The Bigfooty Liverpool Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

With Mac, Szo and Thiago, suddenly there's a lot of technical ability in midfield

We just need to fix the defensive/hard yards side of it now, a good no.6 and a defender would be nice.

Agreed but imo it’s not just down to 1 player - we were defensively weak last season largely because the whole system of our press broke down after introducing players in attack and in the midfield who weren’t capable of pressing the opposition at the standard required for that system to function.

New players like Nunez & Gakpo who are many levels below Firmino & Mané in terms of defensive output.

Youngsters like Elliott who might get there but don’t quite have the game IQ yet to be completely reliable defensively.

Older guys like Thiago who despite being an elite footballer, will never be pressing at the level of some of the other midfielders we’ve had over the years.

And then a lack of continuity in midfield (and the predictability that comes with that) when guys like Thiago, Keita, Ox just can’t get on the park.

When it works it works brilliantly but when you get chinks in the armour like this^ you start to see the opposition getting through the press cheaply, our players being caught out of position, etc.

That’s where I’ll be looking for change and improvement defensively. Hopefully even just the 2 signings we’ve already made will help.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we are still buying Thuram then we're 100% playing him at no.6
Dont reckon he is a 6 though. I'll admit not having seen much of him outside of every video I cant find since we've been linked. And from all the info I've gathered on him, he seems more box to box with dribbling and driving at defenders a real strength.

Lavia would be the more natural 6. I reckon Saints ask way too much money for him though rather than probably being able to get Thuram for 30-35.

Even if we ride Fab/Hendo/Bajcetic at the 6 for this season and bring in Thuram now which would likely be a Thiago replacement as he is in his final year.

So then next summer, Thiago out and a DM in.

Tap in seems to think we're in contact with Soton for Lavia and he's been pretty accurate about us all summer

Not sure about this one, he's a bit raw for my liking and we'd need someone ******* amazing to play at no.6 considering how open we play, but with the home grown situation we probably have no choice

Tap in seems to think we're in contact with Soton for Lavia and he's been pretty accurate about us all summer

Not sure about this one, he's a bit raw for my liking and we'd need someone ******* amazing to play at no.6 considering how open we play, but with the home grown situation we probably have no choice
The thing with Lavia, he's obviously one for the future but even if we bought him right now, would he be ahead of Bajcetic to back up Fabinho. I'd doubt it.

The thing with Lavia, he's obviously one for the future but even if we bought him right now, would he be ahead of Bajcetic to back up Fabinho. I'd doubt it.

Bajcetic isn't expected back until September or something. Lavia will be ahead of him for the moment if he joins. They'll both get plenty of minutes if he joins which is a good thing preventing chronic injuries in young players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back