Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
Last season I said we'd win it after we smashed Leicester on Boxing Day.

I'm waiting still before I proclaim anything. This next block of games might be tricky.
View attachment 1024348
Spurs is the big one, we should do Palace and Fulham. If we beat Tottenham, that will be a huge statement win.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
For me when he has been fit Matip is clearly better than Gomez and Fabinho could be one of the top CB's in the world if he chose to play there full time. If we do buy a quality CB in the window I wonder where that leaves Joe when he returns?
I actually agree with this. Gomez still nowhere near his best and is still young and will improve but Matip when no injured has been imperious ever since he joined us. He's been an excellent signing.

Good call on Fab, he's ridiculous the way he's just slotted back there. I'd still rather him in midfield though with VVD and Matip at CB.

He is only 23 - Gomez is well and truely still developing.

I am as confident as you could be given the injuries. Once players start coming back and settling Liverpool will be fine.

On the contenders, City are not what they used to be. Kane will get injured. Chelsea are a big unknown and maybe the biggest threat.

One thing is certain - this year is not going to be a cake walk.

I dont doubt Gomez is a quality defender and can improve but he could realistically be 3rd or 4th in line when he returns and possibly 5th if you include Fab. Given he would start for a lot of other clubs I wonder what happens with him, can't imagine he would be happy not playing when he's in the national setup.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
I dont doubt Gomez is a quality defender and can improve but he could realistically be 3rd or 4th in line when he returns and possibly 5th if you include Fab. Given he would start for a lot of other clubs I wonder what happens with him, can't imagine he would be happy not playing when he's in the national setup.

I doubt Fab continues at CB once VVD & Jogo both return. We definitely will be buying another CB. Matip is quality but he is approaching 30 and gets injured very easily.

As for Gomez I can see him becoming first choice again, age is on his side. If his injuries continue to persist I doubt we'll give him a new deal though.

Nuke Fremantle

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2007
Dullsville
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
So lads... how do we think were going? Pushing towards a third of the way through the season. Are we retaining the title?

Gotta get a good CB in January. It'll cost us, but it has to be done. Fab has been doing a fine job back there but if we're serious about knocking off a Bayern or Juventus in the CL or retaining the league title we need him in the middle of the park.

Gomez LFC career definitely in the balance. Getting impact injuries is one thing but wrecking your knee when no one's around is quite another. It's clear we can't build our future back 4 around him. I think he's okay for 3rd or 4th choice and being home grown helps, but as others have said his ambitions will be higher than that.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Did anything official ever come from the club saying than VVD had torn his ACL and had a knee reconstruction?

All the official releases I've read have been a bit vague both on the injury and timeframe

All non-official releases and media reports say ACL but I thought at the time we were quite coy on the details. Now he's back in the gym. Hmmm

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Did anything official ever come from the club saying than VVD had torn his ACL and had a knee reconstruction?

All the official releases I've read have been a bit vague both on the injury and timeframe

All non-official releases and media reports say ACL but I thought at the time we were quite coy on the details. Now he's back in the gym. Hmmm

I read a full tear somewhere. Normal to be doing light work at this stage. You lose strength in the quads if they dont get worked leading to further injury problems after ACL recovery.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
If you have 4 quality centre backs then you'll never have an injury and it will be difficult to give 3rd and 4th choices enough playing time.

If you have 3 quality centre backs then you'll have minimum 2 of them injured at all times

Sod's law

CFC_JP

Club Legend
Jun 21, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
I read a full tear somewhere. Normal to be doing light work at this stage. You lose strength in the quads if they dont get worked leading to further injury problems after ACL recovery.
As soon as your out of the operating theatre and into your hospital bed a machine similar to a car jack is placed beneath your knee. This machine moves up and down continuously all day every day whilst in hospital. They want those muscles around the knee (quads) to not lose definition. In the old days they use to put your leg in plaster for 3 months and you would lose all muscle definition.

If you have 4 quality centre backs then you'll never have an injury and it will be difficult to give 3rd and 4th choices enough playing time.

If you have 3 quality centre backs then you'll have minimum 2 of them injured at all times

Sod's law

Probably helps Gomez that he's reasonable enough as a right back when required. With 4 I think at least one of them has to be able to play another position at a decent level.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
I'm bored so let's put this here

Click bait.

It's never happening. He'd destroy the wage budget and you cant have him coming in on 400K when most our top players now are only on around 200K. Would be a huge slap in the face to all the players who got us to where we are.

He'll only ever end up at Madrid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back