The Bigfooty Liverpool Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate how the owners have thrown Jurg under the bus while they hide in their billionaire homes in complete silence

Jurg gets it spot on as usual

Lets also remember that when klopp arrived his english was barely passable. Listen to him now, eloquent, well spoken. So much respect for him, and non native english people adopting the language in high pressure situations

May 12, 2006
Lal Lal
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Elsternwick AFC
Julie Bishop did not interject her capitlaism into core West Coast Eagles policies though. If she did I wouldnt support Eagles.

So for example if Eagles went to China to create a Chinese football league. Im not supporting Eagles anymore. That is a given

Nice to know your abhorrence for capitalism stops at the water's edge. Now go away.

May 12, 2006
Lal Lal
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Elsternwick AFC
This might be my last post on here because I may be run out of the thread, but if I was the Liverpool manager this morning and I saw the Leeds players wearing that shirt in their warm up, it would have been the only thing I spoke about in the pre-match team talk. I don't care if the Leeds players are correct, Leeds made a UCL semi final once and have been in the Championship for a decade and a half despite being a big club, and we've won six European Cups. We have earned it.

It's wonderful to have a manager so thoughtful about so many wider things (as opposed to subs or a plan B occasionally) but he's never been able to do the "us versus them" thing that could have really worked in our favour tonight and would have made an impression on the players because it was so unexpected. Instead we got what we deserved after that dross of a second half.

I like that my clubs do things to help people and use their platforms to promote wider messages. But it is not what I support them for. I watch sport for the entertainment - it entertains me, and I'm more entertained when my team wins. This super league ain't ever going to happen, so all this rubbish about "game didn't mean anything anyway" is just that, rubbish. The reaction to this has been, in many ways, incredibly immature. When the big six are given the ultimatum "the super league or the premier league" the choice will be obvious. I think many have just been using this whole saga to whack money in football. If you really had a problem with money in football, you would have started supporting Macclesfield Town long ago.

CP28

Debutant
Oct 23, 2008
SA
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Norwood, LFC
To be fair your sanfl club had the opportunity to join us when we were pushing in 92 and then they turn coated and ran back to the snaffle with the tail between the legs. Imagine a afl with port v norwood instead of the crows, what could have been.

For sure, that was my point. Supporters and officials can get all moralistic in their arguments or defence of the club, but blinking when it was time to put our nuts on the line has cost us forever. Apologies, didn't mean to go off track with the SANFL. Mate of mine asked me to explain it this morning and this was my response:

I liken it a bit to when Eddie McGuire argued that Collingwoods position as the most watched club should have seen them earn more, rather than sit in a pool that’s distributed equally. The owners, as business people do, are focused only on financial opportunities and their bottom line. That’s the problem, they are businessmen first and foremost and football supporters a very very distant second. Football has been such a booming business, it sold its soul to the devil decades ago through foreign ownership and the greed and corruption of EUFA, FIFA and the FA’s, insane player wages etc.. Well now it’s coming home to roost. You have Real and Barca on the verge of bankruptcy so they’re desperate for this super league to go ahead (or changes to the current setup that massively increase their revenue share). The Yank owners now trying to Americanize a European football competition for their own $elf $erving purposes.

From an article I just read that included comments from an ECA spokesperson, it sounded to me like they’ll try to adapt the current EUFA comps to placate clubs with the bigger global followings to increase their earnings and retain the current setups. Hopefully it’s a case of the owners calling EUFA’s bluff, and all parties reach a happy agreement and we effectively keep what we’ve got.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back