Analysis The Blue Collar Player

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if it's the same or different from the Essendon DNA. The "blue collar" stuff is what they tell the media?

This was a month or two ago, you can see the values on the wall behind Dodoro:
So, to expand, we could be looking at something like what I've written below. When I think of Essendon people and I start to go beyond the field, suddenly the work ethic of people like Kevin Sheedy and Michael Long come into the frame at the community level. It makes the citizenship and club person awards on Crichton night really important in terms of shaping 'Essendon people' for roles after the playing days are finished.

Care
Individual: Care for your development responsibly, following the advice and direction of trainers and dieticians.
Team: Care for your team mates by training responsibly and showing respect. Care for your team mates by standing up for them on the field. Care for the shared goals of the coaches and team by remaining focused on playing your role.
Club: Care for the culture, integrity and image of the club by upholding its values on and off the field. Care for the club's personnel by treating others with respect and taking responsibility for your actions within the club. Care for the club by respecting its shared facilities.
League: Recognise that we are all custodians of the game, and they we all have a responsibility to care its culture, integrity and image.
Community: Care for the community through upholding the club's civic values.

Commit
Individual: Approach training, conditioning (including diet) and match play with strong self-discipline, rigour and resilience
Team: Commit to your role within the gameplan, as the best way to show commitment to your team mates. Be strong in the contest, keep moving and hold your position.
Club: Commit to the culture and values of the club, upholding its integrity and image by being actively involved and supportive of its initiatives.
League: Commit to the culture and values of the League, upholding the integrity and image of the game.
Community: Commit to upholding civic responsibilities through being a respectful and responsible citizen.

Compete
Individual: Train hard with a focus on self-development and improvement. Put in your best effort at every exercise, drill, contest, role and match.
Team: Strive to win every contest and to drive the training and playing standards of your team mates.
Club: Strive to drive the culture and values of the club, recognising the opportunity to make it the best and most respected sporting organisation in the world.
League: Strive to uphold the integrity and image of the game, recognising the opportunity to make the League the most respected and best competition in the world.
Community: Challenge yourself to demonstrate exemplary civic values and attitudes in all that you do with and for the community.

Celebrate
Individual: Respect yourself and show pride in your values and attitudes, recognising that diversity and self-acceptance builds strength of character and should be celebrated.
Team: Respect your team mates and show pride in their achievements and their diverse backgrounds, recognising that tolerance and acceptance will build the strength and cohesion of the group, and should be celebrated.
Club: Respect the club's values, culture and history, celebrating its achievements and your priveleged selection to continue to build and be part of its story. You and your role are valuable to us.
League: Respect and celebrate the shared history you have with others who have built our great game, as well as those with whom you continue to contribute, as an Essendon FC person.
Community: Celebrate the priveleged role that you have as a professional to work with and to uphold the civic values of the community.

To me blue collar is someone who doesn’t mind rolling up their sleeves and getting their hands dirty in order to get the job done OR someone who has to work hard at their craft
There are many examples of people in business like this who go on to be very successful, and also in AFL football. Of the current playing list the players that come to mind as blue collar are;-

Guelfi - can and will play just about any role for the team
Kelly - no fuss back pocket who gets the job done each week
Zerk - not the most gifted player but works hard to better himself
Caldwell - meat and 3 veg midfielder who gets little recognition
Phillips - our back up ruck who is always ready for a call up when required

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Blue collar for me: is a team first ethos, the non-negotiables... Committing to blocks, tackles, smothers, team defence, giving off to a team mate in a better position, two way running, to always go when its your turn, etc.

Think a lot of people are confusing blue collar, with being run of the mill. You can be one of the stars and still display those blue collar behaviours.

Orazio Fantasia & Joe Daniher: not blue collar

To me blue collar is someone who doesn’t mind rolling up their sleeves and getting their hands dirty in order to get the job done OR someone who has to work hard at their craft
There are many examples of people in business like this who go on to be very successful, and also in AFL football. Of the current playing list the players that come to mind as blue collar are;-

Guelfi - can and will play just about any role for the team
Kelly - no fuss back pocket who gets the job done each week
Zerk - not the most gifted player but works hard to better himself
Caldwell - meat and 3 veg midfielder who gets little recognition
Phillips - our back up ruck who is always ready for a call up when required

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
With the exception of his work to get back to full fitness, I don't think we've got a lot of evidence that Caldwell is a blue collar type yet.
Orazio Fantasia & Joe Daniher: not blue collar
Zaharakis maybe a pastel blue collar; trained hard and always got selected but wouldn't run both ways.

With the exception of his work to get back to full fitness, I don't think we've got a lot of evidence that Caldwell is a blue collar type yet.

Zaharakis maybe a pastel blue collar; trained hard and always got selected but wouldn't run both ways.
Zarahakis worked in construction - but in the air con office. Steel cap boots still but long sleeve chambray.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pleasing blue collar aspects of training yesterday, courtesy of CJohns from Blitz:

"...One thing that stood out as a team was the strength of our tackling. It was quite a physical session and was pleasing to see some really hard crunching tackles."

This one with 'a bit of mongrel as Beerfish suggested, though I'm not sure that constitutes a blue collar approach; "...at one point Francis almost did a dirty hit on Tom Hird as it was slightly after the play ended and Tom looked at him with a not so impressed look. Aaron just went about his business with no acknolwedgement to Tom and tackled hard the next play. Another play where Aaron tried to burst through a Hobbs tackle in full speed and Hobbs managed to hold him and get him to the ground. Really impresive that he can have that toughness to do that at 18. Was some willing tackles today and players were up for the tough stuff."

"Rance is working very hard with our defensice 8-10 guys."

"Rance is really teaching him hard but Stewart is applying and listening to everything he has to say. One play he told Stewart to hit Jones…keep nagging at him and keep being physical with him despite ball being 80m away. Rance did not want a stand and watch ball…always let your oppenent feel you and let them know you will be physical at all times…get in their head. Rance would then in almost slow motion go through Stewarts positing after a number of plays to make sure he has it locked in. You can clearly see in match simulations Stewart looking very solid and getting to right positions."

"...when training is over Ridley asked for a trainer to stay with him and he went over repetitive defensive punching drills with the leap bag. Says a bit about his pursuit for excellence."

"2MP also did a great run down tackle on Hind…so his work rate was top notch. Wright i sense has a bit of "i belong in the AFL now’ body langauge in him."

"Francis was super impressive. The most pleasing for me was his busrt speed to create a lead. He has picked up some improved pace being so lean and a better fitness base. They even switched Kelly to him as a chalnge and he took a leading mark the very next play."

"Both Shiel and McGrath also stayed back after training to do repetitive drills of grabbing the ball 70m out and running to kick for goal from around 40m at speed."

"Want to do a fun shout out to Alex Hird. While he is a fair bit behind he has improved significanty also. He was really active today and hit all his kicks and i did notice his pace seems to of improved. I think he is now quicker than Tom. Alex though had a real dip today and didnt look to much out of place which is a testament to him. Tom is also working very hard and trying to get the small forward craft happening."

"Solid tough session. Lots of planning and focused development from our coaching group…a nice change."

Really like the blue collar approach of coaching staff as well. Again, this seems like the difference between Worsfold's and Rutten's approaches. Rutten is more instructional. Sounds like Rance is too.

"Rance is really teaching him hard but Stewart is applying and listening to everything he has to say. One play he told Stewart to hit Jones…keep nagging at him and keep being physical with him despite ball being 80m away. Rance did not want a stand and watch ball…always let your oppenent feel you and let them know you will be physical at all times…get in their head. Rance would then in almost slow motion go through Stewarts positing after a number of plays to make sure he has it locked in. You can clearly see in match simulations Stewart looking very solid and getting to right positions."

As an aside, Rance is probably a good coach for Stewart, who is himself a fantastic athlete.

Hooker was never (post hamstrings at least) a great athlete so had to play totally different to how Stewart does, whereas Rance is a much more similar athletic profile.

"2MP also did a great run down tackle on Hind
Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

BTW don't talk that way about my Caldwell. He's hard as a cat's head and that automatically makes you blue collar!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back