Strategy The BLUEPRINT ... Myth or Crows-beater?

Remove this Banner Ad

Definetly those 7 losses are over 4 years we even had danger in those loses over that period our list has probably changed by close to 50 % with three different coaches with different game plans

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'm pretty sure he's referring to since Pyke became coach and we've lost the last 3 in similar fashion.

What annoys me is our perceived lack of invention... not planning an alternative look ourselves or being slow to implement changes when these tactics do work.
Yes, agreed. :thumbsu::thumbsu:
I'd like to see something innovative, unusual and daring in the last 10 games, even something dull (but effective) like slowing the game down when an opposition gets a run of goals.
If we do the same things against Geelong, we'll get done in the same way. I'm hoping Pykey will see that, accept it, and make some adjustments. Frankly, I'm tired of hearing him and the players in pressers saying that
--- we didn't play our way
--- we need to stick to our game plan
--- we have to get back to playing our way
as if to say that the Crows have a mortgage on a particular game style ("our way") which will beat all comers. That's stubborn arrogance, disrespects the competition and totally disregards that we need to do something different, not more of the same, when a team is beating us.

I think it's pretty clear tonight there is a blueprint to beat Geelong, tag Selwood. That's now 4 losses each time he is tagged.

Makes you wonder why all coaches don't utilise it when it's so obvious, are they dumb?

"Good teams don't tag" or "we'll back in our system" is usually rolled out in cases where Selwood isn't tagged

I think it's pretty clear tonight there is a blueprint to beat Geelong, tag Selwood. That's now 4 losses each time he is tagged.

Makes you wonder why all coaches don't utilise it when it's so obvious, are they dumb?

Do you think the fact shuey, who is basically west coasts equivalent to Sloane having a decent game and getting 32 possessions had a pretty major influence

If he was tagged out of it, and they tried, can't see west coast winning it

Shuey dealt with the tag and performed, Sloane needs to fix that part of his game or we won't win the flag he is our best midfield and gets paid to be our best midfielder

Selwood didn't deal well with the tag either last night he failed on this occasion, he can be called out like Sloane.

You may aswell call it like it is

Do you think the fact shuey, who is basically west coasts equivalent to Sloane having a decent game and getting 32 possessions had a pretty major influence

If he was tagged out of it, and they tried, can't see west coast winning it

Shuey dealt with the tag and performed, Sloane needs to fix that part of his game or we won't win the flag he is our best midfield and gets paid to be our best midfielder

Selwood didn't deal well with the tag either last night he failed on this occasion, he can be called out like Sloane.

You may aswell call it like it is

Shueys tagger went off at half time injured.

So Selwood being tagged had nothing to do with stopping Geelong? Cmon Marty, its ok to admit you got this one wrong, digging your heels in doesn't help your point.

So the question has to be asked, why don't all coaches tag Selwood when it obviously helps beat Geelong? Does that mean that the blueprint doesn't exist because all coaches don't use it?

So Selwood being tagged had nothing to do with stopping Geelong? Cmon Marty, its ok to admit you got this one wrong, digging your heels in doesn't help your point.

So the question has to be asked, why don't all coaches tag Selwood when it obviously helps beat Geelong? Does that mean that the blueprint doesn't exist because all coaches don't use it?

Correct shuey survived the tag and actually beat the next tagger

If Selwood was good enough to beat his tag Geelong win simples or if shuey wasn't good enough to beat his taggers Geelong win

If Sloane had his normal dominant game against the cats I would think the result could have been different the score line wasn't not unacheivable

If you have no faith in Sloane to beat a tagger we simply will not win the flag, against quality teams your best player needs his best game.

Correct shuey survived the tag and actually beat the next tagger

If Selwood was good enough to beat his tag Geelong win simples or if shuey wasn't good enough to beat his taggers Geelong win

If Sloane had his normal dominant game against the cats I would think the result could have been different the score line wasn't not unacheivable

If you have no faith in Sloane to beat a tagger we simply will not win the flag, against quality teams your best player needs his best game.

So the blueprint to beat Geelong worked, why don't all coaches use it? Are they dumb?

So the blueprint to beat Geelong worked, why don't all coaches use it? Are they dumb?

If you haven't worked out our game plan is attack and not defence you will never work it out

I actually agree dominant players need to be cut out but also our dominant players can't be cut out

Will we win going into a game against Geelong with Sloane and Selwood or danger doing nothing where it's a low scoring battle or does Pyke want a high scoring battle with us having the best forward line in the league?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you haven't worked out our game plan is attack and not defence you will never work it out

I actually agree dominant players need to be cut out but also our dominant players can't be cut out

Will we win going into a game against Geelong with Sloane and Selwood or danger doing nothing where it's a low scoring battle or does Pyke want a high scoring battle with us having the best forward line in the league?

You haven't answered the question, why don't all clubs tag Selwood if it helps beat Geelong? Are all the other coaches dumb?

After watching last night I am changing my view on tagging. It does seem to be back.

When we play them next I want Greenwood or Kelly to stick to Duckwood all night.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You haven't answered the question, why don't all clubs tag Selwood if it helps beat Geelong? Are all the other coaches dumb?

Why doesn't every club tag Sloane or Kennedy or dusty. They are either backing their game plan and going attacking

If the tag fails you will lose as it did for Geelong last night

Imagine if Sloane is tagged the guy fails to do it and we the effectively have three mids against two

The game comes down to a one on one battle between Sloane and some no name. Are you going to back Sloane

Why doesn't every club tag Sloane or Kennedy or dusty. They are either backing their game plan and going attacking

If the tag fails you will lose as it did for Geelong last night

Imagine if Sloane is tagged the guy fails to do it and we the effectively have three mids against two

The game comes down to a one on one battle between Sloane and some no name. Are you going to back Sloane

So isn't this answering your question from last week when you mocked the notion of a blueprint to beat us because all coaches don't use it?

He just asked if it was a coincidence we lost 7 times in a row

There is a large amount of between the ears going on v Geelong and having Dangerflog over there ain't helping.
Melbourne give us the yips then get flogged by other minnows.
Every player needs to spend as much time with a shrink as they do on the track I recon.

The whole 'blueprint' fad is a simplification that is growing and attaching itself to the mindset of playing against Geelong, or should I say playing against Selwood and Dangerfield...?.....And I'm talking the Crows mindset.
The defensive intensity of effort required against these two players is just 1/11th of that required for the whole team. Let's not get too narrow a focus/mind set (as has already happened with what's been lumped onto Sloan) as the key to our winning games. I'm not saying it's not important. It may be the key with Geelong but it cannot be endgame where if it doesn't quite work (psyche) we take our bat and ball and go home.
Don't lets get sucked into that beating Geelong is a simple iffy 2 tag effort.

Don't lets get sucked into that beating Geelong is a simple iffy 2 tag effort.

It's not even a 2 tag effort. Danger doesn't need a tag.

And you're right, it's not just a matter of tagging Selwood.

But that's the starting point if you want to win.

So isn't this answering your question from last week when you mocked the notion of a blueprint to beat us because all coaches don't use it?

Not at all remember, the big Fella Hawkins wasnt playing last night so tell me if he was would they have won, there forward line was crap last night and they seriously only have one target in Hawkins. So even if Selwood was shut down, do you think if Hawkins was playing they would have one surely he was worth at least 3 goals and enormous amount of structure.

No Blue print, just luck there only forward was suspended

Not at all remember, the big Fella Hawkins wasnt playing last night so tell me if he was would they have won, there forward line was crap last night and they seriously only have one target in Hawkins. So even if Selwood was shut down, do you think if Hawkins was playing they would have one surely he was worth at least 3 goals and enormous amount of structure.

No Blue print, just luck there only forward was suspended
West Coast were missing Kennedy who is the best forward in the comp.

and
You may as well call it like it is
I think you're both saying pretty much the same thing, except EliteCrow calls it a "blueprint" and Marty recognises that it's a legitimate tactic.

Here's why I disagree with the term "blueprint" and it's more about word-meaning than tactics. A "blueprint" is infallible, unless the architect got it wrong ie "follow the blueprint" means "get the job done" and that means "build the structure". A blueprint is for a building, not a game of footy. I disagree with the notion of a "blueprint" in footy to beat anyone. There's no such thing. My description (contest the ball, get the ball, use the ball better, kick a bigger score) is not a blueprint but a general, (over)simplified description of how to win a game of footy.
It's just not that easy/simple and "tag Selwood" is not an always-win tactic, either. Sometimes, Selwood/Sloane get tagged, sometimes not. Sometimes, they beat the tag, sometimes not. Selwood was tagged last night but many other factors were in play:
--- travel across to WA, which can be enervating/unsettling even if all teams have to do it at some stage
--- home ground/crowd advantage. I could hear the Weagles fans' support for their team which must have some impact
--- Hawkins suspended (yay!)
--- some players lifting their game, others not (which is a variable that teeters every game)
--- the thing that stood out for me in the first half especially was the Weagles' pressure and tackling, which was ferocious and by which Geelong was eventually unsettled. The Crows do not get beaten when they bring similar pressure and tackling and sustain it, in fact it results in some monster scores and blow-out wins. The closest game we've had was with PA (17-point win, which I'd take every time we play them).
My guess --- and it's only a guess/impression --- is that Pyke with his "play our way" mantra is putting pressure on Sloane to beat his tag, which the best midfielders can do in Premiership sides. If not, he wants the rest of the team to stand up and win the contested ball anyway, when Sloane is getting held.
Geelong have problems of their own, thankfully. Potential hamstring injuries and that's the seventh time they've been beaten after a bye. Double-yay!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back