in the summer.

With all the injuries we've had this season to Hendo, VVD, Gomez, Matip, Jota and Thiago etc if we can finish top four still it would be a huge achievement.

id like to know the reason behind the midfield selection, and forward 3
I think the reasoning behind the midfield three selection was to combat and shut down Kroos and Modric who ran the show in the first leg. For me, that worked. I think Klopp actually got his team selection right in midfield. Thiago isnt going to press and tackle like Milner... Gini and Fabinho were obvious selections.

We did a far better job of pressing and tackling and Kroos and Modric were fairly ineffective. Klopp put his trust in the full backs and the front three to create enough to hopefully get one goal and not to concede then with 30 to play, bring on Jota, Thiago, Ox or Shaq and go for the second and the win.

To be honest it worked. Real didnt threaten and we created enough to score not just the one but two or three. But we didnt put away our chances. So we're out.

Just gotta look to the league now and ensure we're competing in this competition again next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As good as Mo is, he isnt someone say like God. Robbie tucks away 1/5th of a chance never mind half chances. We need a goalscorer like that in the summer.

Firmino's powers are waning and has never been a big goal scorer. He continues to drift more into a 10 and deeper into midfield as he gets older. Salah, Mane and Jota are all wingers. We need a deadly goal scorer to put inbetween Mane/Jota and Salah.
We definitely won’t get a Haaland type if we miss out on Top 4 in the EPL.

id like to know the reason behind the midfield selection, and forward 3

Jurg keeps putting faith in Mane and Bobby to turn their form around, but they've been garbage all season

Salah and Jota have carried us

I think the reasoning behind the midfield three selection was to combat and shut down Kroos and Modric who ran the show in the first leg. For me, that worked. I think Klopp actually got his team selection right in midfield. Thiago isnt going to press and tackle like Milner... Gini and Fabinho were obvious selections.

We did a far better job of pressing and tackling and Kroos and Modric were fairly ineffective. Klopp put his trust in the full backs and the front three to create enough to hopefully get one goal and not to concede then with 30 to play, bring on Jota, Thiago, Ox or Shaq and go for the second and the win.

To be honest it worked. Real didnt threaten and we created enough to score not just the one but two or three. But we didnt put away our chances. So we're out.

Just gotta look to the league now and ensure we're competing in this competition again next season.

Agree with this, the midfield is uninspiring, but that's just how Klopp has it and whilst Real weren't on the front foot they weren't entirely comfortable with our aggression through the middle either. Klopp's done a pretty good job this season, we've got a kind of functional defence going and are back to the kind of shape and industriousness that we had last season but now the we just can't get anything going up front. I love Salah but he's just not clinical so you're always kind of riding your luck. His move to to drop Firmino back and Fabinho back didn't give us much either - I think we would have been better sticking with what we had.

Story of our season in this whole tie:

1. Keep wasting chances

2. Concede stupid goals

Explains why we are where we are

The famous front 3 is done, unfortunately, Sadio and Bob have been awful all season
And we have midfielders who can't score for love or money which further compounds the problem.
Probably only Curtis really, but he's not exactly first choice.

Jurg keeps putting faith in Mane and Bobby to turn their form around, but they've been garbage all season

Salah and Jota have carried us
Not starting Jota and Thiago in a game where we must attack, was utterly embarrassing. This faith in the three forwards have cost the team this season. Klopp became too stubborn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back