Toast The Birth of the Adelaide Crows (video)

Remove this Banner Ad

the picture suggest they were born as the result of a having a sleazy father (Norwood) and a slutty mother (port). The pair did not want to merge.

• Banned
What I found most interesting was the fall in crowds that the SANFL had experienced between 1974 and 1990. I was 15 in 1991 and at the time I could never understand why an SA team wasn't in the VFL/AFL sooner and on one hand I could understand why Basheer/Whicker were protective of the SANFL's long-term prosperity. I admire Bruce Weber though for having the balls and foresight to do what he felt was in the PAFC's best interests

What I found most interesting was the fall in crowds that the SANFL had experienced between 1974 and 1990. I was 15 in 1991 and at the time I could never understand why an SA team wasn't in the VFL/AFL sooner and on one hand I could understand why Basheer/Whicker were protective of the SANFL's long-term prosperity. I admire Bruce Weber though for having the balls and foresight to do what he felt was in the PAFC's best interests

Bruce Webber was the fall guy. The board of the Port Adelaide Football club had already decided to advance with talks with the AFL/VFL well before the SANFL commission voted to stay united.

Bruce Webber was the fall guy. The board of the Port Adelaide Football club had already decided to advance with talks with the AFL/VFL well before the SANFL commission voted to stay united.

Yeah the internal politics of this whole period is fascinating to me. I suspect a similar set of circumstances occurred in the WAFL before the West Coast Eagles went in, although I believe that they didn't own the WCE's licence?

I remember South and Sturt were close to merging in the late 80s - I wonder how much this influenced the presidents of both clubs (and the other clubs) to vote no initially to entering a composite site in the AFL.

A Port/Norwood merger proposition rightfully died in the arse as soon as it was put forward. What a mutant club this would have been if it went ahead

I remember South and Sturt were close to merging in the late 80s - I wonder how much this influenced the presidents of both clubs (and the other clubs) to vote no initially to entering a composite site in the AFL.
Probably should have happened. Irrelevant now

Port/Norwood merger proposition rightfully died in the arse as soon as it was put forward. What a mutant club this would have been if it went ahead
Cannot believe this was ever discussed seriously. Massive flogs

A Port / Norwood merge would never have worked. That would have become a football disaster.

I think had the SANFL allowed the Port Adelaide Football club to entre a club in the AFL in 1991, they would have been relatively sucessful. Without the negative public relations (all justified) from the SANFL and media, they would have seen 25,000-30,000 turn up. On par with the big Victorian club at the time.

However, the creation of the composite SA side was the correct decision and that brought the entire football state together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A Port / Norwood merge would never have worked. That would have become a football disaster.

I think had the SANFL allowed the Port Adelaide Football club to entre a club in the AFL in 1991, they would have been relatively sucessful. Without the negative public relations (all justified) from the SANFL and media, they would have seen 25,000-30,000 turn up. On par with the big Victorian club at the time.

However, the creation of the composite SA side was the correct decision and that brought the entire football state together.

Apart from the disenfranchisement from both sets of supporters and the geographical mismatch, what would the colours or nickname have even been? Port Adelaide Paraders? Port Redlegs? Ugh.

Apart from the disenfranchisement from both sets of supporters and the geographical mismatch, what would the colours or nickname have even been? Port Adelaide Paraders? Port Redlegs? Ugh.

Adelaide Crows. :$

I'm pretty sure the SANFL put forward the Adelaide Football club as early as 1982, Max Basheer got a standing ovation from the VFL board members for his proposal, however the Victorian's shat the bed at the fear of a super club and preferred pillage the SANFL of its best players so in future the Adelaide Football club would have a thinner field of players to choose from. Graham Cornes in a recent interview was scathing of the AFL limitation of our ability to recruit players when we were being put together.

Last edited:
Yeah the internal politics of this whole period is fascinating to me. I suspect a similar set of circumstances occurred in the WAFL before the West Coast Eagles went in, although I believe that they didn't own the WCE's licence?

A Port/Norwood merger proposition rightfully died in the arse as soon as it was put forward. What a mutant club this would have been if it went ahead
The black n’ white and red all over legs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back