Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 12, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bombers/Liverpool FC
Twice this season, FSG's been more interested in power grabbing and money chasing than buying a CB

This is probably the most advanced in the planning stage this whole Super league thing's been, probably already got broadcast partners and sponsors lined up and s**t

Not against holding UEFA's feet to the fire at times but the whole concept of the Super League is just stupid, I hate it here

May 23, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah, I'm mortified reading the press release. Goes against everything we've stood for as a club and a supporter base.

Two groups of 10! Would basically be playing every Wednesday on top of the EPL (if we are still allowed in it).

With UEFA and FIFA saying they will ban any players playing in it from competing in UEFA and FIFA competitions, I doubt this will get off the ground. The players won't want to miss out on playing internationals and with the massive backlash from fans, I think a few teams may reconsider their stance on this.

May 23, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You realise the superleague does not 4eplace the EPL?

It replaces the Champions & Europa league.

It does if we get booted out of the EPL. Unbelievable misreading of the play on this one by FSG and the club. UK Government talking about sanctions as well.

Jurgen is on the record publicly saying he hates the idea and thinks it's utter bollocks - my greatest fear is he resigns in principle (which I wouldn't blame him for at all).

So flat on the club, what a disappointing 12 months after last year.

I think it's just posturing from the super clubs to get a bigger slice of the profits.
Doubt they actually go through with it given the ramifications UEFA and FIFA are threatening.

Xmc08

Debutant
Apr 19, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
It does if we get booted out of the EPL. Unbelievable misreading of the play on this one by FSG and the club. UK Government talking about sanctions as well.

Jurgen is on the record publicly saying he hates the idea and thinks it's utter bollocks - my greatest fear is he resigns in principle (which I wouldn't blame him for at all).

So flat on the club, what a disappointing 12 months after last year.
The chances of this happening are virtually zero. Not even the smaller clubs would want this to happen because it would cripple them badly financially. They're all now depending on the big TV rights deal, and that deal depends on top clubs being in the EPL.

Dec 12, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bombers/Liverpool FC
I think it's just posturing from the super clubs to get a bigger slice of the profits.
Doubt they actually go through with it given the ramifications UEFA and FIFA are threatening.

I agree, if they really go ahead with it then it's just mutual destruction. Loads of threats right now but a compromise will be reached, hopefully anyway

Xmc08

Debutant
Apr 19, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
I agree, if they really go ahead with it then it's just mutual destruction. Loads of threats right now but a compromise will be reached, hopefully anyway
It's bigger than just a slice of the profits. There have been rumblings about UEFA European competitions for a while now. Clubs like Barcelona hate going to places like Turkey or Kazan, and know full well it would be far more profitable to only ever play big clubs.

To put it another way, its not so much about being unsatisfied with their current slice; what they really want is a bigger, tastier cake.

Aug 11, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool

That's what I've always thought while it's been simmering away in the background with articles popping up occasionally. Now that clubs are officially announcing their intentions I'm not so sure. I'd still have my money on it not getting off the ground at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back