Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
What : Derby 49 ( 25 x 2 - 1 sounds good anyway )

When : Saturday night

Where : Telecommunications company I'm still dirty at 15 yrs later
Oval

Last time they played : Really ..... you need me to remind you what
happened , funnily enough there was a game
of footy played ....... wrong team won

Right off the bat let's get something straight , I'm not at all suited writing up a match preview the best ones are full of interesting stats , deep dive analysis of players and tactics , some nice bling with a few graphics and pictures and generally the writer can remember what happened on Tuesday just gone ....... but here we are

Why we can win

In my opinion we have to wind the clock back to have a chance in this game and make no mistake we do have a chance...slight maybe but it's there all the same

Let's face it the Eagles have been walking around with their heads up their ass all week after a big stardust sprinkled win against the Pies at the G in prime time last week. Perfect ambush territory , jump them early and trust our coach to turn it into a Sh*tfight for the rest of the game while the rabid porkchops in the crowd boo themselves stupider if that's possible

Personally I don't trust the coach to do much but engineering a sh*tfight might be within his capabilities... just

Andrew GAGF , can't really do a preview without mentioning it but we would be well served to forget about the POS and focus on ourselves , we've pulled the right reign I think by going small because it's our only hope really , we have a punchers chance but when your fighting a classier opponent you need to land hard early and see how keen they are when the camera's aren't clicking and everything's not going their way

Freo to shock the world and win by 3 pts

PS : my innovative tactic for McGovern is to place a bucket of KFC out near the 50m line

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Liked it except the part which implied they were classier than us. Not that mob. Never!

you might not think that you're suited to it but you have given great effort tonygeeks. Telecommunications company I'm still dirty at 15 yrs later Oval will stay with me forever

I don't think we care if it's kept refrigerated. If anyone is turning up to the game, now is the time to buy the kfc, just wrap it up in a tissue and keep it in your pockets for the next 2 days before throwing it on the field.

Good changes. It looks like we’re throwing caution to the wind and going for an attack at all costs strategy. I am very keen for us to play attacking footy, but if we turn it into a shootout without nullifying Yeo or Gaff we'll be killed on the spread more than we killed north. Not sure what matchups work the best on those two (I thought Banfield could’ve gone to Yeo) but maybe Tucker to wear Yeo like a glove (similar to what he did to Fyfe) and just mitigate his influence. Hughes could take him would need to hurt him the other way which I’m just not sure he could do. Definitely has the size and aerobic capability though. Gaff, not to sure, as much as I hate the coward puncher, he’s a brilliant and smart footy player so not entirely sure. I'd let Brayshaw go head to head with Shuey, he'd probably get towelled up but it would teach him about running patterns, positioning etc. Plus he'd get a few wins in the clinches which would be good for his confidence. Plus Shuey would have to play somewhat accountable.

Eagles are very good two-way runners so going to be hard to keep them all out of the game and pop up. Their structures hold well (similar to our 2012-15) and force the long-bomb to Mgov or Barrass. Tabs and Lobb will need to clunk a lot of marks and stretch their defence thin, allowing our fleet of smalls to capitalise. Hogan will probably benefit from slick ball movement, but will be murdered if we allow him to be triple teamed one out with a pressured kick inside 50. A lot of their ball movement comes from Shepard and Hurn, so making them accountable without time will go a long way to getting the win. If we hit up leads and allow the ball to remain pressured on their kicks out of defence we could force them to play at our structures.

Pearce and Hamling are brilliant defenders and will take Darling and Kennedy. Hamling probably to take Kennedy as he has the ability to spoil and run off his man but needs to be aware that JK’s strength is running off his man when Darling gets picked off and visa-versa. A lot of goals we’ve conceded the first 3 rounds have come from 2 going up and the opposition forwards lapping up spills. Expecting Ryan or Pearce to be our best as I’m sure they’ll see plenty of the ball down their end. Ryan will need to emulate last weeks efforts if we’re a chance and Wilson needs to bring that run and carry we saw last year that’s currently a distant memory.

Highly unlikely and a lot has to go right, but if we can get it right, an upset may happen.

This is the ideal forward line we should be running with for most of the season. Taberner/Lobb and Hogan as the talls, McCarthy as the medium, Switta, Matera and Schultz/Colyer as the smalls. Been impressed by Colyer so far this season, probably our best recruit so far to be honest.

This is the ideal forward line we should be running with for most of the season. Taberner/Lobb and Hogan as the talls, McCarthy as the medium, Switta, Matera and Schultz/Colyer as the smalls. Been impressed by Colyer so far this season, probably our best recruit so far to be honest.
It’s a good mix. Means the smallls should be moping up the crumbs that come from the talls etc.

I don't think we care if it's kept refrigerated. If anyone is turning up to the game, now is the time to buy the kfc, just wrap it up in a tissue and keep it in your pockets for the next 2 days before throwing it on the field.

Haha you might be on to something tape the KFC under our mids and backmen’s jumpers to draw Gov out of D50

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I reckon he's been good, but Conca is our best recruit for mine. Seriously had doubts on him but really brings the grunt and has actually pretty decent disposal considering that was one of his big knocks coming here.

Collingwood are very average , WC,s win nothing to write home about.
I,m crying tears of blood every time Naughton takes another big grab. Still really disappointed we didnt grab him when he was under our nose at Peel. The kids a champ. Must be best of his draft year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really hope you're right mate. I think this game has percentage booster written all over it. No Fyfe and Darcy. Forwards still a work in progress, our two inclusions have played less than 10 games combined. Our midfield will understandably struggle, allowing for easy inside 50 entries. We'll bomb it long, they will intercept everything, go down the other end and hit a leading forward in space. Can see Allen having a good game and them winning by plenty unfortunately.
Reckon we’ll got at it like the Bulldogs tonight. I highly doubt we’ll hang in as long as them though.

Good changes. It looks like we’re throwing caution to the wind and going for an attack at all costs strategy. I am very keen for us to play attacking footy, but if we turn it into a shootout without nullifying Yeo or Gaff we'll be killed on the spread more than we killed north. Not sure what matchups work the best on those two (I thought Banfield could’ve gone to Yeo) but maybe Tucker to wear Yeo like a glove (similar to what he did to Fyfe) and just mitigate his influence. Hughes could take him would need to hurt him the other way which I’m just not sure he could do. Definitely has the size and aerobic capability though. Gaff, not to sure, as much as I hate the coward puncher, he’s a brilliant and smart footy player so not entirely sure. I'd let Brayshaw go head to head with Shuey, he'd probably get towelled up but it would teach him about running patterns, positioning etc. Plus he'd get a few wins in the clinches which would be good for his confidence. Plus Shuey would have to play somewhat accountable.

Eagles are very good two-way runners so going to be hard to keep them all out of the game and pop up. Their structures hold well (similar to our 2012-15) and force the long-bomb to Mgov or Barrass. Tabs and Lobb will need to clunk a lot of marks and stretch their defence thin, allowing our fleet of smalls to capitalise. Hogan will probably benefit from slick ball movement, but will be murdered if we allow him to be triple teamed one out with a pressured kick inside 50. A lot of their ball movement comes from Shepard and Hurn, so making them accountable without time will go a long way to getting the win. If we hit up leads and allow the ball to remain pressured on their kicks out of defence we could force them to play at our structures.

Pearce and Hamling are brilliant defenders and will take Darling and Kennedy. Hamling probably to take Kennedy as he has the ability to spoil and run off his man but needs to be aware that JK’s strength is running off his man when Darling gets picked off and visa-versa. A lot of goals we’ve conceded the first 3 rounds have come from 2 going up and the opposition forwards lapping up spills. Expecting Ryan or Pearce to be our best as I’m sure they’ll see plenty of the ball down their end. Ryan will need to emulate last weeks efforts if we’re a chance and Wilson needs to bring that run and carry we saw last year that’s currently a distant memory.

Highly unlikely and a lot has to go right, but if we can get it right, an upset may happen.
Agree with this and hope Banfield is brought back to play in the middle like last year.

Freo in an upset win.

Saw Ballantyne at Jb-Hifi yesterday and he was in fairly good spirits. Asked him how Freo'd go without him for a Derby and he was pretty confident - 'we might actually get up for this one' .

Asked him when he'd be back and he said hopefully for the Bulldogs, but laughed and said the kids might keep him out (assuming he means Switowski or Schultz).

Wasn't confident before but it seemed like a good omen.

Freo by 4pts.

Could the press be any more gushing about those cretins up the roads?
Makes me sick
Andrew Gaff can go suck a bag of skin for all I care, anybody would think he was the victim in all this
I tried removing the hate from my footy self during last years finals just so I could enjoy the footy, it worked then
But it’s back now in full swing
Cmon boys
Freo by 9

Reckon we'll compete and it'll be closer than many think but we'll end up losing by about 3 goals. Just have to be a bit smarter entering 50. If we bomb it in long (regardless of how quickly we do it) we'll be slaughtered.

After the Giants/Cats result, I believe a win takes us to the top of the ladder if I'm doing my maths right?

Agree with everyone on the changes - first time in a while we're going in with a structure that'll force McGovern and Hurn to be somewhat accountable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back