The Bigfooty Liverpool Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

My side for Brentford (Assuming Thiago and Origi are still not back)

Jones-Firmino-Jota
Milner-Fabinho-Ox
Kostas-VVD-Konate-Arnold
Alisson

Subs: Kelleher, Matip, Gomez, Robertson, Neco, Henderson, Morton, Minamino, Gordon

Milner had ice on his leg on the bench didn’t he? He is just about cooked, we are so thin there, probably have to give Ox one last chance to impress.
I think he copped an elbow to the head.

We really are short in midfield.

I think our best midfield three is Fab/Thiago/Keita but Thiago and Naby are never on the pitch.

Milner really has become very ineffective and no wonder this is his last year with us.

Henderson (I love him, dearly) has been awful this season. Ever since he got that new big contract he has been really, really poor.

We need two new additions in midfield for next season. One to replace Milner and one world class signing to get us back up to speed.

The summer absolutely must two new midfielders and one attacking player as the drop from Mo, Mane, Bobby and Jota to Taki/Origi is far too steep.

Ox is just about done too.

Thoughts:

- rather than let Salah leave, we need to be looking for another one and that much was made obvious this morning
- Firmino hasn't play much lately and Jota is always coming in and out of games, but today clearly showed that Minamino is just that class below where we need him to be
- Scratching my head at that starting midfield. Should have clearly been Jones or Ox starting.
- Not a lot of wriggle room for the upcoming fixtures. Wouldn't be surprised to see another start for Tyler Morton. We've essentially got two fit, senior non-defenders spare (today it was Jones and Ox) with no prospect of adding to that any time soon.

My side for Brentford (Assuming Thiago and Origi are still not back)

Jones-Firmino-Jota
Milner-Fabinho-Ox
Kostas-VVD-Konate-Arnold
Alisson

Subs: Kelleher, Matip, Gomez, Robertson, Neco, Henderson, Morton, Minamino, Gordon

Milner just cannot be starting for us. Offers little these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Arsenal put in a really determined effort, credit to them. They now have the advantage going into the second leg. Effectively the first leg becomes irrelevant (0-0) now as there's no away goals.

Taki - we bought him because he was a promising talent for 7m. It just isn't happening for him and it's time to move him on in the summer window. Feel he would be suited to the Bundesliga / Serie A with his attributes.

Divock actually makes things happen when he gets on the pitch. We have an option to extend his contract for another season. IMO that's a good idea and for us to sign another younger forward.

I also believe the club won't give Bobby another deal as there's no way all 3 of the front 3 will get contract extensions. If we can get a top class forward in the summer and Mo/Sadio commit to new deals as much as I hate to say it I believe Bobby will be off in the summer under those circumstances. If Bobby does get a new deal that will mean one of Sadio/Mo will be sold in the summer.

I feel out of the front three who are all currently out of contract in June 2023, Firmino is the most likely to accept a lesser role and perhaps reduced financial terms to hang around.

I feel out of the front three who are all currently out of contract in June 2023, Firmino is the most likely to accept a lesser role and perhaps reduced financial terms to hang around.
Henderson had 2 more seasons after this one. Why the rush to upgrade his contract at 31 years young I wonder? He already was injury prone and his form was waning.

Arsenal put in a really determined effort, credit to them. They now have the advantage going into the second leg. Effectively the first leg becomes irrelevant (0-0) now as there's no away goals.

I disagree. As soon as they went down to 10 men then they setup with basically 10 men camped out in their 18 yard box. We were never winning that game tonight after the red card.
The return leg away is very winnable for us as long as they open up and try to score.

Taki - we bought him because he was a promising talent for 7m. It just isn't happening for him and it's time to move him on in the summer window. Feel he would be suited to the Bundesliga / Serie A with his attributes.

Divock actually makes things happen when he gets on the pitch. We have an option to extend his contract for another season. IMO that's a good idea and for us to sign another younger forward.

I also believe the club won't give Bobby another deal as there's no way all 3 of the front 3 will get contract extensions. If we can get a top class forward in the summer and Mo/Sadio commit to new deals as much as I hate to say it I believe Bobby will be off in the summer under those circumstances. If Bobby does get a new deal that will mean one of Sadio/Mo will be sold in the summer.
Are we selling Mo because Mbappe’s coming in on a free?
Even then I’d want both. What do you think Steven Gerrard ?

Henderson had 2 more seasons after this one. Why the rush to upgrade his contract at 31 years young I wonder? He already was injury prone and his form was waning.
Henderson wasn't the problem tonight. Our front 3 were toothless and also TAA who much of the attacking moments come from had an absolute shocker.

Henderson isn't injury prone he has played an average of 42 games a season for 10 years lol. Was also one of our best performers up until Christmas.

He'll be taking over Milner's place in the squad as the senior guy with leadership.

Just on Hendo, who somehow still doesn't get the respect he deserves despite all the trophies (we went seven years without winning one there, then won four in 13 months, and they were mostly the important ones), I do wonder whether Liverpool is still in this mindset that many clubs have moved on from, which is "the captain is fit, he must start". I remember in Gerrard's last season Rodgers tying himself in knots tactically to try and find a role for Gerrard, when for most of that season our most effective formation would have been a 4-3-3 with a midfield of Can, Henderson and either Lallana or Coutinho. Other clubs seem to be happy to have a captain who knows and accepts they aren't in the best XI any more. Recently the two Manchester teams have provided the clearest examples of this.

All things considered I believe our best midfield 3 is Fab, Thiago and one other, which can be someone more attacking such as Keita, Ox or Jones depending on form, or Hendo is something more solid is required.

I'm happy Hendo will play out his meaningful days with us. I'm just not sure he should be starting as much as he does.

BTW, I also thought he looked better than OK when at CB last season before he got hurt.

We really are short in midfield.

I think our best midfield three is Fab/Thiago/Keita but Thiago and Naby are never on the pitch.

Milner really has become very ineffective and no wonder this is his last year with us.

Henderson (I love him, dearly) has been awful this season. Ever since he got that new big contract he has been really, really poor.

We need two new additions in midfield for next season. One to replace Milner and one world class signing to get us back up to speed.

The summer absolutely must two new midfielders and one attacking player as the drop from Mo, Mane, Bobby and Jota to Taki/Origi is far too steep.

Ox is just about done too.

Oh look, you finally cottoned on that we are short in a few places. Mate I've been ranting on here since 2019 that we need to continuously reinvest so we can improve from a position of strength. Yet apparently I'm the crazy one. The fact is, we have gone backwards since winning the league. And why is that? Because our owner is a tightass. You can thank John Henry for this. Top top top sides continuously reinvest, we haven't because the ownership has implemented a sell to buy policy, which has hamstrung Klopp and the side. Of course, Klopp will never publicly admit it.

We are still some chance in Europe and maybe a cup but the league is gone. Unless the owner changes his policy or we get an owner that actually cares about the club winning and not just making money, you better get used to this mediocricy.

I'm not the crazy one mate, two years ago I could see this happening whilst you were blowing smole up Henry's ass. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back