Who will win The Block 2022

• H3: Sharon & Ankur

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • H4: Dylan & Jenny

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

What are the rules on being able to pass a property in?

Are you just able to stop the auction straight away so they don’t go over the reserve like the last couple did and not give buyers any chance to buy it?

Sounds dodgy. If the house is being sold at auction, buyers should be given every opportunity. The producers of the show had to stop that last auction. It’s BS.

You have no proof he was a dummy bidder. That's just a baseless accusation.

After that scandal with the woman falsely bidding a few years ago, all registered bidders have to prove they have the finances to pay for a house before the auction on The Block. You can't just walk off the street and start bidding. You have to be a registered bidder with proof of finances on The Block. So he got outbid by Danny and lost. That doesn't make him a dummy bidder. That's just what happens at auctions.

The boys having him come to bid on their house was them playing the game very well. The racist overtones of some criticisms of this (not directed at you) is disgraceful.

I have no idea if Lambo charity guy was a genuine bidder or in league with the two blokes that won it.

But, as far I know, winning an auction does not carry a legal obligation to buy the property. So Lambo charity guy can prove his financial bona fides, bid and win the auction, then walk away. There is no legally binding contract until both buyer and seller have signed the contract of sale.

Alternatively, he can bid up the auction for his mates and walk away.

I have no idea if Lambo charity guy was a genuine bidder or in league with the two blokes that won it.

But, as far I know, winning an auction does not carry a legal obligation to buy the property. So Lambo charity guy can prove his financial bona fides, bid and win the auction, then walk away. There is no legally binding contract until both buyer and seller have signed the contract of sale.

Alternatively, he can bid up the auction for his mates and walk away.
Well no, that's dummy bidding and is illegal.

The auctions made compelling viewing (after FFing through all the ads). But a few dodgy things stood out for me.

The decision to disregard the over-budget build amounts was unfair to the contestants who had stuck to their budget.

How much work (and money) was required on each house, after the deadline, to bring it to saleable standard?

The reserve prices were ignored mid-auction. It seemed that Tom and Sarah-Jane were not given the option to pass-in a little above the reserve like the others were.
Nobody was given an opportunity to pass in above the reserve price.

For me, last night showed something that I had been wondering for a while in relation to how the houses on the block are sold. It very much seemed to me that the auctioneers were under "instruction" from people other than the contestants to secure at sale at auction. Logically, this makes sense as the legal owners of the property would be Channel 9 (or a holding company set up to manage Block affairs). Ultimately, the auctioneers are beholden to the legal owners and (I believe) had instructions to do everything possible to get a sale on auction day (regardless of what the implications were for the contestants).

From a competitive point of view, I totally understand why the teams after T & SJ wanted their properties passed in when the bidding stalled, all the information they had from the previous auctions suggested that the money had gone. From a business perspective, Ch 9 would have wanted the houses all sold at auction to avoid re-listing costs etc.

Definitely the harshest real estate conditions that I can recall for a season of The Block. My gut feel is the producers got nervous at the lack of interest at the quoted price range and wanted to make sure that they all got unloaded on the day.

The other thing that annoyed me (though looking at the rules relating to auctions, not illegal) is pausing an auction once a property is on the market to let people go to their "bidders". Like him or hate him, Danny was well within his rights to be asking the auction of T & SJ's place once it was on the market. Taking a hiatus to let buyer's advocates try and squeeze a few more bucks out of their clients (as opposed to this happening "in the run") is total garbage from a buyer's perspective. Danny had a bid above the reserve, the house was clearly on the market... then we put a stop to proceedings... Just didn't feel right to me.

What are the rules on being able to pass a property in?

Are you just able to stop the auction straight away so they don’t go over the reserve like the last couple did and not give buyers any chance to buy it?

Sounds dodgy. If the house is being sold at auction, buyers should be given every opportunity. The producers of the show had to stop that last auction. It’s BS.
All the bidders were given ample opportunity (each bid before being passed in was called down 3 times). If you're in a room and a property is being called down, that is all the opportunity you need as a buyer to make a bid.

Well no, that's dummy bidding and is illegal.

Its not dummy bidding if he has the money and would have purchased it if they won the bid.

But i have zero doubt he was there to play to Danny's ego and get the boys a great result. Playing with fire but would have purchased it if the plan didnt work and he got left with the highet bid.

The auctions made compelling viewing (after FFing through all the ads). But a few dodgy things stood out for me.

The decision to disregard the over-budget build amounts was unfair to the contestants who had stuck to their budget.

How much work (and money) was required on each house, after the deadline, to bring it to saleable standard?

The reserve prices were ignored mid-auction. It seemed that Tom and Sarah-Jane were not given the option to pass-in a little above the reserve like the others were.
I think that was more the other houses realising that they weren't going to make money if it crossed the reserve after seeing T & S-Js auction.
I think during house 1s auction when it was around about the reserve they probably genuinely thought that the auction would kick on a bit better so probably didn't even think of passing it in.

I’d be pissed at my auctioneer if I was Dylan and Jenny.

Refusing Danny’s low opening bid pissed him off and took him out of the game. You know he had the cash and is batshit crazy, so just entertain his bid. I felt like he liked D and J and wanted the buy their place but his ego got bruised and he cracked the shits.

This is incorrect. T&SJ's bids passed the reserve, so they had to sell (that's the law). They probably thought they'd get more, and it was based on what happened at this auction that the others realized they needed to pass in. None of the other contestants (except O&O) passed their reserves, though coming close to it and so they could pass in. These happened before the reserve was passed, not after.

Refusing Danny’s low opening bid pissed him off and took him out of the game
I agree that pissed Danny off, and he stopped bidding in a hissy fit. But I also think it was smart. If Danny could lock in a bid at $3.33m and it was passed in, then as the highest bidder, he could negotiate the price and possibly get it cheaply. It was a ploy by Danny, and the auctioneer didn't fall for it.

Its not dummy bidding if he has the money and would have purchased it if they won the bid.

But i have zero doubt he was there to play to Danny's ego and get the boys a great result. Playing with fire but would have purchased it if the plan didnt work and he got left with the highet bid.
I think Danny has too much of an ego to lose an auction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is incorrect. T&SJ's bids passed the reserve, so they had to sell (that's the law). They probably thought they'd get more, and it was based on what happened at this auction that the others realized they needed to pass in. None of the other contestants (except O&O) passed their reserves, though coming close to it and so they could pass in. These happened before the reserve was passed, not after.

You make a good point that T&SJ's bids passed the reserve and the others didn't.

However, it's not the law that they had to sell once the reserve had been passed. There is no legally binding contract until both buyer and seller have signed the contract of sale. Same same as a winning 'buyer' at an auction can walk away. Or the winning bidder when a property has been passed can actually negotiate the price downwards.

Can we take a moment to reflect on what eyesores these properties looked like, five of them plonked conspicuously on the side of the hill.

And if I’m dropping 4 mill on a joint in the countryside, I don’t want 4 others next door that look very similar externally.
All of the sheds were too close to the houses and the producers really needed to subdivide the land better to get seperation. 3 of the houses were basically on top of each other even though they had 10 acres.

And that's not wrong. It's a bloody winning strategy. That's why the boys won, and hats off to them for it.
Yep they steered into the Danny Wallis Show and the others got screwed by the Danny Wallis Show.

The plan couldn't have gone better for Adrian and the Boys, Adrian got the ball rolling with a likely block wining profit with the first bid and then tapped out once the bidding war with Danny hit his price ceiling netting him a lot of cheap publicity and not having to go to the hassle of offloading the property.

The problem with the show now is that going bigger and better each year has put them in a situation of now building $5 million homes that only a handful of people can even afford. They should bring it back next year and aim for the $1-2 million market, so they have more people bidding on the homes and tell Danny Wallis to Ferk off.

The problem with the show now is that going bigger and better each year has put them in a situation of now building $5 million homes that only a handful of people can even afford. They should bring it back next year and aim for the $1-2 million market, so they have more people bidding on the homes and tell Danny Wallis to Ferk off.

I don't know if it would be commercially viable to play in that space while trying to provide the potential of a decent collect for the winners

I don't know if it would be commercially viable to play in that space while trying to provide the potential of a decent collect for the winners

What’s a decent collect for the contestants though?

Seems to be the expectation of taking home under $500k isn’t a fair return on the investment of their time. I’d say say if everyone wins at least $150k, that’s more than reasonable.

This is also another problem with going big. Contestants now think they should get $500,000+ for their 12 weeks of work. They could build homes at $1.5 million and sell them for $2-2.2 million. There should be plenty of profit there for contestants to get at least $200G+ in that space. Isn't that enough for 12 weeks of work?

Back