The Bigfooty Liverpool Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disappointing end but that was the most un-Liverpool performance I've seen all season. Slow, uninspired, no press, no energy. We just looked like a really, really tired team just hanging on and hoping for a bit of luck or some bad defending or a mistake which we never got. Helps too when Courtois was saving everything.

But we were just absolutely nowhere near our best. Real barely troubled us but somehow found a goal. Bitter way to end the season. That's really one that has gotten away though, we are better than that Madrid side and it would be deserved for this wonderful team to have gotten a second European Cup.

Still love each and every one of them. They need a rest. We need some reinforcements, and now we go again.

Players were running on fumes. We looked gassed. I was so surprised at the lack of energy for a big final, the press was non existent. The commentators mentioned that it may have been us pulling back to protect the wings but we just didn't seem to play our game. I firmly believe that Real were possibly the worst team to come up against as they are the sort of team that were going to sit back and hold out for that one chance that they did end up getting.

I think TAA gets a lot of stick but there were also many good moments of defending from him, I actually though Robbo was a bit off tonight. Salah is also a worry in these sorts of games. I feel he was not the same player after AFCON.

Bitterly disappointing season in my opinion.

Yeah Robbo was poor at times. Where was he for their goal? TAA copping stick but the attack came from Robbo's side and Virg had to come across to cover which opened us up

His crosses rarely cleared the first man too

Disappointing end to a great season

Add an attacking midfielder and a striker and we can challenge again though

It sucks, man, got a million things to say but there's really no point, Real Madrid has the wood on us and know how to play us really well, we were too naive in patches, but it's gone, no point dwelling on it

Who knows what happens next season, depends if Sadio and Mo sign new contracts, if Sadio really leaves for Bayern then we have to sign a center forward

Also, ACAB reminder with the French police

TAA really needs to develop his dribbling capabilities. Carvajal was up and down all night, solid defensively.
Reece James is how you’d want a Rb to play. The tracking back and ball watching is what TAA gets singled out for. Just a poor all round night for him.

If we are to win doubles or triples, the club desperately needs to buy more quality players and compete with the likes of Man City.

It sucks, man, got a million things to say but there's really no point, Real Madrid has the wood on us and know how to play us really well, we were too naive in patches, but it's gone, no point dwelling on it

Who knows what happens next season, depends if Sadio and Mo sign new contracts, if Sadio really leaves for Bayern then we have to sign a center forward

Also, ACAB reminder with the French police
Mane has been great for Liverpool, legend status. He’s 31 next year, Salah 30. They’re probably looking at their next contract as their bonus
Liverpool will have to transition from this squad into a younger, different one over the next few years

Mane has been great for Liverpool, legend status. He’s 31 next year, Salah 30. They’re probably looking at their next contract as their bonus
Liverpool will have to transition from this squad into a younger, different one over the next few years
Keep Mane and sell Salah. The problem with this is that someone is more likely to buy Mane. Salah has less interest from potential suitors imo.

Seriously not winning enough trophies for how good this Liverpool side is. Klopp's tenure is being marred by all these runner-up and 2nd placed finishes... deserved to, and had to win last night. He's got 4 years left? Has to win the league a couple of times at least. Imagine him walking away after 10 years and only having 1 league and 1 UCL to show for it. We're better than that. Hate seeing all the backpatting "Oh we did so well to get as far as we did." (especially on Reddit and RAWK) because it means nothing if we're not lifting a trophy.

Seriously not winning enough trophies for how good this Liverpool side is. Klopp's tenure is being marred by all these runner-up and 2nd placed finishes... deserved to, and had to win last night. He's got 4 years left? Has to win the league a couple of times at least. Imagine him walking away after 10 years and only having 1 league and 1 UCL to show for it. We're better than that. Hate seeing all the backpatting "Oh we did so well to get as far as we did." (especially on Reddit and RAWK) because it means nothing if we're not lifting a trophy.
That’s the reality of being in the league of Man city. Any other seasons sure. But Liverpool are competing with Saudi money. Klopp deserves all the credit to squeezing every ounce from this squad. But it’s up to FSG to be competitive, which will never happen
Wouldn’t mind being sold by a more ambitious, wealthier financial group

That’s the reality of being in the league of Man city. Any other seasons sure. But Liverpool are competing with Saudi money. Klopp deserves all the credit to squeezing every ounce from this squad. But it’s up to FSG to be competitive, which will never happen
Wouldn’t mind being sold by a more ambitious, wealthier financial group
I think we hold up nicely against theirs(?), our squad is of Sham City's equal. Although now they have Haaland perhaps not... As much as I like Firmino he's never been prolific enough, and a player from an era we were struggling in. Should've been someone we upgraded on at some point to be honest, and maybe Haaland could've been the one. A player with his goalscoring record can turn a draw into 3 points which we rarely ever get from Firmino. Sorry, not sorry. Our owners have been fine otherwise I thought.

Last edited:
We are up against a City team with a great manager and unlimited resources, and in Europe we are up against a one in a century Real Madrid squad that has won 6 European Cups very quickly.

It's just unlucky timing, but Jurgen is still the only manager to have ever won every major trophy as Liverpool manager, his legacy is cemented, anything else is bonus

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TAA really needs to develop his dribbling capabilities. Carvajal was up and down all night, solid defensively.
Reece James is how you’d want a Rb to play. The tracking back and ball watching is what TAA gets singled out for. Just a poor all round night for him.

If we are to win doubles or triples, the club desperately needs to buy more quality players and compete with the likes of Man City.

All 3 need to work on their dribbling.. TAA Robbo and the Tsim.. learn a few tricks to get past their opponents.

I think we hold up nicely against theirs(?), our squad is of Sham City's equal. Although now they have Haaland perhaps not... As much as I like Firmino he's never been prolific enough, and a player from an era we were struggling in. Should've been someone we upgraded on at some point to be honest, and maybe Haaland could've been the one. A player with his goalscoring record can turn a draw into 3 points which we rarely ever get from Firmino. Sorry, not sorry. Our owners have been fine otherwise I thought.
Of course, hence why Klopp doing what he does with the squad is even more extraordinary.
Man city has depth for 50+ games. Mahrez, Gudoggan, Sterling, Grealish were on the bench for some games, whereas Liverpool have had to start Mane and Salah in probably 80% of games to even compete.
There’s quality around, but it’s up to the owners. What are their objectives ?

It sounds like we want 50m for Sadio.

If thats on offer as much as I love SadiobI say take it provided Nunez is signed immediately to replace him.

Sign Mo to a new deal, keep Bobby next season to teach Carvalho the false 9 role.

This squad needs to evolve and I believe Jurg will leave us only when he believes he has left a new squad in great shape for a new manager in 4 years time.

Apparently Robbo gave a ticket to a friend who was then told at the gate that it was fake.

Anderson Arroyo finished his loan at CD Mirandes, they finished lower-mid table in the Spanish 2nd div. He was originally a left back, but has been converted into a centre back. He was a regular for them playing 42 games in all comps.

A few points.

Salah announcing he is staying next year means we will get nothing for him when his contract is up. Bad bit of business by Liverpool in my opinion. They should have either extended his contract this year which means he becomes an asset with value in it or they should have tried to sell him in January. Now we are in no man's land and he holds all the cards. He's done nothing since January except sulk about not scoring goals and losing the AFCON final. He actually became a liability at times, as if his place in the side was a waste. He promised revenge against Senegal in the WC qualifier and he promised same against Real Madrid and failed to deliver both times. In future he just needs to shut his gob. Certainly not blaming him for the loss against RM though, albeit, he gave them extra motivation.

Mane, I don't want him to go. Simple as that.

Tsimikas, I think Klopp needs to play him more in the league next season. He is too good a player to be playing second fiddle and I fear we risk losing him due to lack of opportunity. Robertson needs a break as well, less games per season will prolong his career. He's been a workhorse for 5 or 6 seasons now.

Our midfield is our achilles heal. Individually, Fabinho, Henderson, Alcantara, Elliot, they are all players I would want in the team, but as a collective, our midfield struggles to provide quality supply to our front 3, thus having to rely on our fullbacks for that quality. Henderson played a couple of pearlers to let Salah get in behind earlier in the season and Thiago is a passing machine, but we just lack that top notch quality to pierce a low block. This type of player is the difference between winning a cup final or a tense league game one or two nil and winning on pens/sharing the points.

A few rumours about Kane to Liverpool. I would take him in a heart beat. He's 29, at the height of his career, a goal scoring machine and he's hungry for silverware I liken it to when Van Persie went to Man Utd and was motivated to win trophies, which he did. I think he averaged something like 1.5 goals per game for the scum.

Klopp needs to do something about Gomez. He's clearly behind Matip, Konate and VVD as a centre half but he showed his potential when he played at right back.

Minamino, he showed his worth as a squad player this season. The Ox, not so. I think it's time we moved him on. Unfortunately, injury after injury has stifled his progression in the team.

And finally, our beloved owners. They really need to open up the purse strings this window, now more than ever.

Lose the league by a point on the final day and then lose the CL final 1-0 after having 23 shots at goal, 9 on target, all in the space of 7 days. The last time I felt this flat was when Gerrard slipped. I'm gonna go cry some more.

We are up against a City team with a great manager and unlimited resources, and in Europe we are up against a one in a century Real Madrid squad that has won 6 European Cups very quickly.

It's just unlucky timing, but Jurgen is still the only manager to have ever won every major trophy as Liverpool manager, his legacy is cemented, anything else is bonus
Yeah let's not kid ourselves. If Klopp wasnt here we wouldnt have won any trophies at all over the past 5 or so years. He's incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back