The Bigfooty Liverpool Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, Matip's problem is staying on the park. He's been a very solid player his entire time at the club.

Watching Trent really closely this morning, and it just effects everyone around him. Salah is too good of a teammate to just run in front of him when Trent decides to go inside right, which is all. the. time. That's why Salah is so wide. Trent doesn't run sideline any more. Then when the ball turns over, everyone is moved out of shape to cover for Trent. Salah's heat map from this morning would be pretty instructive.

Jota's performance this morning was encouraging. Hopefully it takes some of the pressure off Nunez. We've been so blessed as supporters to see Mane, Salah, Diaz and Jota hit the ground running as soon as they arrived. Everyone forgets how long it took Bobby to really start to consistently perform (and I love Bobby). If Nunez can come off the bench, hopefully jag a couple, perhaps get an easy kill in a cup match, then he can really grow into the role, which will be different to others before him at Liverpool.

But on the whole I thought the performance this morning wasn't a turning point. Felt a lot like the Newcastle game.

This is also an issue when Elliot plays as he does not offer much in the way of defensive cover. Hopefully as his game develops he isn't so one sided either. Always looking to turn onto his left which can become a bit predictable.

TAA was incredibly bad for their goal. First allowing the wide run and then just jogged in no man's land instead of attempting to cover the ball back in.

I don't think Trent's been great defensively but Elliot should've tracked his midfield runner, no back 4 can cope if midfielders are just allowed to make runs at them

Don't think Elliot and Trent is a good combo on the right, don't really compliment each other offensively and defensively

Agree. I would not underestimate Matip either. Gomez was a problem.
I've been on the Matip train ever since he arrived and even the last 12 months or so when people have been wanting Konate, I'm still a firm believer our best partnership is VVD/Matip.

I know people will laugh at me so I dont really voice on the main boards cos I'll just get called out etc but I think Matip is one of the best CB's in the world and has been for years but gets massively overshadowed by Virg.

He's incredibly calm, good on the ball, scores goals, dangerous in the air, smart, has terrific game awareness and sensing of danger and also carries the ball well and often opens up defenses with his runs from deep and he's rarely beaten 1v1.

He's terrific and has been ever since he joined. One of the bargains of the century.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think Trent's been great defensively but Elliot should've tracked his midfield runner, no back 4 can cope if midfielders are just allowed to make runs at them

Don't think Elliot and Trent is a good combo on the right, don't really compliment each other offensively and defensively
Yeah I dont want to call out Elliott because he is a talent but whats the one thing that has changed this season to seasons previously?

Mo is still wide right and TAA is still at RB. The change has been who is inbetween them. In years gone by it's been Henderson or Keita or Wijnaldum. Elliott isnt at that standard yet and doesnt provide the cover and experience that those blokes have done in the past.

Often when TAA is caught out of position (which is by design, we want him to get forward and create) Elliott is nowhere to be seen on the cover.

I love Harvey and he has a massive future but right now, he's not working well with TAA and Mo on that right side.

Also am I the only one incredibly excited about Bajcetic? I've heard our coaches think he is waaaay ahead of where he should be. Every time I've seen him play he's looked the part. Often times, young players can look good in small patches, a little trick here, a take on there, a good run but often they are caught out or out of position or make mistakes and that's fine, they are young and learning, but with Bajcetic, you dont see those. It's like he's 25 and 17.

And I know it was a time wasting sub and he was only on a for a minute but a high pressure CL game you want to hold onto and win and he had the experienced Arthur to call on, maybe throw in Gomez as another defender to get us over the line, or the young but still more experienced Carvalho but Klopp turned to Bajcetic and trusts him to go on, even if for just a minute and sort it out.

I reckon he's gonna be a real good one and I also think we might have an answer to our midfield problems where next summer we might just need to bring in two mids instead of three.

Also am I the only one incredibly excited about Bajcetic? I've heard our coaches think he is waaaay ahead of where he should be. Every time I've seen him play he's looked the part. Often times, young players can look good in small patches, a little trick here, a take on there, a good run but often they are caught out or out of position or make mistakes and that's fine, they are young and learning, but with Bajcetic, you dont see those. It's like he's 25 and 17.

And I know it was a time wasting sub and he was only on a for a minute but a high pressure CL game you want to hold onto and win and he had the experienced Arthur to call on, maybe throw in Gomez as another defender to get us over the line, or the young but still more experienced Carvalho but Klopp turned to Bajcetic and trusts him to go on, even if for just a minute and sort it out.

I reckon he's gonna be a real good one and I also think we might have an answer to our midfield problems where next summer we might just need to bring in two mids instead of three.

Morton is ahead of him in the pecking order. Reckon a seaaon in the championship playing first team football every week will be ideal for Bajcetic.

Also just saw an article on ThisIsAnfield about the fans reaction to Thiago's performance and what a difference he makes. A lot of fans saying is it overreacting saying he is one of the best midfielders the club has ever seen.

For me, not an overreaction, he'd be second behind only Gerrard for midfielders I've seen at the club, just in front of Xabi Alonso who would be 3rd.

Harder to judge going back to guys I didnt see play like Souness who would be in most people's all time Liverpool XI.

Also just saw an article on ThisIsAnfield about the fans reaction to Thiago's performance and what a difference he makes. A lot of fans saying is it overreacting saying he is one of the best midfielders the club has ever seen.

For me, not an overreaction, he'd be second behind only Gerrard for midfielders I've seen at the club, just in front of Xabi Alonso who would be 3rd.

Harder to judge going back to guys I didnt see play like Souness who would be in most people's all time Liverpool XI.
Every touch

I've been on the Matip train ever since he arrived and even the last 12 months or so when people have been wanting Konate, I'm still a firm believer our best partnership is VVD/Matip.

I know people will laugh at me so I dont really voice on the main boards cos I'll just get called out etc but I think Matip is one of the best CB's in the world and has been for years but gets massively overshadowed by Virg.

He's incredibly calm, good on the ball, scores goals, dangerous in the air, smart, has terrific game awareness and sensing of danger and also carries the ball well and often opens up defenses with his runs from deep and he's rarely beaten 1v1.

He's terrific and has been ever since he joined. One of the bargains of the century.
Spot on and how good is Thiago? Can we clone him? Thiago marshals the midfield. Liverpool is definitely has more cohesion when he’s on the park.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back