THE BOARD. PAFC DIRECTORS. Why? Just why? šŸ˜¢

Remove this Banner Ad

Kathy Neagle - Not sure her healthcare industry leadership and experience is particularly helpful to us. I could be wrong on this. ...
Managing budgets and finances, managing and dealing with a broad range of people (sorry, "stakeholders") from unskilled to surgeons, dealing with regulatory bodies, overseeing quality programs and accreditation. All are helpful.

I have a real problem on how these directors are selected and by who. Most of them dont even seem to have any sports or football related background. I thought our club exists to win premierships. On that criteria I have no problem with Gavin Wanganeen or Darren Cahill. I also have no problem with Kochie as he seems a passionate Port man. The others I wouldnt know if I fell over them and I question if they have seen Port play or understand the game at all. The Club would be better run if the directors were chosen by and responsible too the members of the club. My criteria on selection would be 1. Be a die hard Port man or woman. 2. Have experience in high perfomance sports and winning. 3. Be a member of the 1988 port side. 4. Be unfathomably rich.

Having worked with TR, the reality of him FAR exceeds the hype.
I'd be the last person to attend a seminar by a motivational guru, but I watched a documentary on him and it's clear his EQ and ability to connect with people is off the charts. Not surprised that he'd be a phenomenal motivator in person.

Meh. She's a bullshit artist but so are plenty of people in the world. I'm sure we have people in paid positions at the club who add no or neglible value to the organisation but have been able to convince someone somewhere that they do and make a career for themselves out of it (a lot of the sports science types would fit into this category). She's the least of our problems.

Meh. She's a bullshit artist but so are plenty of people in the world. I'm sure we have people in paid positions at the club who add no or neglible value to the organisation but have been able to convince someone somewhere that they do and make a career for themselves out of it (a lot of the sports science types would fit into this category). She's the least of our problems.

1622183119776.png

You don't seem to be able to follow a conversation thread very well. You were suggesting that Holly Ransom is the only board member whose value is being questioned, which is clearly false.

Besides, I don't think anyone has accused her of being incompetent. More that her contribution is unclear and that her skillsets are either not being utlised, or perhaps not even valuable to a football club.
She is the only one that gets attacked just for being on the board, with no clear assessment of her performance as a PAFC board member.

I stay by my original comment. Just a bunch of middle-aged men threatened by the young, intelligent and successful woman.

After all the responses, I stay by my comments.

She is the only one that gets attacked just for being on the board, with no clear assessment of her performance as a PAFC board member.

I stay by my original comment. Just a bunch of middle-aged men threatened by the young, intelligent and successful woman.

Nah * off. I've questioned Wanganeen's spot on the board since day dot (and this was voted by the members). What does he bring to the table? Love Gav as s footballer, but he isn't very smart, he's not a good communicator, he has no real business acumen...I'm struggling to see what he brings at a board level?

....oh s**t, I just remembered he's indigenous, as a middle aged white dude I must be looking at this from a racist point of view....

What is this s**t? Most people on here have hated Cardone, Vanstone and Koch being on the board far more than Ransom and many have given very lengthy reasons as to why.

Cardone (media), Vanstone (politics) and Koch all bring value to the table for Port whereas Holly's resume is about as valid as mine when it comes to being a board member for the club and that's why people on here have a problem. She might have valuable skills but considering her schtick is "disruption and leadership" she's done * all on either front.

I like how you guys talk about Holly Ranson like you actually understand what she does. She might not be your cup of tea, but she's done pretty well for herself at an early age. I am sure we have middle-aged men on our board with similar or fewer skills than she has.

I hate to bring this old chestnut out, but your misogyny and ageism are showing.

I like how you went on this defensive tirade whilst exposing the fact that you don't know what she does either.

Nah fu** off. I've questioned Wanganeen's spot on the board since day dot (and this was voted by the members). What does he bring to the table? Love Gav as s footballer, but he isn't very smart, he's not a good communicator, he has no real business acumen...I'm struggling to see what he brings at a board level?

....oh sh*t, I just remembered he's indigenous, as a middle aged white dude I must be looking at this from a racist point of view....
What proportion of the playing group is indigenous?

You simply donā€™t need 8-10 accountants and lawyers on the board of a relatively small business. Gav being a past player and captain is a better more relevant qualification than half the board bring. We donā€™t need him to be deeply analysing budgets etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I donā€™t care about her role. I just donā€™t think sheā€™s much chip in general. Massive coincidence opportunities opened after some weird jump to being EA to NaB CEO.

As others have pointed out, the performance of many of the board members have been criticised and attacked. Perhaps you can assess her performance based on Koch's statements when she was appointed to the board about what she would bring.

Port chairman David Koch said that Ransom was the perfect candidate to join the club because she could give them a unique insight into an important target market.

"We needed someone who could represent our 15-to-30-year-olds," Koch said.

"More and more clubs need to focus on this digital space and we specifically wanted a young woman ā€“ a millennial.

"They're such a dynamic generation and they think entirely differently to us and they're never represented on AFL boards. Holly has been an extraordinary performer in the disruption industry and the digital industry.

"My goal for us, because we're a little club from Adelaide, is to challenge traditional thinking."

She's been on the board for 5 years. In that time do you think we have improved:

• our connection with the 15-30 y.o. demographic?
  • our championing the cause of women's football?
  • our digital strategy?
  • our disruption of the industry?
  • our challenging of traditional thinking?

I haven't seen much happen in these areas in the last 5 years all of which should be in her wheelhouse. I've seen her promote herself a lot but I've never really seen her promote the club or her views on where we should be heading. Happy for you to provide evidence to the contrary.

tl;dr - Elle Campbell has done more for the PAFC in one week than Holly Ransom has in five years.

Last edited:
Why is there a thread about Holly Ransom and not Ken Hinkley.
You know what, you're right! I'd never thought about it before this post, but now that you mention it, we really should sack Ken Hinkley. Why is nobody talking about this?

But in all seriousness, what does she add to the board?
Hold on... you were all being serious when you said nothing!

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

I have a real problem on how these directors are selected and by who. Most of them dont even seem to have any sports or football related background. I thought our club exists to win premierships. On that criteria I have no problem with Gavin Wanganeen or Darren Cahill. I also have no problem with Kochie as he seems a passionate Port man. The others I wouldnt know if I fell over them and I question if they have seen Port play or understand the game at all. The Club would be better run if the directors were chosen by and responsible too the members of the club. My criteria on selection would be 1. Be a die hard Port man or woman. 2. Have experience in high perfomance sports and winning. 3. Be a member of the 1988 port side. 4. Be unfathomably rich.
It's business. We have coaching staff and recruiters for the football side.
The directors do a pretty good job given our crap financials since 2008

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back