THE BOARD. PAFC DIRECTORS. Why? Just why? 😢

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
SHIFTING THE POSTS
Sam Newman describes himself as a “fossil”. The Geelong hero has rallied against constant rule changes in Australian football more than most.

But Newman is prepared to endorse one rule change to spare us from any more debate on the workings of AFL score reviews.

Newman has declared: “I think it’s about time the AFL changed the rule that if the ball goes through the goals — the two major posts — for any reason, it’s a goal. Why not?”

Australian football has been here before. There were the trials during the pre-season series for any kick — even those coming off the posts — being recorded as goals if they crossed the goal-line or “play on” if they bounced off the post to return to the playing field.
I don't get the connection to the board of the PAFC. Is Sam Newman about to be appointed to our board?

Anyone know who yet? Article from The Mercury but paywall.
View attachment 702117
This bit was more interesting than the director news.

I noticed at the ground on Saturday night that Charlie tossed the coin before the game and wondered why he was doing so. Below says why but just maybe, we have been talking to him and his brothers about the ACE at Alberton.

GUEST SPEAKER
It is a tough room to command — the Ian McLachlan Room on the eastern side of Adelaide Oval — during the Port Adelaide Football Club pre-game “Before the Bounce” function.

And it was a brave choice by the Power to have as a guest speaker CHARLIE SHAHIN, the Palestinian refugee who has created his empire in South Australia with the Peregrine Corporation that is best known for the On The Run franchises and the motor racing track at Tailem Bend.

But without notes, Shahin held the room in his hand — and in silence — as he spoke of multicultural issues in Australia … and proved that Australian football can be the right platform to discuss social issues.

Shahin’s tale of the folly of Australia’s racial vilification laws — in particular the account of how fortune tellers in Canberra are more likely to be charged for criminal offences than those creating racial hate — certainly left a mark. As Port Adelaide’s China engagement boss Andrew Hunter described it, Shahin’s speech was “powerful”.

Rigs

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don't get the connection to the board of the PAFC. Is Sam Newman about to be appointed to our board?

My apologies - i inserted the wrong quote

TIP OF THE WEEK
Expect a change to the Port Adelaide Football Club board as one director moves on to a major South Australian project. This could allow Jack Oatey Medallist and club Hall of Famer GEORGE FIACCHI to return to the boardroom at Alberton after losing his seat in a members’ vote in January when Brownlow Medallist Gavin Wanganeen was favoured by the faithful.

Shahin’s company would surely be better known for Smokemart over its duration, but I guess that muddies the image
Nope those smokers are probably dead. Given you can't drive more than about 2km with out hitting one of their 120 odd OTR's in greater Adelaide, that and The Bend is what their name recognition revolves around these days.

Nope those smokers are probably dead.
*thinks about smokers I know who shopped at Smokemart*

Yeah, accurate.

Good thing they worked out how to keep the supply going through a friendlier outlet

Sep 20, 2007
Dungeon
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Nope those smokers are probably dead. Given you can't drive more than about 2km with out hitting one of their 120 odd OTR's in greater Adelaide, that and The Bend is what there name recognition revolves around these days.
Certainly these days but where that money came from, and the legality of it, are the ongoing subject of rumour and conjecture.

Certainly these days but where that money came from, and the legality of it, are the ongoing subject of rumour and conjecture.
And even the start up monies in the 1980's has a lot of conjecture about it. They did apparently take a big advantage of the different tobacco excise rates around the country, before the High Court in mid 1997 ruled state excise duties on tobacco and fuels as constitutionally invalid.

Sep 20, 2007
Dungeon
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
And even the start up monies in the 1980's has a lot of conjecture about it. They did apparently take a big advantage of the different tobacco excise rates around the country, before the High Court in mid 1997 ruled state excise duties on tobacco and fuels as constitutionally invalid.
Yes. Parallel importing also (allegedly).

Yes. Parallel importing also (allegedly).
I suspect the High Court decision was big reason why they got out of smokes and into petrol stations. Owing petrol stations is a bit like McDonald's. There is more money to be made in owning the property than running the service business on that property.

So if the Shanins come on board ( ie not on the board as a director) and financially support the building of the ACE and/or the general Alberton Oval precinct redevelopment, which board member had a hand in this?? Or was it one of the executives?

Last edited:
Not sure I'm altogether pleased about having one of the Shahins on our board.

They have a terrible reputation regarding their employment practices.

Do they make the community proud?

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Rucci:

TIP OF THE WEEK
Expect a change to the Port Adelaide Football Club board as one director moves on to a major South Australian project. This could allow Jack Oatey Medallist and club Hall of Famer GEORGE FIACCHI to return to the boardroom at Alberton after losing his seat in a members’ vote in January when Brownlow Medallist Gavin Wanganeen was favoured by the faithful.
With our current luck it'd be pick the most competent director and they'll be off.

NoddyHolder

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2014
Tralfamadore
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Rucci:

TIP OF THE WEEK
Maybe Mandy Van has been given a plumb job by the state liberal government that will take up all her time

Maybe Mandy Van has been given a plumb job by the state liberal government that will take up all her time
“We couldn’t give Crows AND Port $20 million but would you accept a strictly personal benefit worth a percentage of that?”

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I believe it was the late Fred Shahin who started Smokemart, and began the On the Run service station empire, so I am assuming Charlie is his son.

There has been quite a bit of negative stuff going around the traps about that company for some time, from the treatment of their employees, to the potential funding of some very questionable overseas organisations, and if there is even the slightest chance any of it is true I wouldn't want them anywhere near my football club.

Shahin’s company would surely be better known for Smokemart over its duration, but I guess that muddies the image

Hey Smokemart was an idealistic business for me. How smart, set up this smoke store chain add additional side items, grew an empire from, heinous, even if the product was s**t (taking morals out)

Yeah I don't want any Shahins at Port Adelaide please and thankyou. Aren't we supposed to be a working class club?

Why wouldn’t you want smart, hard, business people at your club. That type of persona most likely wouldn’t have extended Hinkleys contract, most likely would have sacked him.

Now I don’t want a whole board like that, but that view is important.

If Shahin and his dirty PLO money come anywhere near our club, I'm out for good.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Best we stay away from racist innuendo.

Tell me a big business that doesn’t have a bad employee issue that gets out. Are they perfect most likely not, are they financially successful it would appear so.

Unless we know both sides of a story initimately I suggest we avoid gossip innuendo. If your a disgruntled employee sorry you suffered.

I’d be happy with their expertise on our board. There’s a couple of others I’ve seen in action who would be handy at that level too.

Shame I lost out to good mate Trevor

My apologies - i inserted the wrong quote

TIP OF THE WEEK

Rucci is on the money for once, at least partly, and the rest is speculation.

My own hope is that any prospective new board member has solid practical China experience.

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

Back