THE BOARD. PAFC DIRECTORS. Why? Just why? 😢

Can't remember a Wimbledon winner heaping more praise on their ex coach at their post match on court interview.

Keep this man and use his skill set for years Ports.

Last edited:
Famed junior coach and preparer of lots of champions and no.1 ranked players at his Tennis Academy in Florida in their junior years, and tune ups in their senior years, Nick Bollettieri, wrote the following in the UK Independent yesterday, after Halep's win.

Holy smoke! Has a woman ever moved better on a grass court than Simona Halep did in her victory over Serena Williams in the Wimbledon final on Saturday? I’m not sure that I can think of anyone who has covered the ground in the way that Halep did. ......... The speed with which Halep moved reminded me a little bit of the way that Lleyton Hewitt used to cover the court, though I’m not sure that Hewitt came up with as many great shots on the run as Halep did.
I think Serena may have been a little nervous, but I wonder if she was also surprised at the way Halep came at her. To be blunt, I don’t think whether she was nervous or not made a dime of difference to the outcome. It was great tennis for the world to see.

A lot of credit has to go to Darren Cahill, who was Halep’s coach until he decided at the end of last year that he wanted to spend more time with his family. He helped her mentally to become a champion. I remember speaking to the two of them at the US Open and it was clear to me then how he had helped her to believe that she’s a winner.

I watched Halep destroy Serena, I've never seen Serena outplayed so much at a grand slam, not even by Venus, who after being 0-4 down in the first set, hit the ball as hard as I have seen a women hit it, to try to counter punch Halep and try and put her off her game, and I thought at the time, how much of this is the famed Cahill family tactic of talking up their pupil and telling them to give it all in a big final - and believe they are good enough to beat anyone. Halep has capitulated in the past when the pressure was on. Not this time.

Darren Cahill is known as Killer Cahill in the tennis world. We need his Killer instincts on the board and around the club like never before, at the moment.

Last edited:
Can anyone who is in the know shed any light on when this new board announcement is going to be made? I'm very keen to hear who it is!! We desperately need change on the board.
Search on BF for the Autopsy thread: ‘Up The China Rabbit-hole - The TV Docudrama Series’ and read up on a character called ‘Daryl Ander’.

The Burger King

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Who actually controls the board?

How many are just stacks? And who controls the stacks?

That social media influencer is a West Coast fan isn't she? Wanganeen doesn't even know why he is there.

Who actually controls the board?

How many are just stacks? And who controls the stacks?

That social media influencer is a West Coast fan isn't she? Wanganeen doesn't even know why he is there.
Koch controls the board.

This is not going to continue, I promise.

Having exchanged texts with the Club, these new profiles - plus one new name - are finally on the PAFC Board website page:

DARREN CAHILL - DIRECTOR
Profession: Tennis coach & Analyst (ESPN)
Director, Port Adelaide Football Club 2019 - current
Director, World Tennis Challenge 2009 - 2014
Member, Australian Institute of Company Directors - current
Analyst, ESPN 2007 - current
Coach, Lleyton Hewitt 1994 - 2001
Coach, Andre Agassi 2002 - 2006
Coach, Simona Halep 2015 - 2018
Coach, Adidas High Performance Team 2008 - 2015
Coach, Australian Davis Cup Team 2007 - 2008
Player, Australian Davis Cup Team 1988 - 1991
Player, Seoul Olympic Games 1988
Captain, Australian World Team Cup 2001
Captain, Australian World Youth Cup 1996

ANDREW DAY - DIRECTOR
Profession: Non Executive Director
Non Executive Director Port Adelaide Football Club - current
CEO and Board experience across multiple Industry sectors incl Telecommunications, Sales and Marketing, Online Technologies and Investment & Asset Management
Business partnerships across Asia incl China, Japan, Korea, Phillipines and India
CEO/Director experience across Australia, NZ, Europe, Asia, US and South Africa
Non Executive Director Stellar BPO – current

GAVIN WANGANEEN - DIRECTOR
Profession: Business Owner and Ambassador
Essendon and Port Adelaide Football Club Player (1990-2006)
Essendon and Port Adelaide Football Club Life Member
Port Adelaide Football Club AFL Captain (1997 - 2000)
2x AFL Premiership player (1993 & 2004)
Brownlow Medallist (1993)
AFL Hall of Fame Member

So when does Andrew Day get announced to the world?. Surprised they didn't put down he is an electrical engineer by training before moving off to management , CEO and board room duties.

Oct 5, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
There are no other teams
Having exchanged texts with the Club, these new profiles - plus one new name - are finally on the PAFC Board website page:

DARREN CAHILL - DIRECTOR

ANDREW DAY - DIRECTOR
CEO and Board experience across multiple Industry sectors incl Telecommunications, Sales and Marketing, Online Technologies and Investment & Asset Management
Business partnerships across Asia incl China, Japan, Korea, Phillipines and India

AFL Hall of Fame Member
Cahill's and Day's resumes read like having some of the exact qualities and experience we have needed at the club for a very long time. Cahill has succeed at the elite level of sport over a sustained period of time- he knows how to create winners. It's what makes me believe Koch was lying when he said Cahill was a part of the group that endorsed co-captains.

Day's Asian business connections sound very promising, but more so, I'm excited by his experience in Sales and Marketing, and Investment/Asset management. Someone needs to make China pay because we don't appear to be making a thing!

As for Wanganeen, well he can football.

Aug 16, 2009
Dubai
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Manchester United Portland Timbers

DARREN CAHILL - DIRECTOR

ANDREW DAY - DIRECTOR

AFL Hall of Fame Member

One of our Directors is clearly not like the others......
As much as we all clamour to have more control of the board I fear that we would end up with an ex-player popularity contest.....

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

One of our Directors is clearly not like the others......
As much as we all clamour to have more control of the board I fear that we would end up with an ex-player popularity contest.....

There is a place for ex players on the board of a football club. Whether Wanganeen is the right guy for that is the more pertinent question.

Aug 16, 2009
Dubai
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
There is a place for ex players on the board of a football club. Whether Wanganeen is the right guy for that is the more pertinent question.

Agree totally - I just don't see what else he brings.
Guys like Fiacchi and Wakelin (just popular examples) seem to have more visible strings to their bow.

Did anyone catch Wanganeen on SEN last week? When he was talking about Port it was all 'they' and no 'we'. It's not a big deal it just stuck me as odd that a current board member would say 'they' instead of 'we'.
I heard that interview and remember him say 'they' as well. Didn't really think about much at the time, as was on in the background, but yeah it should be we.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
Agree totally - I just don't see what else he brings.
Guys like Fiacchi and Wakelin (just popular examples) seem to have more visible strings to their bow.
If he's there as an ex-player isn't that what he brings? In that area he has it over Fiacchi and Wakelin in spades.

Those two have better non-football credentials than Wangas but that is not the point of having an ex-player on the board. There's plenty of business experience already on the board.

Aug 16, 2009
Dubai
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
If he's there as an ex-player isn't that what he brings? In that area he has it over Fiacchi and Wakelin in spades.

Those two have better non-football credentials than Wangas but that is not the point of having an ex-player on the board. There's plenty of business experience already on the board.

I get your point and for a board running a club in a minor league that is probably fine.
AFL clubs are now a business, whilst having people with a football background is important, our directors need to have more than that for us to move forward.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I think on a 10 person board there's room for a couple of ex-Players to balance (what should be) a diverse range of experience in marketing, finance, etc. Wanganeen under that criteria, given how much we do in the Indigenous space and how poorly ex-players of Indigenous backgrounds are represented across the AFL industry as a whole is a good choice. It's just annoying the club timed his run as a blatant move to get rid of Fiacchi, someone not a fan of Koch and enough self-confidence and around long enough to stand up to him during this time when the club is desperately trying to expectation manage the fans into forgiving / approving of all their mistakes.

I think what you're looking for in an ex player as a board member is football leadership, driving of standards, a ruthless Port Adelaide streak. You're looking for the type of guys that hold the cultural torch from generation to generation. Guys like Ginever, Fiacchi, Tredrea, etc, fit this mould.

Wanganeen was a superstar, a gifted and courageous player who played football exactly the way a Port Adelaide player should. But he's an introvert and was never comfortable as captain of the club. The ex player on our board needs to be a much stronger personality than him IMO.

I think what you're looking for in an ex player as a board member is football leadership, driving of standards, a ruthless Port Adelaide streak. You're looking for the type of guys that hold the cultural torch from generation to generation. Guys like Ginever, Fiacchi, Tredrea, etc, fit this mould.

Wanganeen was a superstar, a gifted and courageous player who played football exactly the way a Port Adelaide player should. But he's an introvert and was never comfortable as captain of the club. The ex player on our board needs to be a much stronger personality than him IMO.
You want a Jason Dunstall type on the board. Knew the game, communicated with the football department in their language but had skills outside purely understanding football. He has some basic business skills as well as understood the media and was good enough to be interim CEO for almost a year.

Ross Haslam was that for Port between 2012 and 2019. An ex player, business skills, knew corporate SA leaders. Only problem was he was a bit long term out of the game to have that closer connection. If you can get someone who retired about 10 maybe 15 years ago and has gone and been successful in business, then that's a better fit.

Dom Cassisi is CEO of his small finance firm. If in 5 years time its grown to 40 or 50 people, and Ken is no longer at the club, ie he doesn't have that personal mates relationship with the head coach, he could be a good candidate for a board seat to fill that role to connect the board to the footy department.

Oct 5, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
There are no other teams
You want a Jason Dunstall type on the board. Knew the game, communicated with the football department in their language but had skills outside purely understanding football. He has some basic business skills as well as understood the media and was good enough to be interim CEO for almost a year.

Ross Haslam was that for Port between 2012 and 2019. An ex player, business skills, knew corporate SA leaders. Only problem was he was a bit long term out of the game to have that closer connection. If you can get someone who retired about 10 maybe 15 years ago and has gone and been successful in business, then that's a better fit.

Dom Cassisi is CEO of his small finance firm. If in 5 years time its grown to 40 or 50 people, and Ken is no longer at the club, ie he doesn't have that personal mates relationship with the head coach, he could be a good candidate for a board seat to fill that role to connect the board to the footy department.
Also another name that Koch mentioned as being responsible for the co-captain decision.

Back