The Bigfooty Official Week 16 NBA Thread. The loss of Kobe Bryant - one week on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know mate. He better not miss games due to his hand after the All-Star game though.
Brown should've rested in all honesty against the bucks they were always going to lose why risk in the regular season. Post season fair enough.

I know the Houston Rockets owner doesn't want to pay the luxury tax but Daryl Morey must be looking at the Drummond trade and doing these ones:

Harden-Westbrook-Gordon-Covington-Tucker-Drummond would be a solid core of 6 for half a year of luxury tax. You could just play Harden-ball and have a beast rebounder in the paint, or you could play 4 capable perimeter shooters around Drummond, or you could play Russ/Drummond pick and roll and have Harden, Gordon, Covington just standing outside...

(I'm not sure if the rules allow/don't allow Drummond to be traded in)

I know the Houston Rockets owner doesn't want to pay the luxury tax but Daryl Morey must be looking at the Drummond trade and doing these ones:

Harden-Westbrook-Gordon-Covington-Tucker-Drummond would be a solid core of 6 for half a year of luxury tax. You could just play Harden-ball and have a beast rebounder in the paint, or you could play 4 capable perimeter shooters around Drummond, or you could play Russ/Drummond pick and roll and have Harden, Gordon, Covington just standing outside...

(I'm not sure if the rules allow/don't allow Drummond to be traded in)

They didn’t really have much to give up to match Drummonds salary in a trade.

Would’ve had to give up Capela as well as one of Gordon/Tucker

Could they have got Drummond and not Covington? Capela + Nene is roughly equivalent to Drummond in dollars.
two things here:

1. Detroit may not have wanted Capela's contract on the books while they are obviously going for a big big rebuild
2. Houston want spacing and a smaller line up which Covington provides and Drummond does not, whether thats gonna work we will see

Very interesting what they said about Butler and why he left Philly tonight, some long the lines "I'm not for everyone and everyone is not for me" with the implication that Philly don't work hard enough :think:

That's just Jimmy Butler. Even though no one particularly rated the roster, pundits were saying that Butler and Pat Riley/Erik Spoelstra at the Heat was a good match.

So far Butler has been vindicated about Minnesota and Philadelphia. How many of teams 1-5 in the East have better rosters than the 6th placed Sixers? The Sixers are level on wins with the Pacers who have been playing with 0 All Stars. Sabonis will make his first appearance this year and Oladipo is now back from injury. They should be better than they are and if Jimmy Butler says they aren't getting the best out of what they have I'm inclined to believe him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

two things here:

1. Detroit may not have wanted Capela's contract on the books while they are obviously going for a big big rebuild
2. Houston want spacing and a smaller line up which Covington provides and Drummond does not, whether thats gonna work we will see
Rockets definitely wouldnt want Drummond, exact same sort of player as Capela except on more money, worse defender and wants to play in the post more.

two things here:

Understandable. Would've required another team involved.

Personally I'm not a fan of the 'no centre' strategy. I definitely see the appeal of having another 3 & D player in the mix, but if it was my team I'd want to have at least someone 6'10''+ available. The Bucks have the Lopez brothers on $17m combined, the Lakers have McGee and Howard on peanuts, the Clippers have Zubac and Harrell (I can't believe he's only 6'7'' - looks like a monster) on $6m each. You might not be able to fit in a Love/Thompson/Steven Adams but even a Boban or Cauley-Stein would be handy IMO.

Is it possible Pistons actually turned down better offers to in order to send Drummond to a rubbish team to force him to walk to free agency? Rather than allow a good team to get him for not much and possibly re-sign him. Make sure it is a lose-lose situation for all parties rather than a win-win

Understandable. Would've required another team involved.

Personally I'm not a fan of the 'no centre' strategy. I definitely see the appeal of having another 3 & D player in the mix, but if it was my team I'd want to have at least someone 6'10''+ available. The Bucks have the Lopez brothers on $17m combined, the Lakers have McGee and Howard on peanuts, the Clippers have Zubac and Harrell (I can't believe he's only 6'7'' - looks like a monster) on $6m each. You might not be able to fit in a Love/Thompson/Steven Adams but even a Boban or Cauley-Stein would be handy IMO.
its certainly interesting. They feel spacing is more important for Harden than having a screen and roller. Obviously Harden can dribble past most people without a screen. On defense they'll opt for denying entry passes, play passing lanes and go for strips with long rangy defenders oppose to the traditional shot blocker big.

they also must feel confident in Westbrooks rebounding ability :p

two things here:

Looks like it's working 1 game in.
Funny thing it'll work if teams just try to play shot vs shot against them instead of bullying them in the paint.

Is it possible Pistons actually turned down better offers to in order to send Drummond to a rubbish team to force him to walk to free agency? Rather than allow a good team to get him for not much and possibly re-sign him. Make sure it is a lose-lose situation for all parties rather than a win-win
Dont think so, I just dont think the offers were there for a guy on an expiring with a player option that is too much.

I think there's a chance there may have been a slightly better offer, but we Gores wanted to do Gilbert a favour with both being so heavily invested in the city of Detroit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back