The Bigfooty Official Week 11 NBA thread - Rest in Peace David Stern ;(

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Really saddened by the passing of David Stern, when you compare how many muppets have run the NFL, FIFA and The AFL over the years, he truly was one of the finest sporting commissioners ever. I always loved his championship and finals MVP presentation, the 2008 Celtics run being a favourite of mine (‘somewhere, someplace, Red is lighting up a cigar’)

The game helped become a global powerhouse because of Stern (and of course, Larry, Magic, Detroit Bad Boys and MJ) in the 80s/90s (The golden age of the NBA for me)

It's a tough one to judge his career.

Looking big picture it's nothing short of amazing, but the question is how much was him and how much was 'right place at the right time'?

I don't have the answer to that.

I think the black athlete is responsible for the greatness that the NBA became. The slam dunk was the most exciting thing in global sport and it began to take off just as Stern arrived. This also created a bigger emphasis on athleticism over IQ and shooting which was also a more exciting product.

And now today where are we? 7 foot guys who are elite athletes with soft hands and can also shoot the 3 ball.

Also don't forget the power of advertising. I lived in the USA in '92-93 and Jordan + Nike + Gatorade + the 'nothing but net' adds is still permanently embedded in my mind.

For the kids

Also how much of a hick was Larry Bird :kissingclosed:

May 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah, he definitely timed it right in regard to advertising, TV exploding and some guy named Jordan.

But he also did a lot of things right. Promoting players over teams and cleaning up the league to name a couple.

Santoz

Chief's Public Enemy #1
30k Posts 10k Posts Freeze MND Challenge 2021 Chess Club Member
Mar 10, 2006
Weir Stables
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
JJ Barea is past it.

Mavs need a secondary ball handler. Perhaps they could turn that tall number 77 into one in future.

Santoz

Chief's Public Enemy #1
30k Posts 10k Posts Freeze MND Challenge 2021 Chess Club Member
Mar 10, 2006
Weir Stables
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Seth Curry is cookin.

Michael Porter Jnr.....remember the name

Pre injury he was top 5 if not top 3 talent .. noting that he got injured his first college game so it was very early prediction. Watching his highlights from the game today he seems to like the Harden style approach of playing below the rim and making strong body contact.

May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, New Orleans Pels
Two big rivalries headline tomorrow's games.

The Suns and the Knicks will meet in the Starbury Cup, not to be confused with the Star Cup in MarioKart. Look2Me4Guidance and Santoz , if there is not at least one Amare jibe, one Luc Longley mutual commiseration and one Dolan/Sarver comparison, then I will be disappoint.

Last but not least, the Lakers and Pels will resume their ongoing titanic struggle, mainly centred around the right to call one man their own. I am of course talking about one of this generation's transcendent talents, Xavier Henry.

JJ Barea is past it.

Mavs need a secondary ball handler. Perhaps they could turn that tall number 77 into one in future.
He’ll need to face his defender at all times

The Suns and the Knicks will meet in the Starbury Cup, not to be confused with the Star Cup in MarioKart. Look2Me4Guidance and Santoz , if there is not at least one Amare jibe, one Luc Longley mutual commiseration and one Dolan/Sarver comparison, then I will be disappoint.

Last but not least, the Lakers and Pels will resume their ongoing titanic struggle, mainly centred around the right to call one man their own. I am of course talking about one of this generation's transcendent talents, Xavier Henry.
The complete lack of a Lou Amundson mention upsets me greatly

Props for mario kart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back