Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 18, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Lived it. Loved it.

Farewell beautiful game.

images

I am 100% with Gary Linneker. Announcing this on the day that UEFA was going to announce an expanded CL which the clubs didn't want is nothing more than a massive finger to UEFA and a ploy to get them to change their minds. It is 100% a power play by the big boys.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
I am 100% with Gary Linneker. Announcing this on the day that UEFA was going to announce an expanded CL which the clubs didn't want is nothing more than a massive finger to UEFA and a ploy to get them to change their minds. It is 100% a power play by the big boys.
Has more than a touch of the BCCIs about it

Bigger than the game

Dec 12, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bombers/Liverpool FC
Mourinho sacked again

He was a great manager, but people underrate his ability at getting sacked and receiving maximum payout while preserving his reputation. Master manipulator

He is walking out looking the hero while receiving a fat cheque after doing a pretty s**t job

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Have any breakaway leagues ever actually gone the distance?

Eg rugby super league, World Series Cricket. Lasts a little while then comes back together, compromise made

The PL is but was done with the blessing of the FA and effectively continued the first division as top flight football in England.

As for rebel leagues without asssociation approval no it doesn't really work.

Apr 3, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Brooklyn Nets
Is everyone complaining about FSG not spending in the transfer market also the same people that lambasted them for initially planning to furlough staff when the pandemic hit, even though it was a perfectly legal option?

I could be way off base here and you guys would know plenty more than me, but the way it seems to me - UEFA have been lining their own pockets for years and despite complaints from the "bigger" clubs, very little has ever changed. If the clubs are able to take a greater slice of that revenue pie, you can't blame them for trying to do so. They've now called EUFA's bluff, and would hope for better financial outcomes under alterations to the current system or will go it alone and get a better result anyway, win/win situation in their minds. As for supporters being ashamed of their club and threatening to leave - Say we were the only one's to decline, we'd be consigning our club to also ran's quite possibly forever.

Maybe I'm stung a little by my SANFL club not having the spine to force a move into a bigger league which would have ensured it's future existence, at the highest level possible, but instead consigned themself to obscurity.

I'll add that I like the setup of the current competitions in Europe and would prefer to see no change to the structure .. Also hate the thought of forcing hardship on other clubs. But priority 1 for me is the long term survival and standing of our club at the highest possible level in our region.

OK, Im ready to get sh*t-canned over this, maybe I'm just not understanding enough so when I cop it please try and include some educational points along the way.
To be fair your sanfl club had the opportunity to join us when we were pushing in 92 and then they turn coated and ran back to the snaffle with the tail between the legs. Imagine a afl with port v norwood instead of the crows, what could have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back