Strategy The Board of Directors: Operation Ruthless

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd expect a bloke of your vintage to conduct themselves better than that. The only thing that "triggers" me around here is the infantile drivel in response to very reasonable questions.

It seems those are your stock standard answers around here. Perhaps a dose of your own medicine might help. Or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
So whether or not Sonja or women know more about football than me because I have a different chromosome is not particularly relevant to a Board position that has minimal if any impact on Game Day.

What I do know is that Boards need diversity and when I look through the crowd there are lots of female North fans and always has been.

So if she is only on the Board to represent the women North fans, that’s a good thing.

Maybe she can have a say in how we manage the annual Mother’s Day farce when it comes to our fixturing request for example.

Maybe she can come up with some inventive ways to target what the female members actually want from their Game Day experience.

Alysa Campion was a Gold Medal winning Winter Aerialist. She made the Pies Board. What does she know about AFL? Don’t know. But I bet Eddie saw her appointment as bringing a skill set that others couldn’t.

As I said in my post wondering why you and Egga have been so triggered by her appointment, I have never met Sonja Hood. I am not a personal friend of hers nor have I used multiple accounts to post here.

I remain astonished as to why you are so upset about someone who (a) it appears has been labelled as a "Sociologist" and (b) being a woman, knows less about football than do men. I suppose that really means you think she knows less about football than you do.

You are entitled to believe that you know more about football than she does, but equally she is just as entitled to think she knows more about football than you do. In my opinion, having a better knowledge of football is not related to gender in any way shape or form.

But if she is a "Sociologist" and she does know less about football than "men" do, why is that relevant to her appointment, when there are others on the board who are not "Sociologists" and allegedly know more about football than she does? Surely she is there for her strengths rather than her - perceived in your eyes and those of Egga - weaknesses.

You have also had a go here at people who are "lefties" and ridiculed those who are concerned about "climate change".

I'm happy to put my hand up and say I am a "leftie". Always have been and always will be.

And I am even more concerned about climate change and its long term affect on this planet. I have two children, young adults, aged 29 and 24, who have grown up in a different world to the one that I grew up in and I am very concerned for what they are inheriting from those of us who have been around much longer than we have. They have real fears and they actually feel betrayed by the generations who have come before them.

Surely the most ferocious fires we have ever seen here in Australia this year, bearing in mind we are only in December and most of the really devastating bush fires occur in February and March each year, lay testament to that.

Surely what many see as the worst ever drought being experienced in Queensland and New South Wales lays testament to that.

Surely the melting of the Polar ice caps and disappearance forever of glacial formations lay testament to the warming of the planet.

Surely the increasingly savage cyclones/hurricanes and the devastation they cause lay testament to that.

Surely already the evidence of rising ocean levels lays testament to that.

From a personal perspective I grew up on a dairy farm in Cunners territory. We used to experience much less harsh climatic conditions in our area, with 4 genuine seasons every year. Then in the 1950/60s the Bolte Government cleared vast areas of virgin bush land, west of the Otways back to the Heytesbury and almost overnight our seasons changed to what seemed like just two longer harsher seasons, winter and summer and not much in between. Some magnificent dairy farming land was the result, but longer term who know what might come of that?

I'll be well and truly dead by the time the increasing affects of climate change alter markedly how the lives of future generations are lived, so it really doesn't matter to me, but it may well matter to them and their contemporaries. And for that I am very concerned that not enough is being done to try to mitigate against climate change and the warming of our planet.

Yes I'm way off tangent in talking about this here but if Snake, you wish to have little jibes at "lefties" and people concerned about climate change, then I'm happy to go off tangent.
Like you, Horace, I am deeply concerned about climate change and the effect it is having on our country. I really feel for our young people and understand why they are so angry about it. I really don't understand why both major political parties are using and abusing it solely for political reasons. It's not a political issue, it's a survival issue and surely the country needs a united and decisive approach not the political point scoring that's going on at the moment.

Like you, Horace, I am deeply concerned about climate change and the effect it is having on our country. I really feel for our young people and understand why they are so angry about it. I really don't understand why both major political parties are using and abusing it solely for political reasons. It's not a political issue, it's a survival issue and surely the country needs a united and decisive approach not the political point scoring that's going on at the moment.

We missed the boat with the past 15 years of Leadership instability; Australia should be a leader in renewable energies but we lacked the political vision and insight. The rot still continues; we could have been making $$$$ out of it by now.

So who are they these people who are "the most qualified"? Why are they "the most qualified"?

I honestly don't know whether she or someone else is "the most qualified", but if there are people who are "the most qualified" then name them.

I honestly just don't get the angst. There must be something more than her being a "Sociologist" and a woman that has got "your gander up".

It’s all about getting the person with the best experience for the job. I know some people are using the term “sociologist” for brevity and we know Sonja Hood is more than that, but surely I don’t have to deliver specific names to demonstrate that there are people out there with more relevant experience than a “sociologist” for the top decision making body of a professional AFL club. For example, wouldn’t you want a successful exec from AFL, from another professional code, from a member based organisation, from any competitive organisation, from top level politics?

NB: For the record, I have never mentioned gender.

We missed the boat with the past 15 years of Leadership instability; Australia should be a leader in renewable energies but we lacked the political vision and insight. The rot still continues; we could have been making $$$$ out of it by now.
Couldn't agree more..... we should be a world leader in renewable energy but instead we have sat on our hands. Sometimes issues need a bipartisan approach and this is surely one of them? I grew up in rural Victoria and to see the devastation climate change is causing in farming communities is very disturbing. A way of life will likely be lost within 30 years.

Couldn't agree more..... we should be a world leader in renewable energy but instead we have sat on our hands. Sometimes issues need a bipartisan approach and this is surely one of them? I grew up in rural Victoria and to see the devastation climate change is causing in farming communities is very disturbing. A way of life will likely be lost within 30 years.

Ride through it every god damn day
It is the driest I have seen since the drought of 2006/7

It’s all about getting the person with the best experience for the job. I know some people are using the term “sociologist” for brevity and we know Sonja Hood is more than that, but surely I don’t have to deliver specific names to demonstrate that there are people out there with more relevant experience than a “sociologist” for the top decision making body of a professional AFL club. For example, wouldn’t you want a successful exec from AFL, from another professional code, from a member based organisation, from any competitive organisation, from top level politics?

NB: For the record, I have never mentioned gender.
I believe you are describing Ben Buckley.... Pretty tough to snare two of those, particularly two that are passionate North people like Ben....

Ride through it every god damn day
It is the driest I have seen since the drought of 2006/7
I was in Bairnsdale today, covered in smoke from the NSW fires, very little grass and a lot of dust...wildlife emboldened by desperation. I saw an echidna desperately trying to dig its way into the bottom of a cattle grid to try and access a tiny muddy pool to drink from. So depressing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was in Bairnsdale today, covered in smoke from the NSW fires, very little grass and a lot of dust...wildlife emboldened by desperation. I saw an echidna desperately trying to dig its way into the bottom of a cattle grid to try and access a tiny muddy pool to drink from. So depressing.

The Roos come into town at night now to eat, both in Shepp and Mooroopna. Nothing to eat out in the bush/paddocks

Boort farmers in their 70's have had the biggest crop yields in living memory and hay cuts have been solid all the way out to Wycheproof. The further west and yields start to diminish.

What this has to do with the topic of the NMFC board, I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back