THE BOARD. PAFC DIRECTORS. Why? Just why? 😢

Remove this Banner Ad

The fact Ransom gets pilloried in this thread and no-one else does is pretty obviously ageist and sexist.

I'm guessing that any criticism of Gavin W is racist too?

All I know is that Cardone's conflict of interest is ridiculous and untenable.

Yes? Have you missed the entire threads devoted to this topic?

Can you do this for all the other board members? I'm not going to pretend I know if Holly is good at her job, or indeed if any of the other board members are. All I know is that Cardone's conflict of interest is ridiculous and untenable.

The fact Ransom gets pilloried in this thread and no-one else does is pretty obviously ageist and sexist.

Pretty sure Cos has been whacked as well as Holly. I've been in the same group as Holly and there was minimal contribution from my observations. Now obviously everyone will have different opinions. Cos and her were completely different personalities with different pro's and cons

Can you do this for all the other board members? I'm not going to pretend I know if Holly is good at her job, or indeed if any of the other board members are. All I know is that Cardone's conflict of interest is ridiculous and untenable.

Cos Cardone has been pilloried in this thread and others, as has Koch, as has Amanda Vanstone. They like Holly have a public profile and have a bit of look at me, look what I have done, here is my opinion about things, so they become a natural target, especially when things aren't going perfectly.

Darren Cahill has been spared this, but he is always pushing Port at every opportunity, knows our DNA and it was Darren's willingness to go the extra mile that got MG over the line.

The other directors don't have a public profile and unless you know them, they are pretty invisible to the average member and fan, but that's the way most board members of most organisations are.

Edit I forgot about Wanga's when I posted. Probably reflects his low profile and if ever asked about things says nothing much in the media.

Last edited:
I have been both the CEO and Principal Consultant of a one person consultancy. You shall all bow down before me and not question any of my opinions.

I consult myself all the time.

"Do I need a beer?"

"Yes"

Well that's going on the Wikipedia page for sure.

The other directors don't have a public profile and unless you know them, they are pretty invisible to the average member and fan, but that's the way most board members of most organisations are.

The "accountants & lawyers" that sit on boards have a clear and obvious function when guiding the club through its day-to-day trajectory. They're not on the board for their marketing skills or network.

Cardone, even with the conflict-of-issue, has a clear role with his connections within the media.

If you take Ransom's CV on face value, her main career thrust has been 'disruption'. When you look at the areas we've actually been disruptive in a strategic and successful manner, they all happened before her tenure began. We haven't really done much different since she came onto the board.

Perhaps Holly was instrumental in the way we handled the indigenous round guernsey fiasco?
Perhaps she pushed hard for the dual captains thing?

We can point to specific things that most of our board members have done, good and bad.
Ransom isn't one of them.

Last edited:
I want to play in the comfort zone please, seems much more peaceful

I was in the courage zone this morning trying to convince my 10yo to pack a more healthy lunchbox.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having to go to Professional Development Days incessantly for the last 20 years, Conferences etc, these self help/business help gurus make me want to vomit.

I always come back to the point, if you are so ******* good at running the business and have all the answers to being hyper successful in the field, why aren't you doing it yourself?

Cardone gets pillored, Vanstone used to get pillored.

You're correct that we don't really know what any of the board members actually contribute but to say that questioning of Holly's worth to the board is pretty obviously ageist and sexist is way off the mark. She is the board member with the most nebulous credentials. Can't the contribution of young pretty things be questioned?

You're disagreeing with any of my opinions is pretty obviously ageist though. :rolleyes:
I've got no idea how old you are and don't GAS 😘.

She has done well for herself, there is no doubting that.
Questioning her value as a PAFC board member is neither misogynistic or ageist.

I'd actually challenge you to outline what it is that Holly does and how it has benefitted the club during her tenure. What are the skills she brings to the table? I'd seriously like to know.

Her own website is full of the type of language used by personal development 'gurus' that is intentionally vague and non-specific. She's in the same ballpark as Tony Robbins (at the top end) and Lucy Bloom (at the other end) where the hype doesn't match the reality.

As I said, I'm open to all sorts of disruptive thinking on management and leadership, I read a lot of content on this stuff as it's part what I do, but I have yet read anything of Holly's that isn't loose ideas from the zeitgeist that have been hobbled together to present herself as a Disruption/Leadership wunderkind.

People making these sorts of statements just reeks of Tall-poppy-syndrome. Having worked with TR, the reality of him FAR exceeds the hype. Perhaps Holly Ransom actually deserves her spot on our Board. As a West Coast barracker, she's clearly not going to be here as a member of the cheer-squad.

Tons of board members and prospective board members have come in for criticism at various times in the past, as have our Chairmen and CEO’s.

Ransom has always faced greater scrutiny as an outsider (West Coast fan), who was handpicked by a razzledazzle Chairman, and whose entire track-record seems to be about making stuffy old white men feel good about themselves at low-risk by ticking inclusivity and corporate modernity boxes.

Did you know she had a chat with Obama?!
Chairmen and CEOs have sufficient exposed form to us plebs for some judgement to be passed. Cardone's been flogged, but only for a real COI, not for his capabilities.

Of course I've read those threads. Haven't read about his perceived incompetence on zero evidence in those same threads however.

You don't seem to be able to follow a conversation thread very well. You were suggesting that Holly Ransom is the only board member whose value is being questioned, which is clearly false.

Besides, I don't think anyone has accused her of being incompetent. More that her contribution is unclear and that her skillsets are either not being utlised, or perhaps not even valuable to a football club.

You don't seem to be able to follow a conversation thread very well. You were suggesting that Holly Ransom is the only board member whose value is being questioned, which is clearly false.

Besides, I don't think any one has accused her of being incompetent. More that her contribution is unclear and that her skillsets are either not being utlised, or perhaps not even valuable to a football club.
Nah, I'm following well. My post was about people questioning Holly's capabilities. I noted Cardone's conflict. And CEOs and chairmen clearly are not equivalent to other board members.

And no-one was implying Holly is incompetent? That's pretty disingenuous.

Perhaps Holly Ransom actually deserves her spot on our Board. As a West Coast barracker, she's clearly not going to be here as a member of the cheer-squad.

Perhaps she does.

I find it telling the the people in this thread defending her have yet to even put forward hypotheticals on her contribution or value to the club.

DAVID KOCH - CHAIRMAN

Profession:
Co-host, Sunrise (Channel 7);
Executive Chairman, Pinstripe Media
Chairman, Port Adelaide Football Club (2012 – current)
Director, Port Adelaide Football Club (2012 - current)
Patron, Koch Centre for Youth and Learning
Chairman, Ausbiz

KEVIN OSBORN - DEPUTY CHAIRMAN

Profession:
Company Director
Deputy Chairman, Port Adelaide Football Club (2011 – current)
Director, Port Adelaide Football Club (2011 – current)
Chairman, VUCA Pty Ltd
Chairman, Beerenberg Farm Advisory Board
Director, Accounting Professional and Ethical Standards Board
Chairman, Fisher Graham Limited
Director, Nut Producers Australia
Chairman, Osada Pty Ltd
Fellow, former board member, Australian Institute of Company Directors
Fellow Institute of Public Accountants

COS CARDONE

Profession:
Chief Executive Officer, McGuire Media
Director, Port Adelaide Football Club (2012 – current)
Master of Business Administration, University of South Australia
European School of Advanced Management - Aarhus University, Denmark
Director, Thoroughbred Racing (2018 - current)

HOLLY RANSOM

Profession:
Chief Executive Officer, Emergent
Director, Port Adelaide Football Club (2016 - current)
Co-Founder and Director, Energy Disruptors
Director, Hudson
Director, Porter Davis
Director, Shaw+Smith
Chair, Pride Cup Australia
Advisory Board Member, Victorian Police Commissioner’s Corporate Advisory Group
Chair, G20 Youth Summit, 2014

JAMIE RESTAS

Profession:
Corporate Lawyer; Partner and National Head of Corporate, HWL Ebsworth Lawyers
Director - Port Adelaide Football Club (2012 – current)
Director - Power Community Limited (2012 - current)
Chair - PAFC Governance and Integrity Committee
Director - Adelaide Botanic Gardens and State Herbarium (2015 – current)
Member, Law Society of South Australia

DARREN CAHILL

Profession:
Tennis coach & Analyst (ESPN)
Director, Port Adelaide Football Club (2019 - current)
Director, World Tennis Challenge (2009 - 2014)
Analyst, ESPN 2007 - current
Coach, Lleyton Hewitt (1994 - 2001)
Coach, Andre Agassi (2002 - 2006)
Coach, Simona Halep (2015 - Current)
Coach, Adidas High Performance Team (2008 - 2015)
Coach, Australian Davis Cup Team (2007 - 2008)
Player, Australian Davis Cup Team (1988 - 1991)
Player, Seoul Olympic Games (1988)
Captain, Australian World Team Cup (2001)
Captain, Australian World Youth Cup (1996)

GAVIN WANGANEEN

Profession:
Professional Artist, Ambassador
Director, Port Adelaide Football Club 2019 - current
Essendon and Port Adelaide Football Club Player (1990-2006)
Essendon and Port Adelaide Football Club Life Member
Port Adelaide Football Club AFL Captain (1997 - 2000)
2x AFL Premiership player (1993 & 2004)
Brownlow Medallist (1993)
AFL Hall of Fame Member

ANDREW DAY

Profession: Non-Executive Director

Non-Executive Director Port Adelaide Football Club - current
CEO and Board experience across multiple Industry sectors incl Telecommunications, Sales and Marketing, Online Technologies and Investment & Asset Management
Business partnerships across Asia incl China, Japan, Korea and India
CEO/Director experience across Australia, NZ, Europe, Asia, US and South Africa

KATHY NAGLE

Profession:
Chief Executive Officer, Western HospitalDirector,
Port Adelaide Football Club
Director of Lakeside Retirement Inc
Director of St Michaels College Pty Ltd
Chair of The Australian Council on Healthcare Standards State Advisory Committee
Registered Nurse RN with the Australian Health Practitioners Regulation Authority AHPRA
Member of the College of Nursing Australia MCNA
Member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors MAICD
Member of the Australian Private Hospitals Association APHA SA Branch

CHRISTINE ZEITZ

Profession:
General Manager, Asia Pacific, Northrop Grumman Corporation
Director, Port Adelaide Football Club
Board Member, SBS 2018 - current
Member, Centre for Defence Industry Capability 2017 - current
Member, Adelaide Festival Trust (2019-2021)
Member, Economic Advisory Board to the Premier of South Australia (2018-2021)
Member, The Institute for Regional Security (2016-2019)
Council Member, Flinders University (2011-2019)

The board members I question
David Koch - Constantly. Has some good points, has a lot of negatives as well
Cos Cardone. Eddie's Bitch. Unbelievable he's there
Holly Ransom - As others have pointed out, what exactly does she do?
Gavin Wanganeen - Gav just isn't particularly bright. His CV lists him as a Professional Artist. That's it.
Kathy Neagle - Not sure her healthcare industry leadership and experience is particularly helpful to us. I could be wrong on this.

That's pretty much half the board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back