Random The Book Club

Remove this Banner Ad

I just got around to finishing The Book Thief too.. I think I started it a few years ago and then never really got around to finishing it. It was awesome.

I also want to start on the Ripley series by Patricia Highsmith. It's so sad that the first thing to go during my uni semester is leisure reading, I forget how much I enjoy it.

I just got around to finishing The Book Thief too.. I think I started it a few years ago and then never really got around to finishing it. It was awesome.

Thought it would be worth re-starting this thread with summer approaching, this is one of the books on my to-read list :thumbsu: Am fascinated by novels set in the WWII/Holocaust era due to my Jewish heritage and having read The Street Sweeper last year.

I'm keen to check out Peter FitzSimons' new book 'Eureka' as well (non-fiction), I feel I should learn more about Aussie history.

Any other recommendations? I finally read 'Moneyball' this year and loved it (partly because I kept seeing similarities with the Swans recruiting strategy!), I really liked 'Boomerang: Travels in the New Third World', another book by Michael Lewis, as well, he has that ability to make any topic engaging, even the global financial crisis. Might have to check out some of his other stuff, he is a great storyteller.

reading 2 books atm
breath by tim winton and harry potter and the prisoner of azkaban

Interesting choice, one's by an author who writes like they live, detached from reality and often runs fanciful stroylines with themes criticising human beings and leaves an implication through their characters a sense of smug superiority over the entire human race.

The other is by JK Rowling.

I tend to have a few on the go at once...

The Power of Now - Eckhart Tolle
Moranthology - Caitlin Moran

Thinking about re-reading The Hobbit again soon too.

I just finished Zoo by James Patterson. Normally I like those end of world/animal attack kind of books, Jurrasic Park, Temple, etc. are some of my favourites but Zoo was ok at best. Can't see myself reading it again. Jumps all over the place and is extremely rushed in parts.

I just finished Zoo by James Patterson. Normally I like those end of world/animal attack kind of books, Jurrasic Park, Temple, etc. are some of my favourites but Zoo was ok at best. Can't see myself reading it again. Jumps all over the place and is extremely rushed in parts.

You've been at work for an hour... amazing what these bankers do in a downturn.

Has anyone read Brett Kirk's book yet?

I kind of want to read it but at the same time I'm worried it will be a sickening cringe fest. If the title of the book (Brave Heart) is any indication of the content then I think I'll give it a miss.

If you're looking for a book full of stories and anecdotes from his AFL career, you will be very disappointed. There are some references to footy and the Swans, esp. the 05 premiership but these are interspersed with anecdotes from the other areas of his life - both pre- and post-football - and all these stories are related by the life lesson he is trying to impart in that particular chapter.

To be honest, it's more apt for bookstores to stock it in the self help section than in the sports section.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you're looking for a book full of stories and anecdotes from his AFL career, you will be very disappointed. There are some references to footy and the Swans, esp. the 05 premiership but these are interspersed with anecdotes from the other areas of his life - both pre- and post-football - and all these stories are related by the life lesson he is trying to impart in that particular chapter.

To be honest, it's more apt for bookstores to stock it in the self help section than in the sports section.

Sounds a bit like Paul & Tami Roos' book then which I read a couple of years ago and enjoyed, even though like you said it was probably more suited to the self help section - it had lots of little bits and pieces of wisdom which I still turn to now and again.

Thought I'd try to get some off-season activity going here. Post the last book you read, and the book you area reading now.

Just finished reading: David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell.

Currently reading: The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis.

Just finished the little heralded 36 days by Hugh Dolan. The story of the lead up to the Gallipoli landings and the Bristish spy who knew the landing details after been captured blabbed the details of the Bristish and Anzac landings at Helles and Z beach (anzac cove) respectively after some nuffy let him on a high risk submarine operation.

A great read to understand about why the ANZACS 'there in the first place and why they landed at Z beach and what there actual objectives were.

It's not the story of the landing itself but the lead up to it and the army intelligence and strategy behind it. It also covers the Turkish movements and commanders preparedness and the British Naval Intelligence Lieutenant Charles Palmer who every Australian should know the name of, simply because a lot of Aussies got killed by him opening his mouth.

It Raises a lot of questions about why the allies even wanted a 2nd front there in the first place.

I haven't read a lot of war books but I have a bit of an interest in the genre after reading the Peter FitzSimons bio of Nancy Wake which was absolutely fascinating. I see the ABC is developing a new series about the Anzacs which is coming out next year and is based on the book The Other Anzacs by Peter Rees if you have heard of it.

Waiting for a few books to be released such as The Door of Stone by Roffus (not sure his last name), the Kingkiller chronicles. Recently got the 3rd book of the Lies of Locke Lamora series and author decided to do a plot twist that was completely unnecessary and largely shite. Very bad start to the summer reading season

I love my non-fiction, but of the 68 books i've read so far this year, none have been non-fiction o_O Anyway, I think that's about to change. Love my railway history books, and there's one about the GWR I want to read badly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back