THE BOARD. PAFC DIRECTORS. Why? Just why? 😢

Remove this Banner Ad

Well done, Holly. Happy to see this happening - directors carrying out specific tasks properly and responsible for their own projects, plus getting quality in-depth publicity for the Club in the process.

Now, Director Cardone, your turn. What have you done for our Club lately, after nine years?

It Just Is

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2012
On cloud 9
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Can suck it!
I don’t want to always be a downer but we were one of the last 4 clubs to get an AFLW team and had other clubs actively campaigning on our behalf due to the dominance of our cross town rival.

This should be a feather in no-ones cap at the club.

I don’t want to always be a downer but we were one of the last 4 clubs to get an AFLW team and had other clubs actively campaigning on our behalf due to the dominance of our cross town rival.

Oh poo you. I have it as a feather in my cap. Come try take it out.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
Holly has been given a long article in the SA Weekend magazine. Looks like a 3 pager

At just 31, Holly Ransom has already waxed lyrical with Barack Obama and Richard Branson, co-chaired a G20 youth summit, delivered a peace charter to the Dalai Lama and been touted as a future Australian prime minister.The Port Adelaide Football Club director is chief executive of her own company, has completed two ironman triathlons and is an acclaimed strategist, keynote speaker, columnist and podcaster. She’s overcome depression, is a Harvard Fulbright scholar who has just released her first book, is a regular on television panel shows, broke new ground when appointed as the youngest female board member of an AFL club and is spearheading the Power’s push to enter a team in the AFLW.

She’s a quintessential overachiever. Smart, successful, energetic and multidimensional. But if you had asked her when she was eight what she wanted to do when she grew up, the answer would have been uncomplicated and unequivocal.

“I wanted to be a Brownlow Medallist,” she jokes about her sports-obsessed younger self. “If you look at my Year 3 journal, that was what was in there. I seemed to have had no conception that there wasn’t an AFLW yet.”

Port Adelaide Football Club board member Holly Ransom, far left, as an eight-year-old playing in a boys' team for Claremont Tigers.' team for Claremont Tigers.

Port Adelaide Football Club board member Holly Ransom, far left, as an eight-year-old playing in a boys' team for Claremont Tigers.

There’s more than a touch of synchronicity between that early life goal and her current role at Port Adelaide. She was also on the advisory group that helped steer the AFL towards the creation of the AFLW in 2017. She’s a massive advocate for female participation in the sport – a passion that has its roots in her childhood, when she was the only girl playing for Claremont Tigers in Perth. And then came the devastating moment she was told, aged 10, she was no longer allowed to play. Because she was a girl.

“Probably the most vividly I can remember crying my eyes out as a child was the day I was told I wasn’t allowed to keep playing,” she says. “I moved into all other manner of team sports but never stopped loving AFL – that was always the game that we played every school lunchtime. It was the game we’d kicked around with neighbourhood kids in the afternoon. It was always there.”

YOUNG LEADER
Ransom’s grandparents met in Adelaide and moved to Western Australia soon after they married to set up home in Denmark, in the state’s southwest. Her parents lived in Perth, but Ransom has fond childhood memories of surfing holidays shared with her brothers and cousins in the coastal town, about five hours south of the capital.

JOINING THE POWER
Hence she came to the attention of Port Adelaide chairman David Koch when he was on the hunt for an alternative voice to fill a vacant spot on the Port Adelaide board. Koch gave her a call, the pair had lunch in Melbourne and he asked the former West Coast Eagles supporter if she’d be interested.

LEADING CHANGE
While Ransom dreams of a future with more women at high levels in the AFL, she’s equally passionate about the need for more of all of us, of both genders, to embrace leadership and drive societal change. It’s time, she says, to end the lack of generational, gender and cultural diversity among those who have traditionally controlled and led both communities and countries.

IRON WOMAN
Ransom has been open about her year-long struggle with depression in 2013, a year she says she struggles to remember because of the thick fog that numbed her consciousness. It was the first time she had encountered crippling energy shortages and days of not wanting to get out of bed, and the experience prompted her to re-evaluate some of her choices.
Read like a plug piece for her new book. Good luck to her.

The one new thing I got out of the article is that she claims to no longer be a West Coast supporter.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks

Credit where credit is due, we put in a lot of effort to get that participation award.

Credit where credit is due, we put in a lot of effort to get that participation award.
We did indeed. And we put in a lot of effort in China. Both are feathers in our cap.

This is a Club of which to be very proud.

Anyone who sez otherwise can meet me out the back.

I’ll be the one wearing two feathers.

1629022877747.jpeg

“being a beginner” is my chosen chuckle

It’s the conceptual level of year 8/9 high school. Teaching young students about how to grow. I can’t believe that there are corporate level bods who swallow this type of stuff.

Relaxation is in the comfort zone? You don’t say? (Nic Cage face)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1238098

Over to you, Disruptormus Prime.

I wonder if Ken will try and get out of his comfort zone next year and try and get through a game without a coke? This would definitely fit into being "brave" and "courage". Alternatively he may consider dropping coke zero for vanilla coke. This would tick "things I've never tried" and "risk"

Just thinking about these choices Ken has, has me pumped about what 2022 may bring.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
I wonder if Ken will try and get out of his comfort zone next year and try and get through a game without a coke? This would definitely fit into being "brave" and "courage". Alternatively he may consider dropping coke zero for vanilla coke. This would tick "things I've never tried" and "risk"

Just thinking about these choices Ken has, has me pumped about what 2022 may bring.
He should just grow up and get some Pepsi Max, though that's probably seen as a bit of a risky drink to him. Bit of an unknown brand.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Wanga's is stepping down from the board. Maybe Tex is gonna be picked up by Essendon.

From the Notice of AGM email today.

Notice is hereby given that the AGM of the Port Adelaide Football Club will be held on Friday 18th February 2022 commencing at 6.00pm at a venue TBA.

Nominations
are called from 2021 Port Adelaide Football Club financial members for one (1) position on the Board of Directors for a 3-year term.

Incumbent member-elect director Gavin Wanganeen, the first Indigenous director of an AFL Club, has decided to step away from the Board commitment after a 3 year term to spend more time on his business interests and growing family.

Wanganeen, one of Port Adelaide’s greatest ever players and the inaugural AFL Captain, will continue to serve on Port Adelaide’s football committee and as an ambassador of the club’s Community and Aboriginal programs.

Nominations for the position on the Board of Directors must be delivered to the Returning Officer in the manner described on the Nomination Form no later than 5:00pm ACDT on Wednesday 8th December 2021.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back