Star Wars The Book of Boba Fett

Remove this Banner Ad

You dont know how it ends so stuff that happened this episode could be important for the rest of the Boba Fett storyline.
Like I said a bit later, it's all about plugging the Mando storyline, and that's just been blatantly revealed. 2022's pecking order is not the one I dare say was assumed right up until 2019. You don't get a main character through the hoop in a seven parter by ignoring him in an entire episode with a plot he had no involvement in from another show. He's already just the getaway driver in Mando, but wasn't there for darksaber, Moff Gideon, anything worthwhile with Bo Katan, hasn't met the armourer, wasn't part of the Purge...they've got two episodes to wrap all of the current business and then fit him into an entirely different story if your suggestion is the case....

And everyone else is saying the same thing...what did I just watch...?

Mando is just so much more cooler than Boba Fett now.

Boba having his helmet off most of the time has added to it
That's my grumble almost in a nutshell. How you can take the 1980 Empire BF and reduce him to below the level of the Mando character...they were thinking of time travel in the board meetings when deciding how they'd tackle Episode 9...starting to think it's not such a bad idea...

That's my grumble almost in a nutshell. How you can take the 1980 Empire BF and reduce him to below the level of the Mando character...they were thinking of time travel in the board meetings when deciding how they'd tackle Episode 9...starting to think it's not such a bad idea...

You need to let go of '1980 Boba Fett' who had two lines and barely did anything. Mando in this episode was very explicitly much more ruthless and aggressive than BF to show the different parts in their journeys the two characters are.

Mando in this episode was very explicitly much more ruthless and aggressive than BF to show the different parts in their journeys the two characters are.
Honestly, I thought it was to show him returning to his older ways without worrying about his influence on Grogu.

Much like a lot of things in this series, I feel like Boba Fett was an afterthought.

Honestly, I thought it was to show him returning to his older ways without worrying about his influence on Grogu.

Much like a lot of things in this series, I feel like Boba Fett was an afterthought.

If anything I think it was more to show how much he was missing Grogu and regressing as a result. It's why he was getting the gift for Grogu, looking at it on the ship, then heading off to give it to Grogu at the end of the ep.

I find this an interesting argument that I disagree with. Many are saying why we can't see the bad-as Boba Fett from the Empire Strikes back and the years immediately preceding that.

The answer is that Filoni and Favreau are following the George Lucas vision of changing characters as events happen to them. Take Luke in Return of the Jedi. He is wise, a little arrogant, sure of himself, and confident. This is totally different to how he was in A New Hope.

Han Solo, the same. When we first meet him he's a smuggler (a criminal, basically) and a loner who is only out for himself. Yet by Jedi, he is a General, leading dozens of people and embracing the "family" he has become part of.

Darth Vader, also. In Empire he is killing people left right and center, yet in Jedi he is much more contemplative and doesn't actually kill anyone (apart from the Emperor). At one point half way through the movie he even says to Luke, "It is too late for me, son"

Imagine someone complaining that the Darth Vader we see in Return of he Jedi isn't the real Darth Vader because he isn't doing bad-ass murdering. Well of course he's not. He went through a major event in the last film, meeting his son and that has changed him.

We can draw parallels to Boba Fett. When we meet him in this new show he has had a near death experience, and was "left for dead on the sands of Tatooine." His body is banged up, his outlook has obviously changed and logically this changes his actions in the future. He even says "I'm sick of working for people that are going to get me killed." Hence his "career" change.

One of the criticisms of the sequels (which I don't even acknowledge as canon) is that the characters don't change. Rey is unstoppable, and ridiculously overpowered in Episode 7 and pretty much remains that way through to Episode 9. Characters need to change as events happen to them. They just have to. George Lucas knew this and I'm sure Filoni and Favreau are following through with that vision.

The other more practical reason why Boba can't be a bounty hunter any more is much more obvious. We've already had two seasons of a show abut a guy in Mandalorian armor being a bounty hunter. We clearly can't have a new program about a different character in Mandalorian armor who is also a bounty hunter. That would be stupid.

Boba has changed, just as Luke, Han, Vader (Anakin) Obi-Wan and others did as major events happened to them. This is a good thing, as it grows the character, and evolves them. He perhaps isn't as ruthless as he was, but that's okay. He was saved by the Tusken Raiders and for the first time understood the importance of "family" and being part of a tribe - something he had never experienced before. Before this, he was always a loner

Last edited:
I don't think there is a S2 but who knows.

It’s a bit of a Disney+ thing to announce that within or after the season finale. ie, The Book of Boba Fett was announced after a post credits scene. At the beginning of the Loki end credits, it’s titled “Loki will return in season 2....” etc.

I’m almost certain there will be, more so out of necessity for whatever storyline is being woven here. But will have to wait and see if it’s confirmed.

Maybe he goes to the Hutts to recruit more muscle (go on, get the Twins on the team), that would at least make their two minute cameo worthwhile? If he hadn't already got Krrsantan involved I could picture it.

You're not wrong with the Pykes. Another thing this series hasn't done particularly well.

Yes the story has pivoted a fair bit since their cameo, which was great I must say. Particularly that first appearance/stare down with Krrsantan. I mistakenly thought the twins will be the main adversaries for the remainder of the series, and a showdown between Krrsantan and Boba was on the cards.

I find this an interesting argument that I disagree with. Many are saying why we can't see the bad-as Boba Fett from the Empire Strikes back and the years immediately preceding that.

The answer is that Filoni and Favreau are following the George Lucas vision of changing characters as events happen to them. Take Luke in Return of the Jedi. He is wise, a little arrogant, sure of himself, and confident. This is totally different to how he was in A New Hope.

Han Solo, the same. When we first meet him he's a smuggler (a criminally basically) and a loner who is only out for himself. Yet by Jedi, he is a General, leading dozens of people and embracing the "family" he has become part of.

Darth Vader, also. In Empire he is killing people left right and center, yet in Jedi he is much more contemplative and doesn't actually kill anyone (apart from the Emperor). At one point half way through the movie he even says to Luke, "It is too late for me, son"

Imagine someone complaining that the Darth Vader we see in Return of he Jedi isn't the real Darth Vader because he isn't doing bad-ass murdering. Well of course he's not. He went through a major event in the last film, meeting his son and that has changed him.

We can draw parallels to Boba Fett. When we meet him in this new show he has had a near death experience, and was "left for dead on the sands of Tatooine." His body is banged up, his outlook has obviously changed and logically this changes his actions in the future. He even says "I'm sick of working for people that are going to get me killed." Hence his "career" change.

One of the criticisms of the sequels (which I don't even acknowledge as canon) is that the characters don't change. Rey is unstoppable, and ridiculously overpowered in Episode 7 and pretty much remains that way through to Episode 9. Characters need to change as events happen to them. They just have to. George Lucas knew this and I'm sure Filoni and Favreau are following through with that vision.

The other more practical reason why Boba can't be a bounty hunter any more is much more obvious. We've already had two seasons of a show abut a guy in Mandalorian armor being a bounty hunter. We clearly can't have a new program about a different character in Mandalorian armor who is also a bounty hunter. That would be stupid.

Boba has changed, just as Luke, Han, Vader (Anakin) Obi-Wan and others did as major events happened to them. This is a good thing, as it grows the character, and evolves them. He perhaps isn't as ruthless as he was, but that's okay. He was saved by the Tusken Raiders and for the first time understood the importance of "family" and being part of a tribe - something he had never experienced before. Before this, he was always a loner

Spot on.

Boba has changed, just as Luke, Han, Vader (Anakin) Obi-Wan and others did as major events happened to them. This is a good thing, as it grows the character, and evolves them.
It's kind of a bad thing too, due to the way the change has been portrayed. The 'nobody respects you' line has been the most spot on thing this season, but time and time again we've been shown other characters showing deference to BF for underexplained reasons. It took nearly half the season to add some detail to why the second most important character shows deference to the apparent protagonist, who has clearly changed for the apparent weaker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Han Solo, the same. When we first meet him he's a smuggler (a criminally basically) and a loner who is only out for himself. Yet by Jedi, he is a General, leading dozens of people and embracing the "family" he has become part of.

I like this post (even if you lost me a bit with the sequel comment, I'm not convinced at all characters in the sequel trilogy don't change and grow but let's no get into it) and I think it's really interesting take.

I think the huge gap of decades between stories makes it difficult for people to reconcile these changes - Boba Fett has spent 30 years in people's imaginations being bad ass (which is interesting in itself given that last time we saw him he got accidentally killed by a blind man), so even when the story calls for it people just don't want to see him changed. I agree it is conceptually much more interesting to have the character grow and change paths, my worry is whether they've pulled it off well. Maybe we're making the call too early, and maybe they will. Who knows?

It's kind of a bad thing too, due to the way the change has been portrayed. The 'nobody respects you' line has been the most spot on thing this season, but time and time again we've been shown other characters showing deference to BF for underexplained reasons. It took nearly half the season to add some detail to why the second most important character shows deference to the apparent protagonist, who has clearly changed for the apparent weaker.

The detail about Shand deferring to Fett has been known since Mandalorian S2.

Here's my take on the "I don't respect you" line.

Boba is, of course a clone whose father Jango was selected, presumably for his physical prowess - things like strength, speed, coordination, etc; all the things that would make a good soldier. What's interesting is that those physical attributes don't help you when you decide to become a crime lord. All of a sudden instead of working by yourself as a loner with great physical attributes, he has to learn how to negotiate, listen and to manage the various interest that have a stake in the Tatooine underworld. His physical attributes don't help him.

It makes sense that he doesn't master it immediately, just as it makes sense that Luke fails to master the force immediately.

I don't necessarily want to see every single character be a total master of their craft. Going through challenges, failing and growing are part of the journey for Star Wars characters and I don't mind if they do this with Boba. I've got no doubt he will grow into his role as crime lord and I'm fine with that.

You need to let go of '1980 Boba Fett' who had two lines and barely did anything. Mando in this episode was very explicitly much more ruthless and aggressive than BF to show the different parts in their journeys the two characters are.
I don't have to do anything of the sort! And you've just said exactly what I've said the whole time is the problem - the journey BF has taken. It's like they've exhumed the corpse just so they can piss on it...

I don't have to do anything of the sort! And you've just said exactly what I've said the whole time is the problem - the journey BF has taken. It's like they've exhumed the corpse just so they can piss on it...

I bet you hated Luke in TLJ too. Just because a character changes from your nostalgia doesn't make it wrong.

It makes sense that he doesn't master it immediately, just as it makes sense that Luke fails to master the force immediately.

I don't necessarily want to see every single character be a total master of their craft. Going through challenges, failing and growing are part of the journey for Star Wars characters and I don't mind if they do this with Boba. I've got no doubt he will grow into his role as crime lord and I'm fine with that.
That's fine. But why then as the the filmmaker do you continually show people showing respect and deference to him?

The detail about Shand deferring to Fett has been known since Mandalorian S2.
That's not what I'm getting at; it's the portrayal. There's plenty of other examples of life-saving including Han rescuing Luke on Hoth, but Luke doesn't immediately become Han's subordinate. He goes off and does his own thing almost immediately.

IMO Shand's portayal has been shown almost like she has a Wookiee life-debt for half a season of the Mandalorian, and nearly half of this show. This despite being shown as a capable assassin, with her own career options.

That's fine. But why then as the the filmmaker do you continually show people showing respect and deference to him?

That's not what I'm getting at; it's the portrayal. There's plenty of other examples of life-saving including Han rescuing Luke on Hoth, but Luke doesn't immediately become Han's subordinate. He goes off and does his own thing almost immediately.

IMO Shand's portayal has been shown almost like she has a Wookiee life-debt for half a season of the Mandalorian, and nearly half of this show. This despite being shown as a capable assassin, with her own career options.

What have they shown in BoBF that makes it any more understandable then? From what I've seen all we've gotten was to actually see the flashback that was explained in The Mandalorian.

Han Solo, the same. When we first meet him he's a smuggler (a criminal, basically) and a loner who is only out for himself. Yet by Jedi, he is a General, leading dozens of people and embracing the "family" he has become part of.

You can have that, never said to anyone they couldn't. But you have a couple of points here that are easily challenged:

1) Vader already knew the entire time he was chasing his son, soon after he found out the destroyer of the DS was named Skywalker. The sudden change in heart is more jarring as a result.
2) BF is the original bounty hunter. Stupid? It's sillier that they created an upmarket new character whose basically a stereotypical rip off of an original, and you're then saying that it's the original who needs to change IN HIS OWN SHOW...adding insult to injury, it's while the usurper is in the middle of crashing his show...!
3) You then say you don't recognise the sequels. Are you one of the many who bemoaned the carbon copy of E4 that gave us E7?
4) Are you also one who was disgusted at the treatment of Skywalker? Contradictory - you say no one was developed as a character. You didn't care to mention Hux, Kylo, Poe. And Rey doesn't develop? That's nuts...! Which side of the fence are you on - ROS saved the trilogy, or TLJ was a golden opportunity badly handled in ROS?
5) You don't have to do squat though, to each his own...I counter your dismissal of the sequels with one of my own, a claim that ROTJ is the worst movie of the 11, and is responsible for the flaws of not only the sequels but just about everything that has been revealed since 1983. Almost every single part of that movie is a downturn of the promise that was Empire, and it's protected by this weird level of sentiment for the OT...you can't say anything negative about it without being labelled a heretic! But if you get where I'm coming from, you'll see why I live here in 1980 when it comes to SW. The journey of BF since Jabba - that's where Filoni and Co were forced to come from via your theory of character development, his stupid demise and fans knee jerk reaction demanding his return. At least when I'm grumbling about the journey of BF, he's coming from a position of strength and they haven't f###ed him up yet. Why do we need a family friendly story? We get one because, in the middle of filming warrior teddy bears, muppets with fangs and cute elephants playing keyboards, they had this great idea to slapstick the death of the most formidable non-force user in it, and put a bumper sticker on the back of his helmet labelling him a schmuck...and slapstick is also a GL SW trademark by way of his vision (half of Threepio's repertoire for a start!), so be careful what you're promoting here...

I bet you hated Luke in TLJ too. Just because a character changes from your nostalgia doesn't make it wrong.
I absolutely loved the degeneration of Luke. It made total sense that a guy who did a one week TAFE course to become a Jedi, tried to restore a galactic order all by himself with no instruction from anyone except two incoherent ghosts who wouldn't give him a straight answer, and then bit off way more than he can chew trying to train more powerful force users than he was, would experience huge moments of self doubt that could easily tip him over the edge when he realised the ramifications for the entire galaxy. He came back beautifully. TLJ for me is so far ahead of the JJ movies that they shouldn't even be lumped together. If you now tell me that you didn't like TLJ after coming out with that snippet up top, I'll know that you are two different people...

You seem to have an erroneous perception that I think other people have ruined my childhood. No. 1) I grew up seeing the first SW at the cinema, my initiation to footy was the eighties Hawks and Essendon, and I've had a musical career spawned from eighties heavy metal...I won the frigging lottery at birth. I don't need nostalgia, because I still live it, great place to be. 2) I'm all about characters and stories, but I hate seeing things dumbed down for the masses, which is exactly where the biggest populist entertainment juggernaut of all time is taking SW (although GL didn't exactly make it difficult for them)...

I don't have to agree with the masses. A character has changed from my preferred point - doesn't make me wrong for wishing it went somewhere different to where the suits and those with the keys took it. I don't understand why you have an issue with that...

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back