Strategy The Board of Directors: Operation Ruthless

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats ******* stupid is people thinking a club that has won 33/74 can afford to sit on it's hands and be idle, that's stupid. I'm not suggesting we'll do it, but for the example offer we'd be stupid not to take it.

He's a career 48 goal per season forward, hardly a gun. I'd reckon Mark Roberts put up similar as the third banana.

EDIT- I rate Ben but lets keep it semi real.
Turn it up, I bloody loved the Fridge, but the most he kicked in a season was 47 and that was his tenth year in the AFL. Of course being the third banana wasn't really his role anyway.
Not fair to simply take Brown's arithmetic mean as a measure of his output either. He's kicked 60 in the last two seasons and he's on track to do it again.

Turn it up, I bloody loved the Fridge, but the most he kicked in a season was 47 and that was his tenth year in the AFL. Of course being the third banana wasn't really his role anyway.
Not fair to simply take Brown's arithmetic mean as a measure of his output either. He's kicked 60 in the last two seasons and he's on track to do it again.

My point stands we should look at who we've got and what we need. Or we keep the status quo, run the core of our team into retirement and hope to replace and go again. The latter which has been a strategy hasn't worked over the last ten years.

Following Brad Scott's exit as Roos coach, Shaw will be in charge of 12 matches, matches which will become almost a disruption to the club as it now sets out to review every single position in the club.

As always when a coach departs, there are more questions than answers with the Roos. Not with how Scott's departure actually played out, but why the Roos' board opted to re-contract him just 32 matches ago, only to mutually arrive at a decision last Friday that the next season and a half were not persevering with.

The key part of the review should actually be of the board itself, and how it allowed some of the game's biggest name footballers – Dusty Martin, Josh Kelly, Jordan De Goey included – to be offered some of the biggest financial deals in the history of the game, without success.

Scott is not guaranteed a senior job next year, but he is now in pole position to negotiate on the jobs that are likely to become vacant – Carlton and St Kilda. And the other one which is looming as a strong possibility – Essendon.

North Melbourne is not guaranteed to get their main man into its senior job next season, but it, too, is in pole position to offer massive contracts to the best candidates – Alastair Clarkson, John Longmire and Adam Simpson the main targets.

Should those approaches fail, Sam Mitchell should come sharply into focus.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-26/barrett-the-40year-drought-dogs-dont-want-to-break
Lure one of those coaches
Following Brad Scott's exit as Roos coach, Shaw will be in charge of 12 matches, matches which will become almost a disruption to the club as it now sets out to review every single position in the club.

As always when a coach departs, there are more questions than answers with the Roos. Not with how Scott's departure actually played out, but why the Roos' board opted to re-contract him just 32 matches ago, only to mutually arrive at a decision last Friday that the next season and a half were not persevering with.

The key part of the review should actually be of the board itself, and how it allowed some of the game's biggest name footballers – Dusty Martin, Josh Kelly, Jordan De Goey included – to be offered some of the biggest financial deals in the history of the game, without success.

Scott is not guaranteed a senior job next year, but he is now in pole position to negotiate on the jobs that are likely to become vacant – Carlton and St Kilda. And the other one which is looming as a strong possibility – Essendon.

North Melbourne is not guaranteed to get their main man into its senior job next season, but it, too, is in pole position to offer massive contracts to the best candidates – Alastair Clarkson, John Longmire and Adam Simpson the main targets.

Should those approaches fail, Sam Mitchell should come sharply into focus.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-26/barrett-the-40year-drought-dogs-dont-want-to-break

"Build it and they will come".....forget about contracts to individual players. Get the right coach in place, build the culture around him, and the players will come. I can't help but think Clarko could be a bust at north the way Malthouse was at Carlton. Simmo to early into his reign at WCE, Horse for me.

So in other words , this is the beginning of a Buckley run chairmanship?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Always had the impression brads extension was rushed through by an outgoing pres, with the incoming none too thrilled by it. I do think it is the Bushranger making a stand.

absolutely, Buckley and Horse’s Manager should call this imbecile out. He’s been the driver of the ‘NM can’t land a big fish’ narrative since we tried to snap up his beloved Dusty.

He has an axe to grind and someone needs to give him a right hook.

Brave man to give a right hook to an axe wielding imbecile!

Lure one of those coaches

"Build it and they will come".....forget about contracts to individual players. Get the right coach in place, build the culture around him, and the players will come. I can't help but think Clarko could be a bust at north the way Malthouse was at Carlton. Simmo to early into his reign at WCE, Horse for me.
Yep, get the house in order, continue to develop some of our elite youth and we may land that big fish. Or better yet, won't need to.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Always had the impression brads extension was rushed through by an outgoing pres, with the incoming none too thrilled by it. I do think it is the Bushranger making a stand.
Hope so.
That's what we've been waiting for.
It was swift , like a mob hit.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure Brad had some form in bringing in players to make a premiership tilt prior to '17. Probably should have gotten rid of the Macmillan's during that process to the get the rebuild in full swing. Probably should have tried to trade off Goldy when he had value too.

He then tried to bring in players to capitalise on the Tarrant, Goldstein, Higgins, Cunnington and Brown spine that developed nicely.
That's fair. And made sense.

But to then say he thinks a complete rebuild is the way to go? I can imagine that wouldn't sit too well with our mid 20-30 old year old players and those who recently signed contract extensions.

I heard Whateley this morning saying that it was the clubs irrational pride that was keeping us in the middle of the table? So it's the clubs fault we didn't lose that match to draft us the no.1 pick, ultimately helping out rebuild? That same match, Scott still boasts about not losing and would have probably helped his team speed up the rebuild process.

I'm sure it's the clubs fault too that Larkey didn't play senior football until 4 rounds in while ex-team mates were screaming that they needed to get him in?

I agree, so does vision impaired Frederick whom I'm sharing a sneaky bottle of shiraz with at present.

Don't forget at one stage we had Longmire, Carey, Fridge, Allison, and McAdam all on the leading goalkicker list. 47 is a great haul in that company! Was also Peter Mann and Corey McKernan coming through not to mention goal kicking mids like Schwass and Rock.

If you suggest trading Brown and Cunnington and any gun player over 30 you are as dumb as the journos who have no idea about Brads departure and suggest a clean out.

You will get nothing for Goldstein, Higgins and Tarrant.
Brown and Cunnington will leave us in the wilderness for the next 5 years.

It just doesn’t work and is the epitome of **** low brow journalism.
Yep, Ralphy is a ******* moron.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

we wouldn't get two first rounders and why would we take out a AA full forward and replace him with a intercept defender who has proven he's not a genuine FF?

you actually think the 'long term rebuild' bottoming out theory actually works? or is this just hutchy trolling the north board?

I reckon we could have multiple offers of two first-round picks. How many genuine ready to go, 60 plus goal key forwards are out there? They are rarer, harder to pick and develop than gun midfielders. If Bryce Gibbs was worth two first rounders then BBB is worth more.

I don't think we should offer him up though.

Whats ******* stupid is people thinking a club that has won 33/74 can afford to sit on it's hands and be idle, that's stupid. I'm not suggesting we'll do it, but for the example offer we'd be stupid not to take it.

He's a career 48 goal per season forward, hardly a gun. I'd reckon Mark Roberts put up similar as the third banana.

EDIT- I rate Ben but lets keep it semi real.
You know what was stupid, the nmfc struggling to move the ball forward in the first 6 rounds. Only to figure out they had the frosty medal winner in the reserves.

Firstly we need a new football boss then we need to trust the process.
As far I’m concerned all are up for trade, in the hunt for the next flag. We need to be ruthless.

Last edited:
I don’t understand any of it enough to quite understand what you mean but fair enough.

Me?

Sitting down at a board meeting, with equal power at a place like Arden Street circa 2019?

Think about it?

It would be carnage.

If I were advising the Board I'd remind them that actions matter. Nothing else. Sick of hearing about how much money we've got. How about going out and doing it rather than talking about it. It's dumb. Comes across as though we've got small man syndrome and tips off the clubs who go and sure up our targets. As Tuco said in the Good, the Bad and the Ugly, "shoot, don't talk."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back