Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
This issue will grow legs so thought I’d start a thread.

Did you boo or did you restrain yourself? Why/why not?

I’m not a ‘booer’ as a rule but I wasn’t sure how to express my annoyance as the siren went. I wanted to let those officiating know that their performance was substandard. But I restrained myself when the presentations started. I reckon there is a real lack of insight from supporters to amp it up when Pendles got the medal. It’s an emotional game and this stuff will inevitably surface but in a calmer reflective hindsight I’m sure many would see their booing as highly disrespectful on such a privileged stage.

There’s no doubt that if the umpiring weren’t a factor there would’ve been next to no booing. I think this is something that the general public should take into account... but probably won’t...

I left the minute the final siren went in disgust so I wasn’t even remotely aware of it until a bit later.

It’s not been my style to boo like that so I doubt I would have done it had I still been there. But I also personally couldn’t care less and the extent of the still predictable outrage about it rather bemuses me.

As a Passiionate pies fan i will say a fan pays his money he should be allowed to booo. The afl is trying to turn us in to robots its crazy.
However just on this circumstance its the ANZAC medal i totally agree with no booing at all, for coaches players.Both teams before and after the game during the game yes, just on this occasion only. Need to show total respect for past present and dead serviceman.

Last edited:
Was directed at the Umpires just didn’t help that Pendles flopped at the end of the game.
Umpires had well and truly departed. Pendles copped the brunt of it. I know it was a flow-on from the umpiring but it wasn’t our best moment as a collective.

most Essendon supporters had already left.

it was mostly Collingwood supporters booing and I’m sure jeff kennett would back me up on this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This non-issue will only grow legs if its discussed. Lets not add to it.
It’s going be an issue regardless. I agree it’s going to be overblown. This thread will add little to that other than to give our perspective. But, if the mods think it counterproductive they can delete. I have no problem with that.

Umpires had well and truly departed. Pendles copped the brunt of it. I know it was a flow-on from the umpiring but it wasn’t our best moment as a collective.

People pay their money they can boo and cheer all they like as long as it’s nothing more than that it’s fine. Such a non story to deter what the booing was really about.

I didn’t boo, but I never do anyway. The people around me were all yelling about umpires, then they’re booing every decision and nondecision in the last quarter. Then they booed through the Collingwood song and we could barely hear it. Then Hamish McLachlan got up and they booed. And then Pendlebury got up and they booed. And then the trophy presentation and they booed so loud I don’t even know who was at the microphone at that point and couldn’t hear what they were saying.

We didn’t lose this game from umpiring. But it sure made it a hell of a lot more frustrating to watch.

Not sure what part of that was about Pendlebury in any specific sense, at least not around where I was sitting.

As a Passiionate pies fan i will say a fan pays his money he should be allowed to booo. The afl i trying to turn us in to robots its crazy.
However just on this circumstance its the ANZAC medal i totally agree with no booing at all, just on this occasion only.
Yep agree. The booing should've stopped for the presentation because before it sounded like we were booing Pendlebury, it sounded like we were booing the RSL and service men & women. Then Pendlebury gets up and thanks both sets of supporters...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back