The Bigfooty Liverpool Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as we loved the quadruple talk, and will celebrate the wins this year, we need to piss off the cup comps again to avoid 3 months of 3 day breaks and fixture logjams
We didn't treat the cups any more specially than we usually do. We rested our big guns until the latter stages, so it mattered no more than it usually would.
Man City have played 2 less games than us since the winter break and in that time they had less points in the league than us, lost an FA Cup semi final to us and failed yet again in Europe.
They won the league because they were so far ahead in January, not because they had slightly less games.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve enjoyed the cup wins like everyone else and selfishly, I like having a game every few days, but reality is, we can’t compete financially with City. We can’t have £100m players as back-ups, and injury aside, we can’t play our stars every game (eg Salah, Virg, Fab) and expect back-ups to sit on the bench or not even make the squad, because those we can afford are looking to play and build a career (eg Carvalho), not cash-in on an existing record.

Blame it on the draws, blame it on covid at the worst time, blame it on AFCON…it all adds up sadly

If he's even 75% I'd risk him, start him and hope he can play and play well. If after 20 mins it's just not happening for him, we can make a sub. It's worth the risk though.

I dont reckon he plays. No chance with such a short turnaround.

Yeah absolutely risk him if he's good enough to start with the 5 subs. He's that good and the midfield depth just isn't as good as other areas so its a decent drop off to whoever comes in.

Looking forward to Carvalho next season but we need to be realistic. As talented as he is, he's a 19 yo coming up from the Championship to play for the biggest club in England. I'm sure Klopp will map out a plan.

spot on. im going to wait for a year if not 2 before making a call on him.

If he's even 75% I'd risk him, start him and hope he can play and play well. If after 20 mins it's just not happening for him, we can make a sub. It's worth the risk though.

I dont reckon he plays. No chance with such a short turnaround.

true

Yeah absolutely risk him if he's good enough to start with the 5 subs. He's that good and the midfield depth just isn't as good as other areas so its a decent drop off to whoever comes in.

yeah, i do not want to see brexit midfield hendo/milner/jones/elliott

Yeah with the 5 subs, it gives us that extra leeway to risk Thiago. Plus it's the end of the season anyways so he plays and injures himself more, well he has the whole off season to get right.

If it doesnt work, we still have 4 subs up our sleeve for tactical moves later on. I'm sure Jurg will be thinking the same.

We didn't treat the cups any more specially than we usually do. We rested our big guns until the latter stages, so it mattered no more than it usually would.
Man City have played 2 less games than us since the winter break and in that time they had less points in the league than us, lost an FA Cup semi final to us and failed yet again in Europe.
They won the league because they were so far ahead in January, not because they had slightly less games.
I think there are two things that changed for Liverpool in the second half of the season and if those things happened in the first half Liverpool win the league.
  1. Thiago became a dominant player. He finally got on the park consistently and he took over the midfield.
  2. Diaz. His arrival instantly changed Liverpool. His energy, his pace, trickery.
If Liverpool had both those things for the whole season they win the League.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think there are two things that changed for Liverpool in the second half of the season and if those things happened in the first half Liverpool win the league.
  1. Thiago became a dominant player. He finally got on the park consistently and he took over the midfield.
  2. Diaz. His arrival instantly changed Liverpool. His energy, his pace, trickery.
These are solid points. Will be interesting to see how we go with Diaz for the full season and a pre-season under his belt and more and more understanding of how we play.

Vitezslav Jaros' half season loan at Notts County finished. They came 5th in the National League but fell short in the playoffs. He didn't play in the last few games though. He was in goal for 15 games, conceding 25 goals and had 3 cleansheets.

Agreed. Surely though we spend another £50m on a midfielder this summer.

Also after the game against Chelsea in early Jan we made a tactical tweak to be not so gung ho with our attacking. We still kept scoring enough but not shipping so many cheap goals.

Plus one of them seems to always be injured.
Yep. Look at what Diaz did for the attack. Just that extra world class attacking player which tipped us over the edge from 4 to 5. So even with one injury, we still had 3 starting and one top class option coming from the bench. When all five are healthy, myriad of options.

Same in midfield now. We need that 5th guy. Fab, Thiago, Hendo and Keita are all top class and can be counted on, now we need that 5th guy. It used to be Gini but he wasnt replaced. The drop off is too sharp to an old Milner, a cooked Ox or a too young Jones and Elliott.

Yep. Look at what Diaz did for the attack. Just that extra world class attacking player which tipped us over the edge from 4 to 5. So even with one injury, we still had 3 starting and one top class option coming from the bench. When all five are healthy, myriad of options.

Same in midfield now. We need that 5th guy. Fab, Thiago, Hendo and Keita are all top class and can be counted on, now we need that 5th guy. It used to be Gini but he wasnt replaced. The drop off is too sharp to an old Milner, a cooked Ox or a too young Jones and Elliott.
Spot on. Definitely need a midfielder of class and probably a proper right back replacement for TAA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back