THE BOARD. PAFC DIRECTORS. Why? Just why? 😢

Remove this Banner Ad

There was a post above that mentioned that members do not have access to Board minutes. Can I ask why not?
Why should we?

Shareholders of publicly listed companies don't generally have access to board meeting minutes.

There was a post above that mentioned that members do not have access to Board minutes. Can I ask why not?
Because club members are not Members of the company under the constitution. Members = Directors and they are the only ones who get access to them.

Because club members are not Members of the company under the constitution. Members = Directors and they are the only ones who get access to them.

I am not sure rank and file Members have ever had direct access to minutes but I do recall seeing some old minute books once. They were stored in the old Boardroom in a glass fronted cupboard. Then again we didn't really need access to minutes because the Committee Members circulated before and after games and we could ask questions. I am not sure we always got straight answers but there was always a feeling of accessibility. I guess with the amount of success we had back then there were never really that many questions to ask.

As I posted previously I unashamedly want something I cannot have but a peek at the minutes would be nice. I would love to know how the Member Elected Directors voted on a couple of issues. ;)

I've never met Holly Ransom, but do know people who have utilised her services.
The common feedback is that her business is about one thing only: the elevation of her own personal brand.

As others have noted, her rise through the business community ranks has been part 'who-you-know-not-what-you-know' and part 'right-place-right-time-right-type'. She uses key words in her dialogue and marketing material like 'millennial' 'disruption' 'future' 'leadership' like she's only just read a book about SEO and how to game the system. Those tactics went out the door ten years ago.

She's obviously a very intelligent person and has charisma and self-belief through the wazoo, but that doesn't mean she offers anything of value to the club.

On her website, she describes herself as a "leading disruption strategist" and offers insights like...

"Emergent theory refers to value creation above and beyond the sum total of the parts, when the friction and fusion of ideas, behaviors and systems become propelled by their own momentum. Emergent practice challenges leaders and organizations to rethink their core competitive advantage for the future, uniquely synchronizing existing material, cognitive and technology-based assets to activate the strategy, governance frameworks and team buy-in to lead impending disruption. Holly believes the moment to discuss and debate the ‘future of work’ is gone. Instead, Emergent works with organizations who understand the ‘future’ is now."

...it reads as the type of tripe that comes out of people like Tony Robbins and other self-proclaimed leadership consultants.
With that straight-out-of-1999 buzzword bingo mess she comes across as a millenial appetising for the older generations (read - the board room) who cut their teeth in industry when this chat was common. She has the look, age and credentials that investors would like, yet can shoot meaningless jargon with the best of the establishment.

Clearly has a knack for upwards management but her ability to empathise with, understand and represent actual millenials should be very much in question, as these abilities would be almost irrelevant to her success to date.

People may say it's just a throwaway paragraph on a bio but such meaningless business-babble is in direct conflict with the millenial working directive to be more meaningful, less naive/loyal, cut through the crap and established way of doing things, and desire to feel like their work is making a difference as opposed to being a small cog in a large capitalist corporation. She is the Lumbergh to the millenials' Peter Gibbons.

My totally uninformed view is her role on the board is not as a millenial advisor, but as a schmoozer, a vital role in any transaction or business partnership. She gets wheeled out at meet and greets and to prospective sponsors, charms with her charisma, impressive resume and business babble, PAFC look progressive and sharp by association, and once the target is sufficiently warmed up our closers follow up.

Our board has 10 positions and should be diverse and containing many skill sets, if this is hers and she's good at it then she's fulfilling a valued duty and there's a role for her. But it's not as a millenial advisor.

"Emergent theory refers to value creation above and beyond the sum total of the parts, when the friction and fusion of ideas, behaviors and systems become propelled by their own momentum. Emergent practice challenges leaders and organizations to rethink their core competitive advantage for the future, uniquely synchronizing existing material, cognitive and technology-based assets to activate the strategy, governance frameworks and team buy-in to lead impending disruption."
That is so f*cking awful that it can only be redeemed by Hinkley quoting it in his post-match presser as an explanation of our game plan after we lose to Norf on the weekend.

"Emergent will make you better by making you think 'Why the * are we paying these people for when we're the ones actually coming up with all these ideas?'"

Come on, OGC you can do better than that. The obvious question is how does our learned friend know that OAK is riding off into the partnership sunset.
I’m a bit off my game at the moment LR. I should have asked him that as he seems certain he knows the ins and outs of everything.
Told ya ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you have a quote or link? Had a brief look but no luck
Doesn’t surprise me.

Adelaide Oval hate the Power even though they were the club behind the push to move to AO.

The Port board is a mess at the moment, they’re mainly just a bunch of AFL plants that are there to appease City Hall and their puppet Kochie.

The club thought that they would play to their “identity” and bring in Cahill and Wanganeen, but that’s just caused even more factional in-fighting which has now spilled over to the football department.

There are people on that board that are only there purely for their CV and these same people are now pulling rank on others.

Cahill raised a motion to have KT removed, and was out-voted in a landslide because they didn’t want to upset the apple cart and disrupt key people within the football department (which is already in tatters) who are loyal to KT and that it would in-turn force their hand on Hinkley (who they had already committed to keeping on because of his substantial payout).

C4 sounds optimistic that change will occur, for the eventual good of the club hopefully.
Good on Cahill for sticking his neck out.

Whoever it is; They want to give some power back to the members, the only problem is that they don’t have enough major financial backers onboard yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back