THE BOARD. PAFC DIRECTORS. Why? Just why? 😢

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Reckon a few blokes on here musta swiped left.

(is it swiped left for yes? I dunno, I'm none of single, desirable, experienced in social media dating applications, or up with it (is it up with it or down with it that means 'I understand what is going on'?))

Reckon a few blokes on here musta swiped left.

(is it swiped left for yes? I dunno, I'm none of single, desirable, experienced in social media dating applications, or up with it (is it up with it or down with it that means 'I understand what is going on'?))

677B31D7-132E-4761-8F88-ED302B0DDEBD.jpeg

I don’t know either, I stand where the lightning strikes.

Garibaldi Red

Cancelled
Bring Back the Bars
Jul 22, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Nottingham Forest
If she was half as bold and disruptive as she believes she encourages, she woulda screamed from the rooftops to move Ken on years ago.

A hypocritical board member might be the worst type.

Do as I say, not as I do

It Just Is

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2012
On cloud 9
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Can suck it!
If she was half as bold and disruptive as she believes she encourages, she woulda screamed from the rooftops to move Ken on years ago.

Here in lies the problem with an AFL elected board. It’s fundamentally lacking in football people and therefore not fit for purpose. Ransom is likely ably qualified in disrupting the emoji selection and application but that’s not the core business.

Of the 10 person board, only Cahill and Wanganeen would have any place opining on the dynamics of the football department.

Imagine being in the business of winning premierships with the majority of the board unable, or more dangerously unqualified, to challenge the football department. It should be enshrined in the PAFC constitution the day we get control back from the AFL that 50% of the seats are filled by ex-PAFC football people.

30-40 years ago Holly would have been an academic and maybe been a media tart type, getting her name regularly in the press and electronic media doing interviews. I call my mate the Airport Economist a media tart, so it's not a woman thing.

Oz is a lot more entrepreneurial country these days and the digital revolution means an academic type has lots of platforms to deliver their messages on and have a high profile. And modern day PR spin world is about looking and sounding good before substance.

Nothing wrong with it, especially if you can make a good living out of it, but on the board of my footy club I want substance delivery, not just style.

Holly says on her website - How I’m using my power: I’m passionate about inclusion and the role of tech is where I am focused. In 40 years’ time, I’d like my legacy to be as a leader who is using tech for good, tech for outcomes like shared economic benefits and higher standards of living.

Well I'd like to see Holy use her power and tech contacts to do good for Port. She lists some of her clients as Microsoft, Cisco, Atlassian, Rio Tinto, Procter and Gamble and all their products, etc. Has she introduced people she knows at these organisations to Port? Drive some sort of partnerships? Invited them to a game?

I know she is doing a lot of stuff with AFLW which should assist us greatly when we get a team. But we need more than just good talk for the club at the moment. We need some substance from our board.

Here in lies the problem with an AFL elected board. It’s fundamentally lacking in football people and therefore not fit for purpose. Ransom is likely ably qualified in disrupting the emoji selection and application but that’s not the core business.

Of the 10 person board, only Cahill and Wanganeen would have any place opining on the dynamics of the football department.

Imagine being in the business of winning premierships with the majority of the board unable, or more dangerously unqualified, to challenge the football department. It should be enshrined in the PAFC constitution the day we get control back from the AFL that 50% of the seats are filled by ex-PAFC football people.
Gavin is both elected and football, but as a member of the board he doesn’t / won’t say boo, about anything.

It was a sad day when we lost George Fiacchi as an elected director.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Maybe she was behind disrupting the single captain wearing #1.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Joelg

All Australian
Sep 16, 2012
Woodville
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Nah fu** off. I've questioned Wanganeen's spot on the board since day dot (and this was voted by the members). What does he bring to the table? Love Gav as s footballer, but he isn't very smart, he's not a good communicator, he has no real business acumen...I'm struggling to see what he brings at a board level?

....oh sh*t, I just remembered he's indigenous, as a middle aged white dude I must be looking at this from a racist point of view....
This is offensive. One of the greatest players of all time, makes the board better with his aboriginal heritage/culture and understanding, incredibly well connected across the AFL/Govt and culturally, and most the offensive comment re his intelligence. That is racist, you were correct in your self assessment. Trust me, not only is Gav smart, he is also low ego, cerebral and what a great way to make our board more diverse from a cognitive perspective. Yep- racist and offensive.

Gavin one of the greatest players in the history of the game or a retired Magpies SANFL player? Please give me a break

Last edited:
This is offensive. One of the greatest players of all time, makes the board better with his aboriginal heritage/culture and understanding, incredibly well connected across the AFL/Govt and culturally, and most the offensive comment re his intelligence. That is racist, you were correct in your self assessment. Trust me, not only is Gav smart, he is also low ego, cerebral and what a great way to make our board more diverse from a cognitive perspective. Yep- racist and offensive.

Gavin one of the greatest players in the history of the game or a retired Magpies SANFL player? Please give me a break
Who do you want as your club's senior coach, superstars like Voss/Hird/Buckley or a plodder back pocket like Hardwick/Clarkson?

Turns out that being good at football doesn't necessarily qualify you to be good at anything else.

Joelg

All Australian
Sep 16, 2012
Woodville
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Who do you want as your club's senior coach, superstars like Voss/Hird/Buckley or a plodder back pocket like Hardwick/Clarkson?

Turns out that being good at football doesn't necessarily qualify you to be good at anything else.
I don’t get the anti Gav movement, I was talking about a board member. Not an AFL coach

I don’t get the anti Gav movement, I was talking about a board member. Not an AFL coach
Yeah, and your argument was 'one of the greatest players in the history of the game versus a retired Magpies SANFL player'? Aside from the fact that your argument is extremely disrespectful to 126 years' worth of PAFC champions, Gav being a great footballer has no bearing on whether or not he makes a good board member.

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not everyone on a club board needs to be an intellectual that can wax lyrical in the media, if you have board full of those assholes they quickly lose touch.

lol @ El Zorro accidentally revealing he is Mr. Holly Random. El Zorro mate, we are confused by all the random morons on our board, not just Holly Random. she's just an easy target because she lives in America, supports West Coast and doesn't know who Brendan Lade and Toby Thurstans are.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
So Gav went on that walk with Michael Long and got about 1% of the mentions that Long got.

Was it worth it for him or Essendon? We sure as s**t don't get anything out of it.

As I said elsewhere though, as long as whatever he does is in the name of indigenous issues, it will always get a thumbs and round of applause even when it's not in the best interests of the club he is supposed to serve.

Holly has been given a long article in the SA Weekend magazine. Looks like a 3 pager

At just 31, Holly Ransom has already waxed lyrical with Barack Obama and Richard Branson, co-chaired a G20 youth summit, delivered a peace charter to the Dalai Lama and been touted as a future Australian prime minister.The Port Adelaide Football Club director is chief executive of her own company, has completed two ironman triathlons and is an acclaimed strategist, keynote speaker, columnist and podcaster. She’s overcome depression, is a Harvard Fulbright scholar who has just released her first book, is a regular on television panel shows, broke new ground when appointed as the youngest female board member of an AFL club and is spearheading the Power’s push to enter a team in the AFLW.

She’s a quintessential overachiever. Smart, successful, energetic and multidimensional. But if you had asked her when she was eight what she wanted to do when she grew up, the answer would have been uncomplicated and unequivocal.

“I wanted to be a Brownlow Medallist,” she jokes about her sports-obsessed younger self. “If you look at my Year 3 journal, that was what was in there. I seemed to have had no conception that there wasn’t an AFLW yet.”

Port Adelaide Football Club board member Holly Ransom, far left, as an eight-year-old playing in a boys' team for Claremont Tigers.

Port Adelaide Football Club board member Holly Ransom, far left, as an eight-year-old playing in a boys' team for Claremont Tigers.

There’s more than a touch of synchronicity between that early life goal and her current role at Port Adelaide. She was also on the advisory group that helped steer the AFL towards the creation of the AFLW in 2017. She’s a massive advocate for female participation in the sport – a passion that has its roots in her childhood, when she was the only girl playing for Claremont Tigers in Perth. And then came the devastating moment she was told, aged 10, she was no longer allowed to play. Because she was a girl.

“Probably the most vividly I can remember crying my eyes out as a child was the day I was told I wasn’t allowed to keep playing,” she says. “I moved into all other manner of team sports but never stopped loving AFL – that was always the game that we played every school lunchtime. It was the game we’d kicked around with neighbourhood kids in the afternoon. It was always there.”

YOUNG LEADER
Ransom’s grandparents met in Adelaide and moved to Western Australia soon after they married to set up home in Denmark, in the state’s southwest. Her parents lived in Perth, but Ransom has fond childhood memories of surfing holidays shared with her brothers and cousins in the coastal town, about five hours south of the capital.

JOINING THE POWER
Hence she came to the attention of Port Adelaide chairman David Koch when he was on the hunt for an alternative voice to fill a vacant spot on the Port Adelaide board. Koch gave her a call, the pair had lunch in Melbourne and he asked the former West Coast Eagles supporter if she’d be interested.

LEADING CHANGE
While Ransom dreams of a future with more women at high levels in the AFL, she’s equally passionate about the need for more of all of us, of both genders, to embrace leadership and drive societal change. It’s time, she says, to end the lack of generational, gender and cultural diversity among those who have traditionally controlled and led both communities and countries.

IRON WOMAN
Ransom has been open about her year-long struggle with depression in 2013, a year she says she struggles to remember because of the thick fog that numbed her consciousness. It was the first time she had encountered crippling energy shortages and days of not wanting to get out of bed, and the experience prompted her to re-evaluate some of her choices.

Interesting scarve.

Credit where it's due, she's obviously pitched a winner with the case for getting our AFLW team sooner than expected. I wonder if we worked with the other 4 bids to convince the AFL to bring all in at once?

Credit where it's due, she's obviously pitched a winner with the case for getting our AFLW team sooner than expected. I wonder if we worked with the other 4 bids to convince the AFL to bring all in at once?
Yep get people to do things in what areas they have experience and expertise in. She has been working on AFLW since 2016. It was a no brainer for her to head up the bid team, especially with her being based in Melbourne these days.

Back