KAYNE

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2007
Big White
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Melbourne
Harry and Tash's the best for me. Luke and Jasmin second.

Jimmy and Tam's was very vanilla.

Yeah that is how my wife and I had it. Didn't like Sarah and Georges at all. The brick work looked terrible with that house. Think the Dave Franklin factor kicked in a bit with there house and they were due for a win. Jimmy and Tams was as boring as the couple themselves. It was ugly and no way would I want to spend anytime in that yard at all.

KAYNE

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2007
Big White
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Melbourne
Next season.

Bronte court
Number 8 is buyer advocate Nicole Jacobs place. Sold it to them for 3.025mil.
10 up the drive is a vacant lot

View attachment 1000282

The other three

View attachment 1000287

View attachment 1000288

Nicole Jacobs house looks amazing now it has finished. Had no idea why she sold it as it looked so good. Now the sale price is known I can see why.

To the right of her place is one house that has not sold and will be living through the process. Spoke to her on the weekend as she had stuff out for trick or treating. She didn't get offered anywhere near what Nicole was offered and they had recently renovated the house themselves.

BuddysBiggestFan

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2008
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
A front yard covered in Dromana dust. It is the ugliest front yard ever on The Block. I have that s**t down the side of my house.

Even the judges say the house is niche yet they get 10s and win front yard week.

The show is rigged beyond belief. Hoping this couple comes last or don’t sell their property at all.

Apr 10, 2005
Perth WA
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
East Freo
A front yard covered in Dromana dust. It is the ugliest front yard ever on The Block. I have that sh*t down the side of my house.

Even the judges say the house is niche yet they get 10s and win front yard week.

The show is rigged beyond belief. Hoping this couple comes last or don’t sell their property at all.

Would love to sit out on the front porch and watch the kids roll around with the cactus’s and rocks, will also be bloody hot in summer.

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Would love to sit out on the front porch and watch the kids roll around with the cactus’s and rocks, will also be bloody hot in summer.
Its obvious J&T is not going for the family with young kids market for their house like the other houses. They are looking at a niche market, most likely someone who likes the 50's vibe, and if they do have kids most likely older teens who won't be playing in the yard anyway. Their house is not a little kids' house. Besides, you are yet to see what the yards out the back will be yet.

Last edited:

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Poor old Jimmy being picked on, wah.....he 100% has had the house with less work required, does that make it easier maybe. I will give them credit they do run a good program but also helps when you don't lose your first day to straightening walls.

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
I think all the contestants have reached that stage in a build where everything is getting to them and they need to rally to push through to the end. This happens in home renovations and new owner-builds often. There's a low point just before the end.

I don't think any of the builds have been easy, but H5 had an advantage and that's why they all wanted it at the start. J&T won the first challenge and that let them pick out of the houses first.

I do think Harry's difficulties have been mostly brought on himself through his poor project management and planning, that's not Jimmy's fault. Just because J&T has done a good job overall doesn't mean it was easier, it just means they were better at it than Harry. Winning also helped them as they've never had the budget issues the other houses have had. Again, that's not J&T's fault, the other teams should've done better. This is a competition after all.

I thought Harry's comments were sour grapes. Although, I do think Jimmy overreacted to them. But these guys are always tired and emotional at this point in the show.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
I think all the contestants have reached that stage in a build where everything is getting to them and they need to rally to push through to the end. This happens in home renovations and new owner-builds often. There's a low point just before the end.

I don't think any of the builds have been easy, but H5 had an advantage and that's why they all wanted it at the start. J&T won the first challenge and that let them pick out of the houses first.

I do think Harry's difficulties have been mostly brought on himself through his poor project management and planning, that's not Jimmy's fault. Just because J&T has done a good job overall doesn't mean it was easier, it just means they were better at it than Harry. Winning also helped them as they've never had the budget issues the other houses have had. Again, that's not J&T's fault, the other teams should've done better. This is a competition after all.

I thought Harry's comments were sour grapes. Although, I do think Jimmy overreacted to them. But these guys are always tired and emotional at this point in the show.
There were definitely rooms they shouldn't have won so that comment is a cop out.

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
There were definitely rooms they shouldn't have won so that comment is a cop out.
Rooms they shouldn't have won according to your opinion, which is your right to hold. But the Judges chose otherwise, and they also had the gnome a couple of times and that's fair in the competition. There's tall poppy syndrome at work here. J&T, whether you like it or not, have played The Block game better than everyone else. I really like their house, but I do think Harry & Tash's house just might win and have the final laugh because it is in a good position (North facing), and the interior design will have broader appeal.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
The gnome is fair game, not disputing that.

But not sure how they won the front yard, for whatever reason it seems they can do no wrong in your eyes. Some rooms they have deserved, other decisions have been laughable.

You'd be the only person who would say they deserved the front yard win.

KAYNE

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2007
Big White
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Melbourne
Georges and Sarah were streets ahead of everyone elses. Again Jimmy and Tams were over rated. example 2 houses had TVs in the same corner, one has they said it looked bad and one they never mentioned.

The backyards are tiny with not a lot of sun for the pools etc. Not sure they needed the big garages at all.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Georges and Sarah were streets ahead of everyone elses. Again Jimmy and Tams were over rated. example 2 houses had TVs in the same corner, one has they said it looked bad and one they never mentioned.

The backyards are tiny with not a lot of sun for the pools etc. Not sure they needed the big garages at all.

Because a garage (off street parking) is worth more than a lawn and garden area.

KAYNE

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2007
Big White
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Melbourne
Because a garage (off street parking) is worth more than a lawn and garden area.

I know ideally in the area these are underground but due to cost would not have been able to do this. Just not sure they needed to be 2 story and so big. Could've been 1 level pool house type instead. I hope no one uses real grass as that will die very quickly! Most likely already has.

Not sure why no one went for the full office set up or even a man cave type set up for upstairs. Just something a bit different.

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Don't forget, the lane behind the garages will be only accessed by the residents via a security gate, so that is potentially another area kids could do stuff like kick a footy or play backyard cricket.

The double car garage is a must as people at this price point will probably have two cars. The upstairs area as a study for working from home or as a small appt for a nanny, au pair, or visiting relatives/friends is also worth it IMO.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Don't forget, the lane behind the garages will be only accessed by the residents via a security gate, so that is potentially another area kids could do stuff like kick a footy or play backyard cricket.

The double car garage is a must as people at this price point will probably have two cars. The upstairs area as a study for working from home or as a small appt for a nanny, au pair, or visiting relatives/friends is also worth it IMO.

I think setting the space up for opening living/study area with the option of a fold out bed was a much better idea than a fixed bed.

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
I think setting the space up for opening living/study area with the option of a fold out bed was a much better idea than a fixed bed.
You can always take the bed out if you want to use it solely as an office or anything else, I suppose. But the fold-out bed gives you that option. Personally, I wouldn't have built-in a desk but just make the space so you can use it for anything. You can always buy a desk to put in there if that's what you want to use if for. I'd rather do it that way than having something locked in like that.

I thought some of the others (who didn't finish) really didn't think through that space very well.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
It always annoys me on this show when the contestants try to screw and negotiate the bills down with trades on the show. Clearly they can't overcharge but there is plenty of money tied up with this show.

Tam crying in the show deliberately on camera wasn't fair on the trade, also at the end of the show they will most likely walk away with hundreds of thousands of winnings so don't cry with a hard luck story.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
It always annoys me on this show when the contestants try to screw and negotiate the bills down with trades on the show. Clearly they can't overcharge but there is plenty of money tied up with this show.

Tam crying in the show deliberately on camera wasn't fair on the trade, also at the end of the show they will most likely walk away with hundreds of thousands of winnings so don't cry with a hard luck story.

Did you mean CAN overcharge?

Also pretty sure you mean Jasmine who was getting teary when talking to the plasterer.

It's the nature of the game, a tight non realistic budget and timeline in order to create drama for a TV show.

Back