Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Tam wasn't crying about anything. I think you mean Jasmine was crying about her plasterer's bill. Please, the bias against J&T on this board has grown laughable.

Tall poppy syndrome what?

Yep, sorry I have actually watched the whole series and can't get the name right.

I get he overcharged compared to the others but begging him to bring his price down because she has sacrificed so much was overboard given the wastage on the show. Like I said she is almost guaranteed to win hundreds of thousands of dollars. The tradie still has to run his business.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Tam wasn't crying about anything. I think you mean Jasmine was crying about her plasterer's bill. Please, the bias against J&T on this board has grown laughable.

Tall poppy syndrome what?

Maybe a bit of hate, maybe a bit of truth in what some are saying......could argue you are just biased....?

Their style is different, its resonated with the judges maybe not so much with the fans. Their is a little big of smugness in their winning but good on them.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Yep, sorry I have actually watched the whole series and can't get the name right.

I get he overcharged compared to the others but begging him to bring his price down because she has sacrificed so much was overboard given the wastage on the show. Like I said she is almost guaranteed to win hundreds of thousands of dollars. The tradie still has to run his business.
Tradies go into this knowing its not a normal build and the money will initially be hit or miss, but this is a show that also kicks their business profile on after the season is over.

Wouldn't be concerned one bit about the tradies and businesses , they do ok out of it.

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
I did think Jasmine had a point. They charged $17,000 and didn't even finish when all the other houses paid like $10-12,000. They were overcharged IMO. I bet if this wasn't on TV that drywaller wouldn't have dropped $2000 off the price at all. He would've demanded all of it, maybe even said they won't finish until it's paid.

A woman cracking the tears to get her way, well that's not a new trick.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
I did think Jasmine had a point. They charged $17,000 and didn't even finish when all the other houses paid like $10-12,000. They were overcharged IMO. I bet if this wasn't on TV that drywaller wouldn't have dropped $2000 off the price at all. He would've demanded all of it, maybe even said they won't finish until it's paid.

A woman cracking the tears to get her way, well that's not a new trick.

In the real world, you'd get a fixed quote based on the scope of works. The block isn't the real world.

I wouldn't pay them anything until it was finished or only released a progress payment, as the client you want to have the balance of power. You want to have enough up your sleeve the outstanding payment is greater than the value of unfinished work.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
There were a few doors and hatches and cupboards in those sheds and that seemingly went nowhere, interested to know what the go is with them.

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
In the real world, you'd get a fixed quote based on the scope of works.
That's true. But many a tradesman has tried to get more than they originally quoted, and the cowboy builders use all kinds of underhanded tricks to get your money. The Block is different only because they do one area a week, they can't plan ahead. In a real build, any trade would quote for the whole build.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
So many times they’ve highlighted that these tradies charge $110 per hour.

My ******* ass they charge this much.

that particular day was brickies on a Saturday plus that is what the clever editing people think not what they actually get paid

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
I can't argue with the judges tonight. House 2 & House 4 were the best ones. It's been so good seeing Sarah & George powering home the way they have. Having Dave Franklin helped too. I can't believe the season is nearly over. Feels like it went quickly.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
George and Sarah were very deserving winners last night.As mentioned before the show and judges let themselves down by giving 10/10 to backyards which looked far from perfect.

Jimmy and Tam were deserving winners overall. Not that it matters but I think overall they deserved to win by more than they did but again that is a reflection of the judges giving mostly 8-10 to everyone no matter what they delivered.

I think everyone got a lot of help in the last few weeks with defects and cleaning just to get the series over the line.

I think overall they were the best group of contestants in a while, I think everyone worked hard. It is hard to pick a winner, I even think Harry and Tash's House has a fair bit going for it. Regardless I am sure they will make sure everyone wins hundreds of thousands of dollars each so it won't really matter who wins.

Last edited:

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Yeah, I think if I was looking at the 5 houses from the perspective of buying one, Harry & Tash's appeals the most to me too.

I agree, I thought the judges were wrong in criticising two things last night

1) Harry and Tash had to have a wall where they did for security and privacy. You could argue a fence with a gate may have been better but they needed something.

2) Commenting how good it was that there was no cover in the outdoor area in I think Luke and Jasmine's house? What world are they living in? If you don't get sunburnt you will get wet for ten months of the year.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America

1) Harry and Tash had to have a wall where they did for security and privacy. You could argue a fence with a gate may have been better but they needed something.

2) Commenting how good it was that there was no cover in the outdoor area in I think Luke and Jasmine's house? What world are they living in? If you don't get sunburnt you will get wet for ten months of the year.
Luke and Jas backyard the worst.

I like the (forced) minimalist of Harry and Tash. A good layout.

But Luke and Jas.

That aluminium/fake wood curve seat. How is that comfy? It would be hot in summer and that area had no screening from next door.

Then over engineered pizza oven, contrast with the "mitre 10" special BBQ.

No under cover area.

And overall it was too busy.

George and Sarah, a classy Mediterranean courtyard style back yard with a superb bbq/pizza

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Sep 11, 2006
MCG
AFL Club
Collingwood

Agreed.

Would have looked ridiculous if Harry and Tash didn't have a fence separating the front and back. Nobody wants people being able to see into their backyard from the street.

Thinking no cover for an outdoor area in Melbourne is a good idea is having s**t for brains.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Agreed.

Would have looked ridiculous if Harry and Tash didn't have a fence separating the front and back. Nobody wants people being able to see into their backyard from the street.

Thinking no cover for an outdoor area in Melbourne is a good idea is having sh*t for brains.
They would have got ******* slammed if they had nothing there too.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
is the bl-auction this weekend? whose everyones tip? And how much does the winner make? (without the additional $100k for winning) Anyone not make money (or give me the lowest winning amount)

Winner: George & Sarah - $540,000
Loser: Daniel & Jade - $120,000

Order:
George & Sarah
Harry & Tash
Jimmy & Tam - due to their kitchen price of over $250,000
Luke & Jasmine
Daniel & Jade

Anyone else notice the massive cleared out area used as a car park for the all the tradies in an episode last week? Im presuming Ch.9 will build another house there to make more money on

Sep 11, 2006
MCG
AFL Club
Collingwood
is the bl-auction this weekend? whose everyones tip? And how much does the winner make? (without the additional $100k for winning) Anyone not make money (or give me the lowest winning amount)

Winner: George & Sarah - $540,000
Loser: Daniel & Jade - $120,000

Order:
George & Sarah
Harry & Tash
Jimmy & Tam - due to their kitchen price of over $250,000
Luke & Jasmine
Daniel & Jade

Anyone else notice the massive cleared out area used as a car park for the all the tradies in an episode last week? Im presuming Ch.9 will build another house there to make more money on

Where is this?

Having popped past a few times the only space is the laneway at the back only accessible to the homeowners.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Where is this?

Having popped past a few times the only space is the laneway at the back only accessible to the homeowners.

Was the first time i saw it on an episode the other day. Was heaps of cars parked on a cleared out site - maybe its down the road but presumed it was an empty block ch.9 purchased and used for car parking etc. Pretty sure they often have an extra block to sell themselves and make shitloads on.

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
As Rod Stewart sang, "Tonight's the night..."

My tips:
1. H2 -I think in the end they did a fantastic job. The kitchen cabinets need lowering though.
2. H1 - Probably the best location on the block, but I'd worry about all the dodgy building that went on here. Front & Back yards will need fixing.
3. H5 - This is for the niche buyer who likes the style of the house, plus $250G of Gaggenau appliances in the kitchen will be a drawcard. Best built house IMO.
4. H4 - Hits and misses in this house, and plenty of dodgy building through the series is a worry.
5. H3 - They had some good rooms, but overall a bit boring and safe. So they'll probably win-LOL.

Back