saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
At the moment theirs only about 280 registered tiny homes in Aust. With all the publicity they get the majority would assume the numbers would be 10 times that.
You can buy for as little as 50k, or make one for 20k, so imagine as you say state governments de- regulate and councils supported individual substainable living the possitive impact it would have on affordable housing for all, and that includes relaxing the regulations for small backyard units/granny flats.

Over in the US theirs a few states that have "rent your backyard" schemes, where the regulations are relaxed and you can rent a section of your backyard for anyone to put a THOW or pod. In Australia that would be awesome, especially for single women in their 50s who make up the largest demographic for people living in THOWs or caravans.

The company I work for is one of 12 builders that has been appointed to this panel;

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
I can't feel sorry for Tess & Luke, Scotty and others have been warning them from week one about overspending on trades and telling them both have to do more work on site to save money, but they just ignored it. Luke has to be one of the laziest trady contestants I've seen on the block. They brought this on themselves really. Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
It is very easy for some to sit back here with hindsight and say "how dumb they are" "how lazy they are" but we are seeing 4.5 hours a week of edited footage on a reality show.

No doubt they have done things wrong, and if they had there time again would do things differently but how do you prepare for the block. Some like mitch and mark have had a lifetime of renovating even then it gives you knowledge but not the experience of doing such a big rennovation on national TV.

I could easily see how in the pressure of the moment you just get things done and think about the costs later, not saying that is the right way but that is what happens under the pressure of deadlines.

Matt and Elise are only about $10-12k infront of Luke and Tess and no one is really questioning their abilities.

In regards to Luke, he is just a chippy not a builder, there is a difference. He is probably use to working on peoples homes doing deck's and pergolas and can come and go as he pleases and work at his own pace. There is a big difference between that and being a builder on the block.

I can't feel sorry for Tess & Luke, Scotty and others have been warning them from week one about overspending on trades and telling them both have to do more work on site to save money, but they just ignored it. Luke has to be one of the laziest trady contestants I've seen on the block. They brought this on themselves really. Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Oh yeah no sympathy re budget- i know it would be tough not winning challenges and not getting extra cash, but thats what you signed up for- tough luck.

You gotta have a brain to do this imho- really good with planning/organisation etc.

*actually that is one thing id kick arse at on the Block- being organised af and good with money. Id be a good PM imho. Nothing else tho really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
It is very easy for some to sit back here with hindsight and say "how dumb they are" "how lazy they are" but we are seeing 4.5 hours a week of edited footage on a reality show.
I'm not saying they're dumb, but Scotty and others have been telling them from week one to do more work themselves and watch their budget and they chose to ignore it. For example, they'd have their two main builders there on a Monday while they planned their next room nearly every week getting paid for standing around and doing nothing but chit chat. What's happened to Tess & Luke is not new when it comes to owner builders who chew through their budget because they lack experience, which leads to poor decisions (they even make TV shows about them).

But when Scotty, Shelley, Keith, Dan, the suncorp woman, and the judges have been telling you what to do and you ignore it and carry on regardless, then that's your own fault.

Last edited:

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
I'm not saying they're dumb, but Scotty and others have been telling them from week one to do more work themselves and watch their budget and they chose to ignore it. For example, they'd have their two main builders there on a Monday while they planned their next room nearly every week getting paid for standing around and doing nothing but chit chat. What's happened to Tess & Luke is not new when it comes to owner builders who chew through their budget because they lack experience, which leads to poor decisions (they even make TV shows about them).

But when Scotty, Shelley, Keith, Dan, the suncorp woman, and the judges have been telling you what to do and you ignore it and carry on regardless, then that's your own fault.

Don't disagree at all, Luke even if he isnt a great chippy still more capable than your average joe. All they needed was one builder and a capable chippy.

Matt ran with that set up but i think El'ise likes to spend on styling.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
This is the first season I can remember where Scotty right from the begining has emphasised how tight this year will be with money, its an obvious dramatic production tactic.
All the teams are stressing, but extra cash keeps coming, 40k in kitchen week, 20k bathroom week, mccafe keeps giving 6k, highpages give each a free weeks work.
And where did this new ruling come from that only one team has to finish so they can go to auction?

Its all good fun manufactured drama, and I would bet anything every home will be 100% complete by the day of the auction.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond

No doubt they have done things wrong, and if they had there time again would do things differently but how do you prepare for the block. Some like mitch and mark have had a lifetime of renovating even then it gives you knowledge but not the experience of doing such a big rennovation on national TV.

I could easily see how in the pressure of the moment you just get things done and think about the costs later, not saying that is the right way but that is what happens under the pressure of deadlines.

Matt and Elise are only about $10-12k infront of Luke and Tess and no one is really questioning their abilities.

In regards to Luke, he is just a chippy not a builder, there is a difference. He is probably use to working on peoples homes doing deck's and pergolas and can come and go as he pleases and work at his own pace. There is a big difference between that and being a builder on the block.
Spot on, and apart from the normal crazy pressure, no home renovaters like Mitch & Mark and others in the past have had daily rules and regulations, literally hundreds of people on site to navigate through, being miked up and filmed throughout the week, a day off site in the middle of a busy week for a challenge, all with a producer using varying tactics to manipulate drama.
I think they do a remarkable job.

Spot on, and apart from the normal crazy pressure, no home renovaters like Mitch & Mark and others in the past have had daily rules and regulations, literally hundreds of people on site to navigate through, being miked up and filmed throughout the week, a day off site in the middle of a busy week for a challenge, all with a producer using varying tactics to manipulate drama.
I think they do a remarkable job.

And on very little sleep.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Back