The Bigfooty Official Week 14 NBA Thread. The return of Zion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ingram has tried to force too much tonight. Especially against LMA in the paint.

Shame, he is a great player having an amazing year but the one time Pels get noticed he has a stinker IMO.

Here is a bit of trivia for ya'll.

Anthony Davis debut at home to Spurs, had 21 points, 7 rebounds, 0 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 0 turnovers, 6-12 shooting in 29 minutes. Lost by 4 points

Zion Williamson debut at home to Spurs, had 22 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 0 steals, 0 blocks, 5 turnovers, 8-11 shooting in 18 minutes. Lost by 4 points.

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
Fun game. Good win by Spurs, big game by Aldridge.

Good Zion experience first up. First three quarters he looked like a guy who hadn’t played in three months but that three minute stretch was great. Looking forward to seeing him for the rest of the year. Doubt that shooting keeps up but he looked like a real handful once he started being aggressive.

Dec 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
In his defence if (when) Zion does get injured everyone is going to go completely nuts at him if he has not dotted every i and crossed every t
That had the hallmark of being the greatest debut game anyone had seen

Clawed then back from the dead and was ready to explode and bring the roof down

That scenario there u cannot bring him off

Just moronic

Drumroe

Premiership Player
May 9, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Here is a bit of trivia for ya'll.

Anthony Davis debut at home to Spurs, had 21 points, 7 rebounds, 0 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 0 turnovers, 6-12 shooting in 29 minutes. Lost by 4 points

Zion Williamson debut at home to Spurs, had 22 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 0 steals, 0 blocks, 5 turnovers, 8-11 shooting in 18 minutes. Lost by 4 points.

I prefer this stat:
Zion Williamson is the first rookie to score 17 points in a quarter in their #NBA debut since the great Jake Layman

Weird, hardly any mention of Zion's debit on my Facebook and Twitter timelines. And ESPN haven't really hyped it as much as they should have.

Absolutely it's small market syndrome and/or pissed off/jilted Knicks fans that Zion didn't end up at New York.

I've seen it everywhere. With ESPN everyone bar LA will get little coverage.

May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, New Orleans Pels
George Hill? The guy averaging single figures? Has double figures once this calendar year.
Now I know you're trolling.
George Hill isn't in the top 25 of odds for 6th man betting. Tyus Jones is considered a better chance at $501
So no hes not a sneaky SMOTY candidate. He's not even on the radar.

You're way off base here.

George Hill has a TS% of 69%, an assist/TO ratio of 3.5/1 and a PER of 19, if you're wanting to compare with Rozier.

The Bucks' bench is phenomenal, and Hill has been the best of the bunch. Please don't tell me I'm trolling.

And what are Dinwiddie and VanVleets next contracts worth?
VanVleet on his last year of his contract and guarantee you he wont be accepting <$10m for his next one.
I'm willing to bet he will be on $15-17ish, on a team where he isnt the starting PG.

Far out Dante Exum is on $10m ffs.

Dinwiddie and VanVleet are both better players than Rozier.

You seem to be labouring under the misapprehension that $10 million buys you a minimum chips. It's not supposed to.

$19 million is more than one sixth of your salary cap. It's supposed to buy you an above average starter. On a good team, Rozier is your 7th best player, period.

However they are both non-starters with guys earning max ahead of them.
Although Toronto have been starting VV on occasion.
Also I'd argue Dinwiddie is very one dimensional.

Brooklyn is 8.6 points per 100 possessions better off with Dinwiddie on the floor.

Charlotte are 10..4 points per 100 better off with Rozier OFF the floor. I think I know who I'd rather. Incidentally, Devonte Graham tracks similar to Dinwiddie.

You guys are remembering Boston Rozier and clearly havent seen him play this season.

Rozier is still a ball-stopper who doesn't produce enough to justify that that tendency.

His shot selection and efficiency inside the arc is still a problem. His lack of court vision is still a problem, if he is as you insist a PG. His lack of defence is still a problem. And if he ever chucks another wobbly as he did in Boston, he'll become damn near unmovable.

Question: Find me a non-rookie contracted starter playing 30+ minutes a game at the level Rozier is (yes not superstar but very solid contributor) getting less than $10m a year

I'm willing to bet there are 0.

In fact I'm willing to bet theres no non-rookie contracted player playing 30+ minutes getting less than $10mil at all.

Oh, I'll take that bet.

Fred Vanvleet. Josh Richardson. Joe Harris. Bjelica. Holmes. Alec Burks. Dorian Finney-Smith. PJ Tucker. Jae Crowder.

Extend to $12 million - still far less than Rozier - and I'll throw in Smart, Dinwiddie, Warren, Lamb, Satoransky, Ingles, Melo, Hood, Nurkic (if healthy), Covington & Beverley.

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Q: Assuming Zion can somehow maintain a lot of his final quarter form vs The Spurs, and doesn't miss too many more games, does he win Rookie of The Year ?

Pesonally I say yes, but am not sure exactly what the clear cut criteria is on it.

No.

Ja Morant has been huge getting the Grizzlies into playoff contention.

Drumroe

Premiership Player
May 9, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
I think Detroit will offer FVV a similar contract to Roziers. Although I think the Raptors will be happy to match it.

May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, New Orleans Pels
I think Detroit will offer FVV a similar contract to Roziers. Although I think the Raptors will be happy to match it.

Will you have the cap room? I think you have roughly $100 million allocated to nine players for next season.

If Brogdon's worth $21 million and Rubio $17 million, I'd have VanVleet pegged in that $15-17 mil range. Rozier personally I'd have at $8-10 million.

The Pacers getting the Brogdon and Sabonis deals done for a combined $40 million was good business.

No.

Ja Morant has been huge getting the Grizzlies into playoff contention.

Correct. Morant would have to get injured or seriously drop off while Zion puts up big numbers and gets pelicans into the playoffs for it to happen. Plus I think even if he doesn't get injured Zion will be well managed for the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back