Opinion The Booing of Pendlebury

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sarcasm noted and you were shafted by the umpires but surely the booing of umpires stops when they leave the field?
To persist with the booing during the ceremony and speeches , particularly when the head of the RSL is presenting the medal to a worthy recipient is tasteless and self entitled.
Surely it's not too much to park your understandable frustration and respect the final part of the Anzac day game?
If the award ceremony was at the start of the game it would have been a completely different story. People were attentive to and respectful of the observance ceremony before the game.

Anyone who is silly enough to think that 93 thousand bogans (many of who have been drinking for 3 hours) will be respectful after an emotional loss (it goes both ways) is kidding themselves.

That said, I was respectful because booing is for w***ers and I thought Pendles played a great game.

Sarcasm noted and you were shafted by the umpires but surely the booing of umpires stops when they leave the field?
To persist with the booing during the ceremony and speeches , particularly when the head of the RSL is presenting the medal to a worthy recipient is tasteless and self entitled.
Surely it's not too much to park your understandable frustration and respect the final part of the Anzac day game?
Not sure you could see from where you were but we were flashing moons from the third tier and threatening to throw any Collingwood supporter who cam ner us over the edge.

That said, I was respectful because booing is for w***ers and I thought Pendles played a great game.

I've never booed, but I think people should be allowed to, as long as it's not racist obviously. I usually just complain at the time of a bad umpiring decision, and then grumble quietly later if we lose.

At the end of the day we all do some socially unacceptable things in our lives, but if no one is getting hurt then it's no big deal. How many people here would've taken advantage of a quiet lane way or tree to empty the bladder after a walking out of a pub late at night? Not something you'd do every day on a whim (hopefully), but under those particular circumstances when you feel you just can't hold it.....

Make absolutely no mistake here, the umpiring was so substandard in this game that the real issue SHOULD be whether or not the three officials will be allowed to umpire at the elite level ever again.

And yes, in this case, that substandard umpiring WAS the difference in the game. Essendon were the better side, the ‘actual’ winner, but were denied that standing by incompetence from officiators.

That wasn’t Collingwood’s fault. It wasn’t Buckley’s fault and wasn’t Pendlebury’s fault.

However, Essendon fans at the ground are well within their rights to voice their outrage at an unjust outcome in the only real way they can - by booing the * out of the result.

They didn’t attack opposition fans in the stand, didn’t riot causing damage, and didn’t hurl things at the umpires. They booed.

And like it or not, Pendlebury being presented with the medal and then trophy, is a very real manifestation of the unjust result that had occurred - despite it not being his personal fault. OF COURSE he’s going to be booed.

The blatant hypocrisy from some Collingwood fans is astounding.

This is a fan base that has booed Nick Riewoldt, Jobe Watson, Gary Ablett and Adam Goodes to name a few. To get bent out of shape that one of their own was subject to the same treatment they themselves have dished out is ironic to the extreme, the height of hypocrisy.

I’ve never been one to boo anything more than the occasional poor decision, but I can tell you what I will be doing - in round 23, and in however many games remain against Essendon in his career, I’m going to boo Pendlebury until my throat is hoarse and swollen from the effort. I’m going to boo him so ******* loud and long, that attending games against Collingwood is likely to become a physically painful experience; because let’s face it, he will get a lot of the ball.

And undoubtedly, I won’t be alone. Many will do the same, and Pendlebury will spend the remainder of his career being booed every time he plays Essendon.

Not because I or others have anything against him really, but because despite what hypocritical pricks like Buckley will have you believe, you can do that if you choose to, and I choose to in response to the staggering hypocrisy of the Collingwood fan base.

I will never forget the time when I stood at the far end of Victoria Park and watched Darren Millane spit a mouthful of saliva in Nicky Winmar's face. Summed up Collingwood for me. As for the umpiring, they are digging a huge hole for themselves. Yesterday's umpiring performance wasn't just appalling, it was unprofessional, a really bad look for the game. Essendon fans had every right to be angry and let their feelings out. If people like Whateley don't like booing then they should spend their time at the Opera or having high tea at the Hopetoun Tea Rooms with their elderly relatives.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is hilarious.

Media painting a picture that we were targeting Pendlebury when we were CLEARLY, CLEARLY furious over the completely unjust result.
Old mate Figjam didn't do any favours at all inferring that it was towards Pendlebury either.

Realistically, he deserved the medal, and not one Essendon fan would tell you otherwise.

But for us to have to endure the disgusting officiating that eventually resulted in a loss to us, by 4 points?
s**t yeah we're going to boo. Doesn't matter who was standing up there. The result was enough for people to be completely justified in their anger.

**** off Buckley. **** off AFL media. **** off Gerard Wheatley and his pro-AFL directive, not once questioning the opinion of Dear Leader Gil.

We pay good money to come to the footy, if we want to boo, we'll boo.
Especially when your own officials decide the outcomes of games.

giphy.gif

Not an attack on Pendlebury. Star player. One of the best I've seen.

Clearly, CLEARLY wasn't directed to him.

This is hilarious.

Media painting a picture that we were targeting Pendlebury when we were CLEARLY, CLEARLY furious over the completely unjust result.
Old mate Figjam didn't do any favours at all inferring that it was towards Pendlebury either.

Realistically, he deserved the medal, and not one Essendon fan would tell you otherwise.

But for us to have to endure the disgusting officiating that eventually resulted in a loss to us, by 4 points?
s**t yeah we're going to boo. Doesn't matter who was standing up there. The result was enough for people to be completely justified in their anger.

**** off Buckley. **** off AFL media. **** off Gerard Wheatley and his pro-AFL directive, not once questioning the opinion of Dear Leader Gil.

giphy.gif

I have a feeling I'm going to see this .gif quite a lot, moving forward.

Make absolutely no mistake here, the umpiring was so substandard in this game that the real issue SHOULD be whether or not the three officials will be allowed to umpire at the elite level ever again.

And yes, in this case, that substandard umpiring WAS the difference in the game. Essendon were the better side, the ‘actual’ winner, but were denied that standing by incompetence from officiators.

That wasn’t Collingwood’s fault. It wasn’t Buckley’s fault and wasn’t Pendlebury’s fault.

However, Essendon fans at the ground are well within their rights to voice their outrage at an unjust outcome in the only real way they can - by booing the **** out of the result.

They didn’t attack opposition fans in the stand, didn’t riot causing damage, and didn’t hurl things at the umpires. They booed.

And like it or not, Pendlebury being presented with the medal and then trophy, is a very real manifestation of the unjust result that had occurred - despite it not being his personal fault. OF COURSE he’s going to be booed.

The blatant hypocrisy from some Collingwood fans is astounding.

This is a fan base that has booed Nick Riewoldt, Jobe Watson, Gary Ablett and Adam Goodes to name a few. To get bent out of shape that one of their own was subject to the same treatment they themselves have dished out is ironic to the extreme, the height of hypocrisy.

I’ve never been one to boo anything more than the occasional poor decision, but I can tell you what I will be doing - in round 23, and in however many games remain against Essendon in his career, I’m going to boo Pendlebury until my throat is hoarse and swollen from the effort. I’m going to boo him so ******* loud and long, that attending games against Collingwood is likely to become a physically painful experience; because let’s face it, he will get a lot of the ball.

And undoubtedly, I won’t be alone. Many will do the same, and Pendlebury will spend the remainder of his career being booed every time he plays Essendon.

Not because I or others have anything against him really, but because despite what hypocritical pricks like Buckley will have you believe, you can do that if you choose to, and I choose to in response to the staggering hypocrisy of the Collingwood fan base.
This is hilarious.

giphy.gif

Thanks you 2. My level of rage and anger over the result has returned. And just after I stabilised at about 1pm today to normal levels.

Booing is just considered unsportsmanlike. Being a 'good sport' is to be gracious in accepting defeat, but equally so it is to be humble in winning. I don't mind the 'Collingwood' chant going up during games. It is supporting, cheering on your team and adds to the atmosphere. Putting up the 'Collingwood' chant after the game and during the presentations was not humble in victory, it was arrogant as was Bucks response, particularly after such an epic and close and hard fought ANZAC game.

The umpiring has been bewildering all season. This game just exposed the inconsistencies and even more so because most of them went one way. Joe D giving away a 50 for contesting a mark then numerous players being infringed high/in the back/late after marking and no 50's paid. Collingwood were very good at this and it is no doubt it was a deliberate tactic to slow down our play and was ignored all game by the umpires. Wasn't this the reason the 15m/ 50m penalty was introduced for? There were just so many frees paid, then the exact same thing would happen later in the game and no free. It is inconsistent. What is adding to the fans ire, including myself, is I just don't understand some of the rules, or their interpretations, anymore. Ruck contests? The whistle goes and the players don't know wtf is going on. Holding the ball? Who knows. Ducking? Still gets paid high sometimes and other obvious high tackles get let off? It is confusing. What happened to time-on/off when a player is taking a set shot? When is the clock supposed to stop and start again? Is there a 30 second shot clock at every ground like at Etihad? In the back is paid haphazardly, as are sling tackles, so they both persist in the game. They have just ****ed around so much with the rules/interpretations that the game has become confusing and frustrating for the fans, and I feel also for the players.
I am guessing, also for the umpires!

Mick Malthouse was scathing of the umpiring on the ABC radio after the game. Said he could understand the Essendon crowd reaction and that he felt sorry for the fans, and the players of both teams for having to endure such bewildering umpiring.

He's always more active when Essendon do badly. If I had an add-on for my browser that blocked or mutilated his content in some way I would install it in a heartbeat.
Ive never complained about him before, but what a toxic hypocrite. He is deliberately fueling a tribal us vs them mentality himself.

In that very article he calls out tribalism and takes the angelic high road, then sets up the tribal 'the villains should be punished' narrative.
He bluntly disregards any explanations 'spare me the reasons' and paints all essendon supporters as idiotic inhuman flogs. 'All that needs to be said' -> their emotions dont matter, circumstances dont matter, they are all just worthless people, he implies.

He even includes a picture of people in the crowd, just in case the internet mobs he is trying to whip up want someone specific to target. That s**t actually destroys lives.

He attacked Gary Ablett, but because Ablett responds to him he is now ok and now he attacks hawthorn supporters for booing Ablett and... agreeing with him?
But hawthorn supporters are still "marginally better" than essendon supporters. He just throws that in to keep as much division as possible.

He just attacks everyone and seems to want everyone to fight each other. Especially if he gets to direct the mob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back