Zach Package

Kyle Langfourd
Sep 21, 2012
Parish, Francis
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Piggy Smith, Heat
Why wouldn’t you want a Jones learning on the best defender?
Because traditionally best means biggest, I think playing on second or third tall (maybe someone similar in age or build) would allow him to find his feet quicker and get a bit of confidence.

I wouldn’t want to throw him to the wolves if we don’t have to.

DapperJong

Hall of Famer
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
Because traditionally best means biggest, I think playing on second or third tall (maybe someone similar in age or build) would allow him to find his feet quicker and get a bit of confidence.

I wouldn’t want to throw him to the wolves if we don’t have to.
I dunno, I feel like given proper tutelage this shouldn’t be an issue.

Bunk Moreland

Hall of Famer
Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
It depends if you think we are in contention any time soon, I think. Our great white Hope in Daniher was meant to be our 5 year development into our big, great forward but obviously it just hasn’t worked out. I think you need to start again and focus on Jones/Crauford etc
No probs playing one of them beside him. But Hooker is here next year and I think that’s how he’ll be best used.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
It depends if you think we are in contention any time soon, I think. Our great white Hope in Daniher was meant to be our 5 year development into our big, great forward but obviously it just hasn’t worked out. I think you need to start again and focus on Jones/Crauford etc
I agree. Give whichever one is most developed/closest a run soon. Sounds like Crauford from what little I've read on here.

eth-dog

Premium Gold
Jan 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg Lions, All Boston sides
It's a shambles. We have a near 30 year old who averages less than 1 goal/game in his career as the focal point, who hasn't kicked a goal in over 2 months, our star tall is perenially injured and our star small is also perenially injured.

It's time to try something else. Stewart needs to kick goals in the next couple of games or else we need to drop him and delist him, depending on what happens with Daniher.

Zach Package

Kyle Langfourd
Sep 21, 2012
Parish, Francis
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Piggy Smith, Heat
I dunno, I feel like given proper tutelage this shouldn’t be an issue.
Even so, my philosophy is if you can make life easier for someone, why wouldn’t you?

I’ve been calling for Hooker forward because in theory it makes life easier for the other 5 forwards and the man with the ball, until I see otherwise I think it’s the perfect short term solution for us.

Bunk Moreland

Hall of Famer
Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
It's a shambles. We have a near 30 year old who averages less than 1 goal/game in his career as the focal point, who hasn't kicked a goal in over 2 months, our star tall is perenially injured and our star small is also perenially injured.

It's time to try something else. Stewart needs to kick goals in the next couple of games or else we need to drop him and delist him, depending on what happens with Daniher.
Daniher either leaves or he’s basically a highly paid project player for the next year or two.

I’d get rid of Fantasia for what we can get, which probably isn’t much.

Hooker forward to help out say, Jones. Stringer and Tipungwuti are dangerous. All is not lost.

eth-dog

Premium Gold
Jan 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Daniher either leaves or he’s basically a highly paid project player for the next year or two.

I’d get rid of Fantasia for what we can get, which probably isn’t much.

Hooker forward to help out say, Jones. Stringer and Tipungwuti are dangerous. All is not lost.
I think Fantasia is worth more to what we can produce than what we'll get.

Hooker as the focal point has to be the plan from whenever he's fit. Zerk just needs to play, I'd give him the job on King this week, and we have plenty of other key defenders.

Plan round something like:

Fantasia - Stewart/Laverde/Jones/Gown/Daniher - Smith
Walla - Hooker - Stringer

Langford is very useful up the ground which everybody who says "our Gunston" doesn't want to admit. Yes, he's effective inside 50, everyone agrees about that, but some don't want to admit that on Friday him playing near 100% forward hurt us actually getting into 50. Snelling I think needs to have a permanent trial as a winger and just tell him to make his kick:handball ratio 2:1 instead of 1:2. He's a great kick of the ball, so let him use that kicking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

eDPS

Devon Goods
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
As much as the forward line is an issue the biggest issue is how we move the ball to our forwards, far too often we dont kick to a teammates advantage or just bomb the ball in hope. It’s predictable to opposition defenders which makes it even harder for our forwards. We showed in a short period in the game that we can lower our eyes and move the ball quickly and accurately to our forwards but as i said in the game day thread i was shocked to see it done twice in a row which is sad when it should be expected far more often.

SherbertLemon

Premiership Player
Apr 7, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
There’s always once or twice a game when I shout at the tv ‘use the space... USE THE SPACE!!!’

It’s usually followed up with a nonsensical chain of handballs or a kick which is not to our forwards advantage

I don’t know how culpable our midfield is in the impotency of our forwardline.
But either way nobody can take a contested mark and this is a problem

fairbump_playon

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Why wouldn’t you want a Jones learning on the best defender?
Needs more weight I reckon. You don’t learn a lot getting ragdolled and dominated.. you just lose confidence.

Tall defender number 2 is still a pretty strong player for most clubs.. plenty to learn competing against them, but with some successes to bolster him.

Bunk Moreland

Hall of Famer
Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
I think Fantasia is worth more to what we can produce than what we'll get.

Hooker as the focal point has to be the plan from whenever he's fit. Zerk just needs to play, I'd give him the job on King this week, and we have plenty of other key defenders.

Plan round something like:

Fantasia - Stewart/Laverde/Jones/Gown/Daniher - Smith
Walla - Hooker - Stringer

Langford is very useful up the ground which everybody who says "our Gunston" doesn't want to admit. Yes, he's effective inside 50, everyone agrees about that, but some don't want to admit that on Friday him playing near 100% forward hurt us actually getting into 50. Snelling I think needs to have a permanent trial as a winger and just tell him to make his kick:handball ratio 2:1 instead of 1:2. He's a great kick of the ball, so let him use that kicking.
Reckon Langford could potentially give us a smaller marking option and two goals a game. I’ll take that over his 15 touches up the ground, as nice as some of them might look.

eth-dog

Premium Gold
Jan 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Reckon Langford could potentially give us a smaller marking option and two goals a game. I’ll take that over his 15 touches up the ground, as nice as some of them might look.
If we extrapolate it to full game time, his first 7 games average 22.6 touches, 5.3 marks, 2.1 tackles, 2.4 inside 50's and a tick under 1 goal/game.

He's a valuable asset up the ground and inside 50, but why are people shutting him out from doing both? Friday we rarely got over halfway in the second half, which was the issue with Langford being permanently inside 50 and Cutler having a bad game.

Bunk Moreland

Hall of Famer
Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Just to illustrate, we’ve played 54 matches since the start of 2018.

Daniher - 11
Stewart - 13
Fantasia - 33
Laverde - 22
McKernan - 33

That’s 112 of 270 games. Totally unsustainable and “they’ll be right next year” can’t be the approach yet again imo.

Reckon having more than three of these five on the list next year would be irresponsible.

Burzum

Sack Dodoro
Nov 28, 2006
Melbourne/Alingsås
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Sverige

Daniher - 11
Stewart - 13
Fantasia - 33
Laverde - 22
McKernan - 33

That’s 112 of 270 games. Totally unsustainable and “they’ll be right next year” can’t be the approach yet again imo.

Reckon having more than three of these five on the list next year would be irresponsible.
All of them could be gone by next season.

yodellinhank

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
As much as the forward line is an issue the biggest issue is how we move the ball to our forwards, far too often we dont kick to a teammates advantage or just bomb the ball in hope. It’s predictable to opposition defenders which makes it even harder for our forwards. We showed in a short period in the game that we can lower our eyes and move the ball quickly and accurately to our forwards but as i said in the game day thread i was shocked to see it done twice in a row which is sad when it should be expected far more often.
It seems really obvious watching sides that aren't us that the current trend is to keep defences from being able to mark the ball. Marks inside 50 used to be a key stat, now it's just grub it in and put the backs under pressure. Unless you're the Bombers.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

Daniher - 11
Stewart - 13
Fantasia - 33
Laverde - 22
McKernan - 33

Yep that's problematic.

I'd keep McKernan and Laverde on one year deals only because we still need depth. A lot of Laverde's injuries have been unfortunate injuries rather than recurring soft issue injuries. Has the talent to persist with.
Fantasia should be traded. Plenty of players can play his position. The amount of soft tissue injuries he has makes me question whether his body can handle AFL football.
I'd also get rid of Stewart either through trade if someone wants him or by delisting him. He doesn't really change our forwardline that much anyway.
Keep Daniher if he's fit and wants to stay. If he wants to leave (which is likely), then obviously he won't be on our list.

It should be 2 or 3 at most (depending on Daniher).

owen87

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
This.

We play as though we've got superstar KPF's that can mark the ball from anywhere.

If we had peak Lloyd and Lucas down there it might just work.

Instead without Daniher we've got 0 players that can handle a double team, relying on a journeyman in McKernan to hold down our forward-line, and yet still refuse to do anything beyond dumping it high and long into our 50.

One thing you can rely on when Essendon is playing, is that opposition KPD's will score well on Supercoach from all those intercept marks.

We'd be far better served just doing dump kicks to wherever players aren't in the forward 50 to give our smalls a chance at ground level.

Bombers_95

Team Captain
Jul 5, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
HF: Fantasia Daniher Smith
F: Stringer Hooker AMT
McKenna if forward, if at half back then Snelling/Mosquito/Cahill/Laverde

This is the forward line ideally we would get on the park but 3 of those boys (Joey, Raz and Conor) are all under clouds to be at the club next season. So hard to see a quick fix in this area of the ground if we lose all 3. Daniher clearly the most important to keep.

Wouldn't mind in the short term having another look at Francis forward with Hooker. Francis is arguably out of our best backline when Ambrose/Hurley/Ridley and BZT/Hooker if back are fit.

Top Bottom