Team Mgmt. Talk about the makeup of our list - midfield balance, height profile, endurance runners

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reckon Langford could potentially give us a smaller marking option and two goals a game. I’ll take that over his 15 touches up the ground, as nice as some of them might look.
If we extrapolate it to full game time, his first 7 games average 22.6 touches, 5.3 marks, 2.1 tackles, 2.4 inside 50's and a tick under 1 goal/game.

He's a valuable asset up the ground and inside 50, but why are people shutting him out from doing both? Friday we rarely got over halfway in the second half, which was the issue with Langford being permanently inside 50 and Cutler having a bad game.

Just to illustrate, we’ve played 54 matches since the start of 2018.

Daniher - 11
Stewart - 13
Fantasia - 33
Laverde - 22
McKernan - 33

That’s 112 of 270 games. Totally unsustainable and “they’ll be right next year” can’t be the approach yet again imo.

Reckon having more than three of these five on the list next year would be irresponsible.

Just to illustrate, we’ve played 54 matches since the start of 2018.

Daniher - 11
Stewart - 13
Fantasia - 33
Laverde - 22
McKernan - 33

That’s 112 of 270 games. Totally unsustainable and “they’ll be right next year” can’t be the approach yet again imo.

Reckon having more than three of these five on the list next year would be irresponsible.
All of them could be gone by next season.

I think we have reason to be fairly optimistic for the future.

FB: Ridley - BZT - Saad
HB: Redman - Francis - Gleeson
C: Ham - Shiel - Merrett
R: Draper - McGrath - Parish
HF: Smith - ????? - Langford
FF: Stringer - ????? - Tippa
IC: Snelling - Heppell

Daniher, Fantasia, McKenna all clearly have AFL talent but unsure on their future at the club.
You think Gleeson is in our long term future?

A couple of seasons ago I was rubbished for saying we chase Casbolt. Wish we had him now.

I don’t see how Casbolt would be effective in our forward line.

Having a straight line leading forward would be wasted here. Our delivery into our forward 50 is atrocious. He’d straight line lead and we’d just continually bomb the ball in over his head or just jam a chaos ball into the forward line and he’d be taken out of the play because he does nothing at ground level.

That’s why Daniher works well - he’s a straight lead but also strong overhead and is exceptional at ground level with 2nd and 3rd efforts and his agility.

We’d be better with a key forward like a Charlie Cameron type - unless our forward 50 skills/strategy/game plan improves significantly.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Whys everyone gone off Gleeson so much lately? Sure he’s no world beater but doesn’t have many weaknesses and has plenty of footy ahead of him.
Do you honestly see him in our best 22 in 18 months time? I don’t see him at the club next year. He’s a free agent why would we offer him good coin when we have depth in his position, that are younger and better.

Whys everyone gone off Gleeson so much lately? Sure he’s no world beater but doesn’t have many weaknesses and has plenty of footy ahead of him.
Because apparently you can only have one medium defender in a side.

Looking at the snippet of the Harding article on Twitter I can see he mentions that if you want to play like Richmond you need elite runners, which we don’t have. This really strikes a cord with me as have been to the last few Essendon v Richmond games live, sat up high and been blown away by how much harder they run.

Everyone (including me) talks about the size, or lack there of, in our midfield but nobody talks about the fact they can’t really run. Some have speed, some have endurance.....none have both.

McKenna, Saad and sometimes Redman are the only guys who really “gut run” and they play in defence.

For me it just feeds into the sense that Dodoro just doesn’t get some elements of the game. Just as he doesn’t appropriately value size, I think the same applies to running ability.

Looking at the snippet of the Harding article on Twitter I can see he mentions that if you want to play like Richmond you need elite runners, which we don’t have. This really strikes a cord with me as have been to the last few Essendon v Richmond games live, sat up high and been blown away by how much harder they run.

Everyone (including me) talks about the size, or lack there of, in our midfield but nobody talks about the fact they can’t really run. Some have speed, some have endurance.....none have both.

McKenna, Saad and sometimes Redman are the only guys who really “gut run” and they play in defence.

For me it just feeds into the sense that Dodoro just doesn’t get some elements of the game. Just as he doesn’t appropriately value size, I think the same applies to running ability.
elite two way running
We'd have a defence that would sit behind their midfield/forwards quite nicely
We have a midfield & forward pressure that wouldn't have that backline winning premierships.

They bring hunger and desperation
We bring learnings & best efforts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

elite two way running
We'd have a defence that would sit behind their midfield/forwards quite nicely
We have a midfield & forward pressure that wouldn't have that backline winning premierships.

They bring hunger and desperation
We bring learnings & best efforts.
When you see us play them live the difference is actually quite shocking - they run sooooo much faster and harder.

When you see us play them live the difference is actually quite shocking - they run sooooo much faster and harder.
yep.
last 3 years has been stark. And it's netted them 2x flags & and prelim, and they look on their way to another top 3 finish (eagles and port will be top 2 for me).
You look at the saints bringing it too.

Have long said, we have the talent. We don't have ethic or mindset to match the better teams. it's why a team like the Dogs can pump the **** out of us, then look like minnows the following week.

Do you honestly see him in our best 22 in 18 months time? I don’t see him at the club next year. He’s a free agent why would we offer him good coin when we have depth in his position, that are younger and better.

What’s wrong with a back 6:

FB: Ridley - BZT - Redman
HB: Saad - Francis - Gleeson

I agree we don’t want to be matching any overs offers contract wise but I don’t see why Gleeson can’t play plenty more footy for us.

I agree we don’t want to be matching any overs offers contract wise but I don’t see why Gleeson can’t play plenty more footy for us.
This is just me, but the 7th defender would have to be a proper key defender. I'm still not there with Francis playing as the secondary.

* me the club is inept. Its clear as day that we have a disconnect between our coaching staff and list management team.

This is just me, but the 7th defender would have to be a proper key defender. I'm still not there with Francis playing as the secondary.

Would be good but I think it’s not a huge priority as I expect between Ridley and Francis we have enough coverage for most teams second KPF. The main concern is will BZT be a genuine KPD to go alongside them. If BZT isn’t that player then I can see how people have Gleeson as surplus to our needs.

Still going to have Hurley Ambrose on the list. Plus potentially getting games into McQuillan and Mcbride who both look like they’ll be playing football in the back half. Also Johnson potentially as a small back.

Would be good but I think it’s not a huge priority as I expect between Ridley and Francis we have enough coverage for most teams second KPF. The main concern is will BZT be a genuine KPD to go alongside them. If BZT isn’t that player then I can see how people have Gleeson as surplus to our needs.
Personally I feel the best defensive structure has 3 talls (Zerk, Francis, ???), 2 mediums (Gleeson, Ridley), 2 smalls (Saad, Redman), and have done for a while now. We seemed to play 3-1-3 last year, which I didn't love but the form and injuries of Ridley didn't really allow it. The confusing thing this year is the change in roles. Instead of releasing Redman to be the main man to run it out with Saad we decided to play him as the #1 small defender which isn't really his go. Can you imagine him against Liam Ryan?

Let's say Hurley is the 3rd tall in that 3-2-2 structure, how do we match West Coast or Port's forward line?

Zerk on Kennedy and Dixon
Hurley on Allen and Ladhams
Francis on Darling and Georgiades
Ridley on Waterman and Gray
Gleeson on Cripps and Butters
Saad on Ryan and Rozee
Redman on Cameron and Woodcock

It's an interesting thing, they both play 7/7/7/1 instead of 7/8/6/1 (which we favour) and they also change it slightly. West Coast are running a 2/2/3 and Port a 2/1/4.

I don’t see how Casbolt would be effective in our forward line.

Having a straight line leading forward would be wasted here. Our delivery into our forward 50 is atrocious. He’d straight line lead and we’d just continually bomb the ball in over his head or just jam a chaos ball into the forward line and he’d be taken out of the play because he does nothing at ground level.

That’s why Daniher works well - he’s a straight lead but also strong overhead and is exceptional at ground level with 2nd and 3rd efforts and his agility.

We’d be better with a key forward like a Charlie Cameron type - unless our forward 50 skills/strategy/game plan improves significantly.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He can mark. We often bomb it long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back