Opinion The booing of umpires (esp when they walk on to the field pre-match)

Remove this Banner Ad

Alphonse_

Matching On Together
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I think that is horrible and childish behaviour, if not downright bullying.

Who will speak up for these poor referees who cop far more abuse and supporter wrath, than the likes of Gazza and Pendles.

Never seen a major AFL figure speak out against the mistreatment of umpires, even when James Hird publicly humiliated Scott McLaren all those years ago on The Footy Show, most of the pubic sympathy at that time was with Hird.

Seriously, I think an honest and robust discussion of the mistreatment of umpires is needed, it's not their fault the clowns at AFL House change the rules every year, making an already hard game to adjudicate, even more difficult

Had to laugh when Ed was getting up on his high horse about the Pendles booing that it was still fine to boo the umpires

Don't boo the footballers on opposition sides who you don't like and have never been better remunerated in history. Do boo the umpires who more and more each year are set up to fail with an impossible job

Boo the * out of them, I say this as a former ump who did the odd ammos game and would have a soft spot for their plight.

The s**t they don't call... geez. There needs to be an overhaul and vast reduction of the importance of fitness. The rules have changed drastically and the speed of the game simply way too fast for the three-umpire system in place.

Even the way the four-umpire is designed will cover the middle of the ground more than what is at the end of the grounds.

Low-key, they need 6 umps and have it about calling it correctly rather than it all be about positioning to even see an infringement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had to laugh when Ed was getting up on his high horse about the Pendles booing that it was still fine to boo the umpires

Don't boo the footballers on opposition sides who you don't like and have never been better remunerated in history. Do boo the umpires who more and more each year are set up to fail with an impossible job

He wasn't the only one, slobbo Whateley etc all said boo the umpires aswell but not the players. Now wait a month before 360 does umpire appreciation and fat guts says he's lost all faith in humanity over umpire treatment

If players make enough mistakes they get dropped. Do umpires?

Yes. There’s probably been plenty of dropped umpires, but they wouldn’t always be dropped for their decision making. They are graded on around 5-6 different aspects. If they s**t the bed on their mid zone efforts and * up their end zone positioning then they can be dropped for that. I’d be confident to say that less than half the time umpires get dropped are for their decision making.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think that is horrible and childish behaviour, if not downright bullying.

Who will speak up for these poor referees who cop far more abuse and supporter wrath, than the likes of Gazza and Pendles.

Never seen a major AFL figure speak out against the mistreatment of umpires, even when James Hird publicly humiliated Scott McLaren all those years ago on The Footy Show, most of the pubic sympathy at that time was with Hird.

Seriously, I think an honest and robust discussion of the mistreatment of umpires is needed, it's not their fault the clowns at AFL House change the rules every year, making an already hard game to adjudicate, even more difficult
It's fine.

They have been doing a terrible job all season and the AFL bare a lot of responsibility for that, but the inconsistency throughout games is what gets fans upset.

Umpires cop it in all sports but what Australian Umps cop is nothing compared to soccer refs in the UK or major US Sports, who seem more competent than ours.

We haven't seen anything as bad as this:

Is it possible to have a booing the umpire thread without this, the Umpire of Umpires?

"And Ill be back AGAIN, as a specTATOR!"

Boo the **** out of them, I say this as a former ump who did the odd ammos game and would have a soft spot for their plight.

The **** they don't call... geez. There needs to be an overhaul and vast reduction of the importance of fitness. The rules have changed drastically and the speed of the game simply way too fast for the three-umpire system in place.

Even the way the four-umpire is designed will cover the middle of the ground more than what is at the end of the grounds.

Low-key, they need 6 umps and have it about calling it correctly rather than it all be about positioning to even see an infringement.

Geez. Then they can throw flags and announce the infringement to the fans, allowing a coaches challenge.

Seriously, I'm not sure more umpires will make a huge difference. It's not as though poor decisions come purely from guessing. They are just seeing it as they see it in that split second IMO.

We're any of the games you umpired recorded? Did you just guess?

Geez. Then they can throw flags and announce the infringement to the fans, allowing a coaches challenge.

Seriously, I'm not sure more umpires will make a huge difference. It's not as though poor decisions come purely from guessing. They are just seeing it as they see it in that split second IMO.

We're any of the games you umpired recorded? Did you just guess?
90 percent of the time I don't, last time I guessed... still remember it lol. Would have been a game I was filling while in Darwin during the Wet Season. It was 100 percent humidity, it was 35 plus degrees and I was sweating so hard my sunscreen running off my forehead blinded me exactly when I needed to make a HTB call. It was the correct decision, but I could I see it? Hell no, I have was blind. So sometimes guessing happens.

But admittedly I struggled with free kicks right smack bang in my vision within 5 metres of me, mainly because stuff happening that fast right in front of you can be missed. You're just too close to actually see it properly oddly enough. Do wonder if the speed of AFL plays a factor for the umps constantly needing to re-adjust into optimal spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back