The Bigfooty Official Week 13 thread (where you take 5 steps)

May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, New Orleans Pels
Okay, I'll wear this one. I was responding more to the tone of your post than the content. It appeared quite grumpy/aggressive/whatever you want to call it, so I jumped in.

Well my original post was jumped on as alleged 'rubbish', and then I was the obvious intended reader for a shitpost a few days later. In the circumstances I don't think it's unjustified to reply with forceful intent. It really doesn't require an intervention based on my tone, it takes two to tango.

Those other 4 things happened over a period of like 18 months. That's hardly crazy for 1,000s (?) of posts to want to have a discussion about different aspects of basketball. I can probably find 4 that you disagreed with me and responded to one of my posts.

I have no problem with you or anyone else having a different POV. That's just real life.

It's like the AFL tanking thing - I'm cynical about the whole decade, while you're convinced the Eagles never tanked. That's fine, I'm not going to seek to convince you to change your opinion. Agreeing to disagree is A-OK with me.

However if you want to jump into a conversation that hitherto had not involved you, don't make it personal. This...

Pretty hilarious you pull him up for cherry picking, and then you cherry pick two games out of a 40 game season. Why didn't you go back one more game and include his 7 for 23 game?

And it's funnier because it only shows okay shooting games. 51%. Wow!

Dude is having an abortion of a shooting season.

Someone using a joke to say he's shooting a bunch of bricks is a fair criticism of his game his year. I'm not sure why you took offense to it.

... kinda read as smart-arsey. Misguided smart-arsery.

Isn't that what we are here for? To discuss basketball. To have a back and forth on some issues? Otherwise we should just all be in here and posting nothing posts and making fun of pricey's mum.

I think it's done very well here. For a forum that's full of different NBA team supporters to be able to discuss basketball with 95%+ of the discussion being a civil back and forth is great, and unheard of from around the internet (look at the main board here full of different AFL team supporters. It's so bad they have a Bay 13 to try and contain it).

I love discussing basketball. I love to get into the nitty gritty. And I love having back and forths with people. And I love reading other people's back and forths (including yours with other people). It helps shape my opinion on a subject. I like listening to other people's ideas.

Couldn't agree more, it's a great forum. Far prefer a general fan forum to a team-only forum, it's much more educational.

Personally I try not to be biased against any team. OK I fail sometimes with the Lakers, but I try. My major irritant (in sports, or in life) is with lazy narratives - doesn't matter which team or which player, or which posts them. I'll always contest them, mainly because I'd hate to see this board or any other board for that matter becoming a microcosm of ESPN or the talking-heads syndrome.

So yeah, I'll happily defend Mitchell against a lazy narrative. By the same token I'd happily defend Ben Simmons if some kind of BS narrative was directed at him, whether it be "he's sh1t because he can't shoot" or whatever. Probably because it's an Aussie forum there hasn't really been too many of those narratives voiced about Simmons, but if it came up I'd be the first to shoot that down too.

Anyway, in the future, I will surely reply to a comment you make. If you think I'm "tiresome", feel free to ignore it and move on. But, if you are willing to discuss basketball, that would be great too.

You have carte blanche to reply to as many of my posts as you wish. You're also perfectly welcome to disagree.

Just please don't make it about tone or whatever - that's the bit that is tiresome to address. Different POV? That's fine.

May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, New Orleans Pels
But in all seriousness, Ayton's physique will dominate for 15 years. He looks like David Robinson.

What I like about Ayton is his soft touch.

Reminds me more of Olajuwon in that way - he used to just drop the thing in the hoop like it was a cotton ball. Brad Daugherty and Rik Smits to a lesser extent too.

Back