The Birch - IMO our most underrated player

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 1, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton FC
This guy rarely gets spoken about like our other champs, he is a Hawthorn champ and I see so often on this board the lack of recognition and love for his performances every week and every year. He is ultra consistent and as reliable as they come.

I see criticism of him as being tagged out of it sometimes, which I must say rarely happens throughout a season. It's noticeable because usually when we lose a game, the opposition stop this guy, which shows how vital and important he is. Yet when we win, he rarely gets spoken about as being one of the reasons why we won and how good he is.

Birchall has just come 2nd in our BnF, this follows a 3rd (2011) another 3rd (2012) and a 7th (2013) when he missed 7 or 8 games with injury. The coaches clearly know how great this guy is and I just feel he is underappreciated by a lot of supporters.

I laughed at some of the suggestions by some posters earlier in the year when discussing potential trades and how to replenish our midfield. Birchall's name came up a few times as a way of getting a Shiel type. Hawthorn would laugh at a team like GWS for suggesting Birchall as a trade option. You don't trade a champ and you don't trade someone who is clearly loved by all within the club and by the way you don't trade the best half-back flanker in the league who sets up so many of our plays and who's efficiency is ridiculous. One poster in particular who posts frequently on here and someone who is quite respected labelled Birchall as overrated which I just can't fathom, especially knowing what he actually brings to our side and what the coaches think of him.

Rant over, just wanted to give some support and love to one of our most underrated champions. Love ya Birchall, I hope you play to 300 games and win another couple of flags!!

He's like the whole team, just happy to get on with his job with minimal fanfare, do it ridiculously well, and win multiple flags.

But yes, creative, tough, skilful, fast and vitally important to our team. Love the Birch.

not as underrated as you may think, I remember for few times opposition coaches use taggers to shut him down...His skills in taking the footy out of defense and putting it firmly on the hands of our forwards is treat to watch....

Best half-back in the competition.

He's a brilliant kick and great decision maker. When opposition teams try to tag him out of the game you know not only how highly regarded he is amongst the coaching circles, but how vital he is to our style of play.

And unfortunately when it works (the tagging) we struggle to generate movement from our back-line.

People may not realise just how god-damn consistent he's been since he was drafted back in '05... He really has not missed a beat throughout his career. Long may it continue!

He's like the whole team, just happy to get on with his job with minimal fanfare, do it ridiculously well, and win multiple flags.

But yes, creative, tough, skilful, fast and vitally important to our team. Love the Birch.

Say that again. :p

I love the Birch. I think the reason he sometimes goes under the radar is that he almost never makes an error with the ball. When he gets it, he uses it well. I think he played a 30 touch game at 100% efficiency earlier this year. He isn't really flashy, he just gets it done. He's the sort of player that commentators can hardly mention all afternoon and then you look at the stat sheet and he has had it 25 times. I've always loved him because he is Tasmanian, so I notice him, and appreciate the great work he does.

Coming second in the BnF is a well deserved accolade for a great player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Similar types but Birchall much more composed under pressure

And Birchall much more physical - love him. Hawks are littered with massively underrated players. I loved the San Antonio Spurs reference & video in Hodge's speech from the B&F. Apparently Clarko used it pre-game GF day. Hearing Magic Johnson talk about team is exactly what the Hawks are about.

He holds our backline together through he's consistency because we know what we are going to get from him every week, hes my favorite player.

Hands down my favourite player. All things going well he could be an all time club legend. 300 games and 5 flags anyone?

What an unbelievable trade that was for Jonathan hay? Got us birchall and max bailey. 4 flags between them! And birchall likely to play at his very high level, including being a hardened big game player, for another 5-6 years!
You would only trade him if you had been lobotomised...

I always feel if he moved to the midfield he would be one of the best in the league. He is just too good at hbf to be moved though aha
That move has been mentioned a couple of times on here.
I reckon he would lose his sheet in the midfield and spend most of the season suspended. :D

Plus I don't think his strengths would transfer as well to mid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back